Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't Aussie birds learn to sing.......

Wikiposts

Why can't Aussie birds learn to sing.......

Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't Aussie birds learn to sing.......

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Kookaburras have a great call. The only ones I hate are the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. They look fab but jeezus, that screetching is horrible.
Spot on. They're the only bird call that bugs me.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
The Butcher birds' song is beautiful......on par with a blackbird
If you're referring to Pied Butcherbirds, then better I'd say. I remember hearing them in Shothole Canyon in WA where their song resounded through the canyon. Amazing sound.

Up here in Cairns there's lots of great songsters:

Willie Wagtails have a sweet refrain and often sing at night.

Lots of the Honeyeaters have nice songs: Brown Honeyeaters make a variety of rich warbling sounds. My fave however is Varied Honeyeaters which you can hear on the 'Nade. Very loud and rich; always reminds me I'm back in Cairns when I've been away. Too bad no-one else in Aus can hear them.

Yellow Orioles have a deep fluty call that to me conjures up the essence of the tropics. Figbirds have a more nasal fluting sound which is almost as good.

We have our own Butcherbirds: the Black Butcherbird which has a harsh contact call, but also a beautiful song which almost rivals the Pied Butcherbirds. And yes I love the Kookaburras too!

Other faves include Yellow-breasted Boatbill, White-eared Monarch, Chowchilla and Helmeted Friarbirds.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:10 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the magpies call, not to keen on the ravens. We have the carnabys cockatoos - I love their call, the babies make a bit of a racket but thats fab as I know there are youngsters in the flock. The red tails have a nice call as well.

Just the sound of the birds is lovely - when I go camping, the kookaburra is the best for me, nothing like sitting in your tent at night and they all start at once. Although it does set the dogs off barking.

I was talking to a vet in Alice Springs and she said to me she knew of a pommie couple that actually moved back to the UK due to the noisy birds, although I cannot believe anyone would move back for that and just assumed she was having me on.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:12 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.............

(I thought the posts were light hearted banter rather than "moronic whinging". )
I guess it's all in the interpretation.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:46 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

swallows are a good songbird that people sometimes overlook and the willie wagtail doesn't do to bad either.

sometimes in the very early hours (mostly at weekends) you can hear the wailing of the feral bogan bird too.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

When do you all get to watch these birds actually singing?

The parrots I have identified, but not the others so far.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was a thread about Australian X Factor.

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not.

(I've been in the UK for a month.. I thought I'd missed the 'dawn' chorus until it woke me up again this morning )
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Most bird species sound the same when they are in the mouth of the neighbours cat. He spends most of his time like a statue up on the rooves waiting for the next unsuspecting twitter.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

For anyone interested in (feathered) Australian birds but not good at identifying them, this is a great tool.

http://birdsinbackyards.net/finder/
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog
For anyone interested in (feathered) Australian birds but not good at identifying them, this is a great tool.

http://birdsinbackyards.net/finder/

I wonder if there is an phone app that will identify them by sound or photo. That would be handy.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Ibises would learn to sing....then, maybe, they would occupy themselves doing that rather than eating my fcucking avocados before we get up in time to collect them:curse:
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I wish Ibises would learn to sing....then, maybe, they would occupy themselves doing that rather than eating my fcucking avocados before we get up in time to collect them:curse:
I wish they'd all disappear. I loathe those feral things.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
swallows are a good songbird that people sometimes overlook and the willie wagtail doesn't do to bad either.

sometimes in the very early hours (mostly at weekends) you can hear the wailing of the feral bogan bird too.
One swallow doesn't make a Summer.

It can make a damn fine night though.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I wish they'd all disappear. I loathe those feral things.
They are known round here as 'tip turkeys':curse:
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:57 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
One swallow doesn't make a Summer.

It can make a damn fine night though.
Surely two swallows would be better?

They mate for life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.