Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Originally Posted by biggy
get yer sussies oan lol

Stop stalking me and asking to see me in sussies.

There, everyone will think you're a loony now
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:11 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We aint even been to a hot country before coming blind to the tropics.
In fact we hadn't even been to another country cept crossing the border into England once or twice.
Never been anywhere on holiday before.

And as for reccie......well, we didn't like Bob Marley much
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Hottest place I've been is Crete - never been out of Europe. I'm half-English (but have a British passport), so quite a large part of my family isn't in the UK - but to be honest, I see my non-English mother more than I see most of my English relatives. I spent a large part of my childhood outside of the UK.

My FIL lived in Australia for a while and as I understand it, was in the army (he has a rather *chequered* history ) Dh has wanted to live in Australia (yes live, not visit) since he was a child and we initially started the process in 2004 before being knocked back at the TRA stage (for not providing enough evidence).

Why? No idea, he doesn't either, only says he feels drawn to the place. I don't think we'll be necessarily better off financially (if anything, we'd probably be on less money), but for me, it's the challenge of it. Going somewhere completely different and making a go of it. I like a good challenge to get my teeth into and I'm not known for EVER giving up. Knowing me I'll probably make every language gaff known to man (heaven knows I make enough just living in Yorkshire), but I have a very thick skin

I love walking around barefoot and have pottered down the street without shoes here, so clearly I'm currently in the wrong place (S.Yorks mining village)

My eldest two children are really up for it as well - from what I can make out, the general lifestyle is more 'outdoors' and that would suit them well. My 10 year old is rather sporty, likes skating etc. and is a 'kid's kid' (always out in a large group) and the eldest is really interested in animals and wants us to move out to the sticks (I don't think so ), he really likes bats (so any recommendations on places where he can see loads of bats are welcome ) and, rather more worryingly, spiders (although I'll be putting my foot down about picking them up like he does here). The youngest two are really young, so I have no doubt will adapt well.

We've moved around a bit as it is, so the boys have experience of moving somewhere new and needing to start again - moving to Australia will be this with bells on, but all the kids are strong people and I've no doubt they'll deal.

The main concern I have is dh (the one who suggested it in the first place) dying of heat exhaustion (he's a plasterer) or a heart attack (scared of spiders - and in fact, most small things that scuttle around - me and the eldest son are the spider catchers in this house, that also includes stunned or mauled birds, etc.) and I would miss my MIL, as she's only round the corner, so fantastic in the babysitting stakes, plus as a SAHM it's nice to have someone turn up on the doorstep asking for a coffee on a regular basis - I like to talk to people and generally have an open house for coffee and chat (been in the village 2 years this month and have always been rather up front in the introduction stakes, I believe meeting people requires effort, so I'm always happy to step up and say hi).

We're back again to have another go and should be get past TRA stage (with support this time around), I've been weighing up the pros and cons of a reccie.

TBH, I can't see how it could give us a particularly accurate view of life in Australia for many of the reasons that others have stated. I would really like to go, so that I've atleast set foot SOMEWHERE in Australia - but that's the point, it's the somewhere. Australia's a tad on the large side and we'd have to narrow it down a bit and short of spending all our time jobhunting for jobs that we wouldn't be able to get anyway (without a visa) and that would of course be gone before we could get a visa or looking at houses (again rather difficult to judge without a paypacket), I'm a bit of a loss as to how it would benefit unless we had made regular visits over, got to know people over there (etc.)

Top of the list of priorities is

1. dh find a job (really must look into the logistics of him going over by himself and trying to sort this out BEFORE the rest of us go over)

2. Finding somewhere ok to live (we're not hugely fussy, as long as people are friendly and the car isn't too likely to get firebombed then we should be ok)

3. Reasonable school for the eldest two (as I'm assuming they want to continue with school rather than be home-edded again)

4. T'would be nice to be somewhere with some sort of HE community that isn't rampantly religious, not that I have anything against any religions, but that I wouldn't have much in common with the *stereotype* right-wing Christian homeschoolers (and I do know a few and they're ok, but I'd prefer a bit of variety thrown in), as we're hoping for the youngest two to be home-edded atleast initially and we're not particularly structured in approach. If not then it will need to be school and the school system sounds fine as school systems go - so not really a huge amount of worries there either.

I think frank and honest accounts of how people are managing (or not) are invaluable in helping people to research and try (as best they can) to be prepared - and even the most seasoned travellers can have a shock to the system when they come to live in a country that one holiday summer's evening with a glass of wine they fancied moving to.

I think whether one settles or not relies on two main factors, individual personality and money (because the ability to support oneself and family are rather important).

Some people prefer to careful approach and are able to make lots of visits, plan carefully, build up to it - and that's great.

Some people are thrill seekers who dive in head first - and that can be great to.

At the end of the day, we're all (on the whole) adults and need to make our own decisions (and mistakes).

Having been on this forum a few years ago and now returning to it, I can still say that this is one of the best forums I've had the pleasure of being a member of (and that includes a bit of a giggle at the horror of being barefoot in a supermarket - look on the brightside, we've got people in this famly who turn up to English funerals in jeans and white stillettos, barefoot would likely be an improvement )
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:38 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Stop stalking me and asking to see me in sussies.

There, everyone will think you're a loony now
a think its a bit late fir that they already know lol
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:32 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
give examples of culture that differs from the uk in such a way that i will be shocked
You'll have to learn to call "football" soccer - how's that for shocking?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'll concur with a lot of that. I do think that the British media has a terrible fascination with finding British people caught up in natural disasters/plane crashes/student gun rampages/etc too though...

S
Its called the tabloid press.

Have to admit, I also can't understand why so many people 'bite' at the old 'Australia this' 'Australia that' and the self-loving in sports and the arts. If it wasn't for tabloid TV sports, tabloid TV adverts and tablod TV segments I would assume that Australia does not have an issue.

Turn the TV off, buy a quality newspaper and you will be immune to it all.

UK TV is better, in Australia, apart from ABC and SBS its all tabloid TV.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'd always said that one day I would live here. I was about 11 when I decided
Me too...
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:07 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me laugh when someone slags of the UK saying they can't wait to get to oz as such and such happens and it's going to the dogs etc, etc.

Yet they've never been here so have no idea if the situation is the same here or even worse. They just presume it must be better because "the UK is a shithole and nowhere could be as bad as this"
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

koala12 will become famous soon enoughkoala12 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stardust
Hi everyone just been reading the post from the user who isn't happy living in Perth
I too have posted of not enjoying my experience of emigrating to Sydney and just feel annoyed at the usual response "take it to the Moving back to Uk forum"

It is like a lot of you people can't take to hear anything negative or anyone who is not living in a mansion with pool, swimming in sea everyday, sunbathing and enjoying BBQ's every night with their regions of Australian friends. You know a bit of realism about the move might do you good.
I personally feel that before you emmigrate is the best time to read of other people's DIFFERENT experiences.

I am not talking about negativity but I for one would have like to have known how hard it is for a qualified nurse and teacher to actually get work over here or how bad traffic is in most of the cities (yes I know they are cities and you should expect some traffic but 1 hour jams are the norm even an hours drive out of the city)

There are good and bad things about Oz the beaches are beautiful, but it is too expensive for most to live close to them, the people we have meet have all been really friendy but it is hard to make new friends, like it would be anywhere!

Anyway sorry everyone rant over (having a bad day today) just think there should be a bit of a balance of this site and everyones opinion is valid
I've been in Sydney almost 8 months now and there have been ups and downs as there would be moving anywhere new. I think if you come here with an open mind and understand that it's not going to be the answer to all the problems you had in UK then you should be right! Also I think if you've emigrated and gone through huge emotional and financial sacrifice to get here then you should give it a go and see if you can settle without whinging the minute something goes wrong or you can't find your favourite food in Coles! For me the hardest thing is feeling lonely and wondering where to make friends, etc so if there's any Sydneysiders out there.......!!!!???

Last edited by koala12; Apr 20th 2007 at 2:18 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koala12
I've been in Sydney almost 8 months now and there have been ups and downs as there would be moving anywhere new. I think if you come here with an open mind and understand that it's not going to be the answer to all the problems you had in UK then you should be right! Also I think if you've emigrated and gone through huge emotional and financial sacrifice to get here then you should give it a go and see if you can settle without whinging the minute something goes wrong or you can't find your favourite food in Coles! For me the hardest thing is feeling lonely and wondering where to make friends, etc so if there's any Sydneysiders out there.......!!!!???
Hi Koala,

There are loads of us! we meet every Thursday night, in random bars around the city, trying out a new one each week. Check out this thread in the meet ups forum.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...401034&page=50

You're more than welcome to come along and join in. Normally it's drinking and eating, but there are some more adventurous things in the pipeline.

Look at that! Ready made friends!

S
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:34 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
Isn't it the nature of a discussion like this, to generalise? Not knowing every single detail of each and every person here or elsewhere...

I was basically judging myself, I thought You seem to be judging me though?
It does seem to be the nature to generalise, but is that right? I don't judge you....I don't know you. I can only go on what you post which seemed to me to be a sweeping subjective generalisation:

"Fairly obvious- it amazes me that anyone would make such a big change without personally knowing what it's like. I couldn't do it."

It sounds pretty much like you're judging others by your own criteria
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:41 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You'll have to learn to call "football" soccer - how's that for shocking?
And you have to call "rugby" football. Even more shocking.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
It does seem to be the nature to generalise, but is that right? I don't judge you....I don't know you. I can only go on what you post which seemed to me to be a sweeping subjective generalisation:

"Fairly obvious- it amazes me that anyone would make such a big change without personally knowing what it's like. I couldn't do it."

It sounds pretty much like you're judging others by your own criteria
...and you are judging me by what you think I am saying- we could go on and on.
Everyone has a right to say what they want, it's called a discussion- generalizations will occur. There's always easy pickings, on forums, for pedants and those sitting up on the morale high ground, if thats what gives enjoyment.
Get over it.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:13 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
...and you are judging me by what you think I am saying- we could go on and on.
Everyone has a right to say what they want, it's called a discussion- generalizations will occur. There's always easy pickings, on forums, for pedants and those sitting up on the morale high ground, if thats what gives enjoyment.
Get over it.
I was judging your post....literally.

If you want freedom of speech, be prepared for freedom of criticism....no personal insult intended, just criticising your post.

No need to get defensive.....unless you believe my crit is a personal insult?

I wrote this earlier on the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=73

It sums up where I'm coming from...if you believe that to be pedantry, then fair enough
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I was judging your post....literally.

If you want freedom of speech, be prepared for freedom of criticism....no personal insult intended, just criticising your post.

No need to get defensive.....unless you believe my crit is a personal insult?

I wrote this earlier on the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=73

It sums up where I'm coming from...if you believe that to be pedantry, then fair enough
So who gave you the right to criticise or judge my post or anything I say? Quite different from disagreeing I'd say.

(Looking at that link)You seem to have a problem with anyone generalizing anything or trying to offer advice (even if it has been requested).
Should this forum shut down then and people only ever find anything out first-hand?

I am running out of energy for this now- it's the first time I have been involved in any real discussion here on BE. I'll just read threads with useful information (although not this thread) and not write from now on I think.
Lesson learned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.