Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why by a 4X4 if you don't actualy need one

Why by a 4X4 if you don't actualy need one

Old May 15th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why by a 4X4 if you don't actualy need one

Originally Posted by 4lex
I'd love to see a 500% increase in the cost of fuel. Don't think I'll have to wait long either
Just go back to the UK. Once Gormless Gorden gets his way fuel will be £2.00 a liter which is 500% what it is in Aus.

Mike.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see a 500% increase in the cost of fuel. Don't think I'll have to wait long either
Why would anyone in their right mind want to see a 500% increase in the price of fuel ? Do you think you will have a hugh pay rise to match the obvious rise in the cost of living
Old May 15th 2007, 2:14 pm
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough

I was wondering why anyone would want that too...
Old May 15th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenTea
people tend to drive what they like rather than what they need, I am just as bad, however its about time we all took responsability for our actions including me to try and protect the environment and other road users.
One of the reasons I like Aus is so I don't have to justify my every move.
Also if we only ever purchased what we needed then a big recession would ensue.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GreenTea

I have acouple of questions to pose!

why do people require 4X4's in the city if they do not drive off road?

why do they beleive that the environmental impact of this vehicle as daily transport is acceptable, hen clearley thay speaw tons of CO2 in the atmosphere each year?

why do they think is ok to drive a car that sits higher than the safety zones on all other cars? thus when they collide the 4X4 is ok but the passengers in the normal car are all dead?

these cars tend to be higher and heavier and wil cause a child to die if run over?

Don't get me wrong these vehicles have their time and place, however this place is as a working vehicle, and normaly is not required for most people to get to the local shops, work or school. Unless you live in the bush and you live at the end of a dirt road!
People like you have made us look to move because of your biased not factul opinions

Did you know even the Mini 1 has I higher CO2 output that an Freelander.....
Old May 15th 2007, 2:46 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Why would anyone in their right mind want to see a 500% increase in the price of fuel ? Do you think you will have a hugh pay rise to match the obvious rise in the cost of living
A 500% increase in the price of fuel does not by definition mean that one's cost of living has to increase proportionally. Mine certainly wouldn't.

If the government would allow me to buy property here I don't think I'd even need utilities other than sewage to be connected. We get a lot of sunlight and I commute on a pushbike.

The increase in the cost of living is what you make it. I admittedly own a car, but the last time I went to use it I had to jump start it as it'd been sitting for so long. It's not an old car - an 01 vectra - which i chose because it's frugal on the highway and that's all i do with it.

There's two outcomes I'd like to see from a massive increase in fuel taxation - firstly to stem the profligate manner in which we use energy, and secondly to provide considerably more funds to further the research and infrastructure for properly sustainable energy systems like solar and wind.

There's no reason we can't enjoy the kind of transport and other living conveniences we do today under a sustainable energy model - it just requires that we take the cash from coal and oil companies and give it to solar and wind outfits.

I find it hard to credit that anyone with kids would think differently. I don't incidentally - we may in the future, but it doesn't look like the world will be a great place in 80yrs time.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:56 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

A 500% increase in the price of fuel does not by definition mean that one's cost of living has to increase proportionally. Mine certainly wouldn't.

If the government would allow me to buy property here I don't think I'd even need utilities other than sewage to be connected. We get a lot of sunlight and I commute on a pushbike.

The increase in the cost of living is what you make it. I admittedly own a car, but the last time I went to use it I had to jump start it as it'd been sitting for so long. It's not an old car - an 01 vectra - which i chose because it's frugal on the highway and that's all i do with it.

There's two outcomes I'd like to see from a massive increase in fuel taxation - firstly to stem the profligate manner in which we use energy, and secondly to provide considerably more funds to further the research and infrastructure for properly sustainable energy systems like solar and wind.

There's no reason we can't enjoy the kind of transport and other living conveniences we do today under a sustainable energy model - it just requires that we take the cash from coal and oil companies and give it to solar and wind outfits.

I find it hard to credit that anyone with kids would think differently. I don't incidentally - we may in the future, but it doesn't look like the world will be a great place in 80yrs time.
If fuel goes up 500% so does yr milk , bread , loo roll, ky , etc as it all comes by road , rail , plane etc .
You could maybe get a discount direct from the original supplier if you go pick up all you need to live on yr pushbike from them
Old May 15th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Should we dispute every van, hgv, bus , plane as that can effect the atmosphere.

Oh god of course not because that would mean no one can go on holiday or no one can get on a bus if they have no transport, and it means that no work for the hgv companys

I think that if someone wants one what business is it of anyone as long as they pay the taxes.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:58 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah of course it wouldn't effect anything like food prices or other goods as they magically fly into the supermarket! Unless you're like Falicity Kendal from The Good Life.
Ps. I Drive a Hummer.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:03 pm
stay safe

beth is an unknown quantity at this point

you better back to your horse and cart then if you believe all the sh1te they feed you!!!!!
Old May 15th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beth
you better back to your horse and cart then if you believe all the sh1te they feed you!!!!!
Tee hee
Old May 15th 2007, 3:07 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perthforme
If fuel goes up 500% so does yr milk , bread , loo roll, ky , etc as it all comes by road , rail , plane etc .
You could maybe get a discount direct from the original supplier if you go pick up all you need to live on yr pushbike from them

You're incorrectly assuming that the whole cost of these products and/or services is borne by the transportation of the same, or the energy used in their production.

Of course there will be an increase, but it wouldn't be in line with the hypothetical* increase in cost of fossil fuel.

*Well, it won't be hypothetical for long.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

4lex,

You'll fit in well seeing as you live in the dream time.
Old May 15th 2007, 3:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I just love it when these threads pop up!
Old May 15th 2007, 3:14 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

You're incorrectly assuming that the whole cost of these products and/or services is borne by the transportation of the same, or the energy used in their production.

Of course there will be an increase, but it wouldn't be in line with the hypothetical* increase in cost of fossil fuel.

*Well, it won't be hypothetical for long.
Ok you show me the company that won't pass on such an increase ( and add some for luck )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.