Reload this Page >

Whose on Facebook (FB) ;)

Wikiposts

Whose on Facebook (FB) ;)

Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whose on Facebook (FB) ;)

Ive got in touch with loads of cousins that I havent seen in years and years and friends too.. my first ever boyfriend who bought me a necklace from Cornwall (we were 5 ! haha!)..

I am a bit of a cut and shut gal.. if I don't want someone on, or I find that I have added someone and I don't really talk to them then I tend to "dump" them.. have a few friends who have stopped putting on status updates and other stuff as relatives that they have felt obliged to add are causing trouble etc etc... told my friend to block them and then deny all knowledge ! and to just keep telling the said sister that you are emailing FB but they don't know what is wrong! haha!

I had a one cousin who insisted that I added all her kids and her husband (who I didnt like), so I did.. then after a glass or 3 of wine I went thru dully blocking them... ( I am working on the theory that if I remove, then I might end up being a "suggestion"??)...
Em x
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Yep I use it A LOT. It's great for keeping up to date with people without harassing each other all the time!!! A simple status update and a few pics every now and then says it all! Some time back I got paranoid about the amount of info I had out there and photos of the kids etc so I took the time to split everyone on my friends list into two groups. I now have a small group of about 30 people (which consists mostly of family and a few very close friends) who have full access to my profile and all my photos. Everyone else gets the basic minimum and a small handful of photos.
Didn't realise you can restrict access to your account? Just assumed that everyone can see everything about you (not that I've anything to hide of course
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Ive got in touch with loads of cousins that I havent seen in years and years and friends too.. my first ever boyfriend who bought me a necklace from Cornwall (we were 5 ! haha!)..

I am a bit of a cut and shut gal.. if I don't want someone on, or I find that I have added someone and I don't really talk to them then I tend to "dump" them.. have a few friends who have stopped putting on status updates and other stuff as relatives that they have felt obliged to add are causing trouble etc etc... told my friend to block them and then deny all knowledge ! and to just keep telling the said sister that you are emailing FB but they don't know what is wrong! haha!

I had a one cousin who insisted that I added all her kids and her husband (who I didnt like), so I did.. then after a glass or 3 of wine I went thru dully blocking them... ( I am working on the theory that if I remove, then I might end up being a "suggestion"??)...
Em x

Em my kids friends have added me!!!! Very strange having a load of 12-14yr olds leaving messages for me!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:57 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glittababe
Didn't realise you can restrict access to your account? Just assumed that everyone can see everything about you (not that I've anything to hide of course
Yea I started getting paranoid after I had my second child. I realised a lot of the people I had on my list I hadn't spoken to in 10 years and really didn't know all that well. I didn't want to remove them but I didn't want them having access to all my personal photos either.

It takes a bit of hassle to set up but once you've done it, it's easy. They used to have a limited profile setting but when it all changed that went away.

All I did was create two 'lists' (click on your friends tab, the lists are on the left hand side) - I called them 'limited' and 'unlimited' and then I just went through my friends and assigned them to one of the lists. Then you just have to go through all of your photo albums/videos privacy settings and general privacy settings and choose the custom option, then 'only friends' and then in the except field type in 'limited' or 'unlimited'. Once you've done all that all you have to do when you add a new friend is assign them to a list and when you add new photos albums/videos etc make sure you set the privacy on it. I used my husband's account to test it so I know it works.

As far as I know you can't restrict your status updates, which is a pain.
Hope that makes sense to anyone who's interested.

Last edited by FluffieFaerie; Aug 17th 2009 at 7:01 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Yea I started getting paranoid after I had my second child. I realised a lot of the people I had on my list I hadn't spoken to in 10 years and really didn't know all that well. I didn't want to remove them but I didn't want them having access to all my personal photos either.

It takes a bit of hassle to set up but once you've done it, it's easy. They used to have a limited profile setting but when it all changed that went away.

All I did was create two 'lists' (click on your friends tab, the lists are on the left hand side) - I called them 'limited' and 'unlimited' and then I just went through my friends and assigned them to one of the lists. Then you just have to go through all of your photos and privacy settings and choose the custom option, then 'only friends' and then in the except field type in 'limited' or 'unlimited'. Once you've done all that all you have to do when you add a new friend is assign them to a list and when you add new photos albums/videos etc make sure you set the privacy on it. I used my husband's account to test it so I know it works.

Hope that makes sense to anyone who's interested.
omg! easy then????
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:14 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

omg! easy then????
Ha! I did say it was a hassle - took me almost an entire afternoon to set it up but considering how much I used FB I felt it was worth it.

If you're (I'm not saying you in particular, just people in general) happy for everyone you've ever met and everyone they've ever met to have full access to photos of your kids and your life in general then fine but I value my privacy a little bit more than that! There are a lot of people who avoid FB and similar sites for this very reason and there's no need to do that if you know how to use it effectively.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It's nothing to do with FB. It's your browser. Try downloading Firefox instead and try it with that http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html
Thanks loads BS for that!I've just downloaded it (only took 2 mins)and you know what?My computer is running heaps faster?It had become quite slow but wow,not sure whats happened but I can hardly keep up with it!Thankyou again,really really appreciate your help!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:36 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of Facebook.. where's Deancm got to?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

omg! easy then????
So - I guess I'll see if I'm ''filtered'' or ''dumped'' and I'll be having that lunch in Kawana on my own
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kitty4
So - I guess I'll see if I'm ''filtered'' or ''dumped'' and I'll be having that lunch in Kawana on my own
hehe as if!!! Just been on facebook trying to work it all out! far too much faffing about What time on thursday chick???
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Em my kids friends have added me!!!! Very strange having a load of 12-14yr olds leaving messages for me!
lol ! I know.. my neices and nephews have added me.. I have to say that the older ones (17plus) I just "hide".. for starters I can not understand what they are writing (some sort of text speak) and if I can figure it out I don't usually want to know! (or atleast perhaps I shouldnt know!!!)... teenagers haha!

I just hit "hide" and then I don't have to hear "OMG 3am smashed outta head" usually followed by fffssss or dilligaf or sum1 ent ere cba... lmao! (The last one is fine by me!) hehe!

Em x
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emelems
lol ! I know.. my neices and nephews have added me.. I have to say that the older ones (17plus) I just "hide".. for starters I can not understand what they are writing (some sort of text speak) and if I can figure it out I don't usually want to know! (or atleast perhaps I shouldnt know!!!)... teenagers haha!

I just hit "hide" and then I don't have to hear "OMG 3am smashed outta head" usually followed by fffssss or dilligaf or sum1 ent ere cba... lmao! (The last one is fine by me!) hehe!

Em x
that is so funny as I see posts like that too!!!! or the ultimate "I'm sooo bored"
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Ah.. I don't tend to mind the generic ones.. its when i see my little baby neices (haha! now well over 18) writing all this "biatch ma face fuuuuucker" or something young and trendy (?!) and I feel like I am a bit in the way...like I shouldnt be reading it as they wouldnt talk like that to me (being Auntie Em!)..

I do.. however... (serious note) find it a bit off putting when people that I have recently gotten to know and speak to suddenly become "FANS OF" rather odd and bizarre things... like.. oh I don't know.. err.. "sex in the morning".. or "kinky underwear" and its my friend's mate who I sit down and have a barbie with sometimes and we haven't really got past the "hello, how are yous" with... then suddenly their inner souls are being revealed on FB... and I know things that perhaps I ought not to really know.. considering we've only met a couple of times!

Em x

PS am babbling on bit now! lol!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

I use facebook a lot but mainly for socail networking and playing games rather than sharing pics and stuff with family etc. I don't put a lot of personal info on there as it's mainly just online contacts from forums and stuff i have as friends.

I guess if we move to Oz and want to put updates for the family and stuff on then i would need to consider putting restrictions on things and having lists of friends etc.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:59 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
On the plus side I got married so have a different name now so its not that easy to be found!
You can add an alternate name if you do wish to be found (doesn't show on your profile, just allows you to be found if your old name is searched) - you never know what amusing blast from the past might turn up, I've been 'found' by several people under my old name and it's been fun catching up

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Talking of Facebook.. where's Deancm got to?

I love FB it's great for keeping in touch. Have managed to get a lot of mine and my husband's older relatives onto it, they love to see how we are getting on whenever they want to. We are travelling atm and make lots of updates and add pics, people like to see them. Am also am in touch with my cousin's kid & my husband's niece & nephew etc, all much younger than me, plus my sis at uni....our families are big and all over the place, FB is a great communication tool for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.