Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:04 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Now, now ladies put those handbags away
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I think we could see Gauchos at dawn.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:15 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
So who gave you the right to criticise or judge my post or anything I say? Quite different from disagreeing I'd say.
I wouldn't say criticism and disagreement are that different....but then I'm a pedant

You're the one that wants freedom of speech on the forums

(Looking at that link)You seem to have a problem with anyone generalizing anything or trying to offer advice (even if it has been requested).
Should this forum shut down then and people only ever find anything out first-hand?
Generalisations are dangerous IMO and offer nothing constructive to an argument except for scope for arguing.

I am running out of energy for this now- it's the first time I have been involved in any real discussion here on BE. I'll just read threads with useful information (although not this thread) and not write from now on I think.
Lesson learned.

oh, for God's sake....stop taking things so personally
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:16 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Jealous cos you're not in a pointless argument?

for once
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:17 pm
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Bix
I think we could see Gauchos at dawn.
Midday at the earliest...I'm not an early riser, and stay up late
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Geez...I have gotten to the end of these posts right here and I've got to say I am exhausted!

I am Australian and I would like to say that like all places, there is good and bad in every place, including Australia. People who can't admit that about any country they live in irritate me to be honest.

I also want to ask some posters here what their idea of culture is, and would like to point out that the definition of culture should be a very fluid thing, and not contained to preconceived ideas of what that entails. No-body has exclusivity on the meaning of 'culture', unless you think that the aborignees and other native populations across the world had no culture? In Australia, an outdoor way of life is just a legitimate form of culture as a quaint pub culture, very old buildings culture, theatre etc that exists in England. Both are perfectly worthwhile cultures, but they are just different to each other.

About not wearing shoes - who cares if people don't wear shoes? I don't think people should be labelled bohemians etc because of it.

Life here in Oz is pretty different to life in the U.K. Obviously most western countries share similarities, like going to work, etc etc, but I would have to say that the overall differences between Oz and the UK are pretty specific and defined. The UK is much more an indoors type of lifestyle, for example. You don't get up in the dark in the winter time and come home in the dark (compared to northern Oz). It doesn´t drizzle, we don't salute the queen as much, we don't consider anyone 'commoners', etc etc.

Re calling people wogs...its almost a term of affection in Oz. I even call myself a wog. Nobody finds it offensive in Australia. They did about 50 years ago, but today, as I said, its not perceived as offensive.

Anyway, over and out,

Vegemite.

Last edited by Vegemite; Apr 20th 2007 at 5:21 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Bluewaters will become famous soon enough

Don't mean to piss on anyone's bonfire, but I'd go back tomorrow if I could. Problem is, I've Got a DH who loves it here and kids who have been brought up here, in good 'ol WA (wait awhile), 7 1/2 years down, and I hate the place, if DH would agree would book flights 2morrow. Not nostalgia, I have been back 4 times since we emigrated in 2000, most recently in Nov 06, cost of living, wages and social life is so much better. Everything is so much better in UK, even miss the cold! Weather, yes it is good here , but 15 weeks of 35 plus is too much. (And yes I do have air-con). Not a negative opinion just the truth I think. Not many pple want to admit it but Beaches and sun r not all they r cracked up to b, and if we r honest what else does WA have to offer??
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Bluewaters,

Sorry to hear that. What does DH stand for by the way? I was giggling to myself at the possibilities.

Ya know not everywhere in Oz is 35 plus for 15 weeks, take Tasmania and most parts of Queensland, NWS, Victoria and the ACT, for example.

There´s heaps to do in W.A if you´re a nature orientated person. I sometimes wonder why people bother immigrating to Oz if they aren´t that way inclined.

I agree it´s not being nagative, you are just stating your truth. Hope you find happiness.

Regards,
Vegemite
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:03 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I do think people who come with just the pictures from neighbours can suffer because as soon as your earning dollars, the picture is not so rosy.

Reccies are a difficult issue , some cant afford it, some just do one place. I find all Aussies cities completely different, and picking the right one is hard, and its horses for courses.

Jobs.. most people would struggle to find a new job in the uk if the move 100 miles, so getting one in Oz get be so much harder than some expect.

Pubs/football/sat tv UK lifestyle, just doesn't happen.. The pubs are different, there's limited football and the tv is not the best in the world..
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:06 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluewaters
Don't mean to piss on anyone's bonfire, but I'd go back tomorrow if I could. Problem is, I've Got a DH who loves it here and kids who have been brought up here, in good 'ol WA (wait awhile), 7 1/2 years down, and I hate the place, if DH would agree would book flights 2morrow. Not nostalgia, I have been back 4 times since we emigrated in 2000, most recently in Nov 06, cost of living, wages and social life is so much better. Everything is so much better in UK, even miss the cold! Weather, yes it is good here , but 15 weeks of 35 plus is too much. (And yes I do have air-con). Not a negative opinion just the truth I think. Not many pple want to admit it but Beaches and sun r not all they r cracked up to b, and if we r honest what else does WA have to offer??
But bear in mind that others, such as myself, would not go back to the UK if you paid us. A matter of personal choice, perceptions and values. Both view points of view are perfectly valid.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:45 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Jealous cos you're not in a pointless argument?

for once
Absolutely
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:14 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Really? You speak for every Australian then?! That sounds like a rather sweeping generalisation to my mind.

Originally Posted by Vegemite
Re calling people wogs...its almost a term of affection in Oz. I even call myself a wog. Nobody finds it offensive in Australia. They did about 50 years ago, but today, as I said, its not perceived as offensive.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:20 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> Anyway, over and out<<

Since the thread is now about pedantry, that's oxymoronic.... <g>
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Pubs/football/sat tv UK lifestyle, just doesn't happen..
Thank God....I can't think of anything worse - those three together. It's definitely the No 1 cultural thing about the Uk I don't miss.

Each to his own(!)
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
I do think people who come with just the pictures from neighbours can suffer because as soon as your earning dollars, the picture is not so rosy.

Reccies are a difficult issue , some cant afford it, some just do one place. I find all Aussies cities completely different, and picking the right one is hard, and its horses for courses.

Jobs.. most people would struggle to find a new job in the uk if the move 100 miles, so getting one in Oz get be so much harder than some expect.

Pubs/football/sat tv UK lifestyle, just doesn't happen.. The pubs are different, there's limited football and the tv is not the best in the world..
DH = Devoted Husband (or Deranged Husband, depending on your point of view
)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.