Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana
DH = Devoted Husband (or Deranged Husband, depending on your point of view
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif)
Or in the case of the first one I married D*ck head. The second one is Dear Husband.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Hi Geordie,

I can say with all honesty that I have never heard of anyone, or experienced anyone thinking of wog as offensive in Oz. I think I'm in a good position to speak from experience as I live in the Maltese capital of Oz, and yeah, we're all a bunch of "wogs" - honestly, nobody cares, it's not a put down up here but a neutral term. I can understand how people who aren't used to it can think it's a derogatory term, especially considering it used to be years ago (in Oz). As I said, I even call myself a wog, and I wouldn't even consider doing that if it was self depreciating.

It might be different in some southern cities etc where there perhaps is more racial tension, but the northern half of Oz tended to get over it all long time ago, whether that is difficult to believe or not.

You are quite right though, I cannot speak for every single person in Oz obviously. I can understand it might be offensive in some places, but that is not really the case up here.

Regards,
Vegemite.

Last edited by Vegemite; Apr 21st 2007 at 10:44 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:43 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
Hi Geordie,

I can say with all honesty that I have never heard of anyone, or experienced anyone thinking of wog as offensive in Oz. I think I'm in a good position to speak from experience as I live in the Maltese capital of Oz, and yeah, we're all a bunch of "wogs" - honestly, nobody cares, it's not a put down up here but a neutral term. I can understand how people who aren't used to it can think it's a derogatory term, especially considering it used to be years ago (in Oz). As I said, I even call myself a wog, and I wouldn't even consider doing that if it was self depreciating.

It might be different in some southern cities etc where there perhaps is more racial tension, but the northern half of Oz tended to get over it all long time ago, whether that is difficult to believe or not.

You are quite right though, I cannot speak for every single person in Oz obviously. I can understand it might be offensive in some places, but definately not up here.

Regards,
Vegemite.
I've met a couple of people who would disagree. Just like I've met a couple of people who would disagree about the use of the term Pom. I suppose that's why you can't say nobody cares - someone will, somewhere. You can only ever speak for yourself, not everyone.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Geordie,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

Can I ask where you are? I think if you travelled to NQ you'd find the majority of people (especially in places with a strong Latin heritage) wouldn't find it terribly offensive.

Regards,
Vegemite.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:00 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Geordie,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.

Can I ask where you are? I think if you travelled to NQ you'd find the majority of people (especially in places with a strong Latin heritage) wouldn't find it terribly offensive.

Regards,
Vegemite.
I'm exactly where my location says I am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:04 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I'm exactly where my location says I am.
She lives in one of the most multicultural locations in Australia, if that's any help. Pretty popular with people with a southern european / middle eastern heritage, judging by the real estate agents' jargon for the particular region's suburbs (Little Italy / Little Greece / Little Portugal - they're always little...)
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:05 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by chels
She lives in one of the most multicultural locations in Australia, if that's any help. Pretty popular with people with a southern european / middle eastern heritage, judging by the real estate agents' jargon for the particular region's suburbs (Little Italy / Little Greece / Little Portugal - they're always little...)
Ah, just the lady. I'll PM you.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Geordie and Chels,

hmmm...that explains it then....Melbourne or Sydney by any chance??
Sorry you chose to live in the lower bum part of Australia!
heh heh heh. Just jokinĀ“

Cheers,
Vegemite.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Geordie and Chels,

hmmm...that explains it then....Melbourne or Sydney by any chance??
Sorry you chose to live in the lower bum part of Australia!
heh heh heh. Just jokinĀ“

Cheers,
Vegemite.
No, up in the clouds, like her location says. It's a great place, I love visiting.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
You are born then go to school and then work and get a partner and have kids and pay taxes and get stuck in traffic and then die

in england (manches=ter in my experience) it pisses it down very often
In australia it will be sunnier and warmer

Whats the difference there. none.

Maybe not being able to get next clothing or go to boots or get a mars bar is horrifying for some people but not for me.

Paxing 10% GST on things WOW 17.5% in the uk.

This is my sensible answerable question to you:

What are major cultural differences between oz and the uk for you.

thanks

not trying to be an arse, i just want to see why i will be shocked and prepare myself.

al
I don't know about the east coast but Perth gets more annual rainfall than Manchester.