Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's Irish and posting on BE ?

Wikiposts

Who's Irish and posting on BE ?

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:21 am
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice
Default Re: Who's Irish and posting on BE ?

Originally Posted by Melbourne
Hi There

Didn't want to barge in on any existing threads - so thought I'd start a new one of my very own !!!!

Just curious as to how many of us obsessively checking this website are Irish ?

Of the Augustees there's several - perhaps you'd all like to identify yourselves ?

I'm Melbourne - living in Wicklow - me, oh and dd are headed for Melbourne (guess that was pretty obvious).

Our application was recd. in Oz on 29 August - and we recd. full ack. on 24 Jan - we're going on a skilled, designated area, family sponsored visa - temporary for two years with the option to convert to permanent.

We had our meds in Donnybrook in March - but Doc. didn't think we needed to have blood tests done - however LCU were in touch with our agent (AVS in Clane) last week requesting that these be done. So we toddled back into Donnybrook last Friday and are waiting on the results.

We don't have a C.O. yet.

We have now applied for our pcc's twice - in two different Garda stations - gave up on the first one after six weeks - surely it couldn't take that long ??!!!

Hi there, Have you gone to the District station, thats the one that will have a superintendent.

Only these stations can do your police clearance and it normally takes about 10 days, can be a bit longer if the garda you gave the form to changes their shift.

Let me know if you need any more help with this

Regards

Silverski
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I'm from Dublin, but spent 17 years in the UK before arriving (back) here last June.

Story is: I arrived in Sydney from Dublin in 1989 intending it to be a permanent move - my sister was living here at the time so apparantly I could have converted my working holiday visa to some kind of family sponsored one (many rule changes ago). However, I met OH (British/French) at a party and we spent a happy year together in Sydney but he was illegal so we had to leave at some point. We went to England in 1990 intending to return asap but recession hit Oz etc. etc. so it never happened. Many years (and 3 kids) later OH now working in IT and a guy doing the same job left for Sydney having got PR. We applied for our visa in January last year and had sold up and left the UK by the end of May! LOVE it here - as do the kids - just wish it hadn't taken so long to get back!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

County Down Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Who's Irish and posting on BE ?

HI Melbourne, me, my OH and my kids are hoping to head to Brissy Sept/oct time only just joined this site like yourself to get some helpful hints. My hubby got a job so just about to go through meds etc it can be slow but cant wait to get there and get all that Vitamin D intake hope all goes well for you
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:28 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I'm from Dublin, but spent 17 years in the UK before arriving (back) here last June.

Story is: I arrived in Sydney from Dublin in 1989 intending it to be a permanent move - my sister was living here at the time so apparantly I could have converted my working holiday visa to some kind of family sponsored one (many rule changes ago). However, I met OH (British/French) at a party and we spent a happy year together in Sydney but he was illegal so we had to leave at some point. We went to England in 1990 intending to return asap but recession hit Oz etc. etc. so it never happened. Many years (and 3 kids) later OH now working in IT and a guy doing the same job left for Sydney having got PR. We applied for our visa in January last year and had sold up and left the UK by the end of May! LOVE it here - as do the kids - just wish it hadn't taken so long to get back!

Hi there,

What a great story

Regards

Silverski
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Melbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really niceMelbourne is just really nice

Good to hear from you all

CynOpt have you been to Melbourne before - any idea where you're going to settle ?

Irish Gal and I will be about 45 mins away from each other - so we'll def. have a meet up over there.

Speaking of which - are any of you going "sight unseen" ?

Silverski - the second station I went to is Bray - I'm pretty sure they have a Super. there - but if I haven't heard by the end of this week I'll go back in again (took the name and no. of the Garda I spoke to - more clued in the second time around !!).

Kapri - happy to have you on board.

Rosscarberry - thanks for sharing your story - helps to remove the doubts that plague those of us still here - are we doing the right or the wrong thing !!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:02 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Melbourne,
Yup, we went on hols to a family wedding last year. Before that....had NO intention of emigrating, but were just bowled over by the place.

We've loved places on hols before but never to the extent that we thought "we could live here".

The family are west side, but most of the jobs I could do seem to be east side, although I dont mind a bit of commuting, I'll get to know the city that way.

Kapri: I'll be in the Red Lion at 4 this friday, but so will loads of people from work . It's my last day. Come meet Jas, he's picking me up at 6, you didnt get a chance to talk to him at the last meet!!. Sorry, I should have got in contact sooner!! The shippers are arriving tomorrow morning, and I'm on here!!!!, what AM I doing.!?!?

PANIC
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:39 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Alright folks. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi.
Just waiting for decision on the 175 Visa at the minute. We applied in Oct '07, CO in February, requested more docs and not a dicky bird since.
Sure we all love to wait

I'm from up North, does that count as being Irish guys?

Darren
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough

hey there
me and oh originally from clare been living in dub last 10 years, supposed to be flying out saturday to townsville,qld. Have had an ear infection with last two weeks and the doc is insistent i can't fly unless my ear pops (it's all blocked up) Has anyone ever flown with an ear infection? to say i'd be devasted if we can't go would be an understatement been waiting for this trip with forever!
trice_ie
p.s. on the plus side though i did pass my driving test today,god bles sthe testers in raheny!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:13 am
From Wicklow to Perth

Originally Posted by Melbourne

Silverski - the second station I went to is Bray - I'm pretty sure they have a Super. there - but if I haven't heard by the end of this week I'll go back in again (took the name and no. of the Garda I spoke to - more clued in the second time around !!).
Hey there,

Thats right, the Bray station is one of the district ones. I will PM you with some more contact details.

Good luck

Regards

Silverski
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Can I join too!!!

Mairead from Cork heading to Melbourne in September or whenever i get rid of this bloody house!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by trice_ie
hey there
me and oh originally from clare been living in dub last 10 years, supposed to be flying out saturday to townsville,qld. Have had an ear infection with last two weeks and the doc is insistent i can't fly unless my ear pops (it's all blocked up) Has anyone ever flown with an ear infection? to say i'd be devasted if we can't go would be an understatement been waiting for this trip with forever!
trice_ie
p.s. on the plus side though i did pass my driving test today,god bles sthe testers in raheny!

OH passed his on Saturday also although his like a dog now as we have just found our that in Melbourne you must have held you overseas driving license for three years otherwise you will be put on P plates!!!! To say his not a happy camper is an understatement!!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hey all

We are from Dublin now in Cavan where it never stops raining:curse: Now i know why there are so many bloody lakes in Cavan.

Anyway we hope to go to the gold coast early next year. At the moment we are just waiting to get a CO.

When are we having a piss up eh i mean meet up

Anyway good luck all

Paddy
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mairead
OH passed his on Saturday also although his like a dog now as we have just found our that in Melbourne you must have held you overseas driving license for three years otherwise you will be put on P plates!!!! To say his not a happy camper is an understatement!!!
No way! jeez thats sht. I never looked that far into the queensland regs must go on their site noe and check,really hope it's not the same
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

Location: Originally we are from Belfast but currently living in Geelong
sjgm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
I'm from Galway - been on the Gold Coast just over two years and love this place. Michelle x
Hi! I live in Geelong which is about an hour from Melbourne! there are very little irish down here - we need more!!!