Whooping cough

Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whooping cough

I had whooping cough and measles as a single vaccines as a kid and have no intention of having any more and yes it is for my own reasons and I am not thinking about anyone else.

I react badly to some vaccinations and whilst I feel sorry for anyone that gets whooping cough, no way on Gods earth am I going to be re-vaccinated against it and that is for my good and I wont do it for the good of anyone else.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
This is a very interesting read:

http://www.whale.to/a/blaylock.html
I'm sorry but I cannot accept articles published on this website, http://www.wnho.net/ (the source of your quoted article)
as having any scientific veracity.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:16 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lesleys
I'm sorry but I cannot accept articles published on this website, http://www.wnho.net/ (the source of your quoted article)
as having any scientific veracity.
I didn't say it did. I just said it was an interesting read as something I came across whilst I was reading something else. His article seems well sourced. I guess if you were bothered you could read the research he's quoted at the bottom too.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Sep 6th 2010 at 11:19 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 6:48 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone who had the whooping cough has noticed any after effects?

It's weeks ago now. Intense fatigue, wheezy chest. Is this normal?
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Just wondering if anyone who had the whooping cough has noticed any after effects?

It's weeks ago now. Intense fatigue, wheezy chest. Is this normal?
Yes, it is, I believe. My husband had the fatigue for a while afterwards. As for the wheezing, I'm not super sure on that but I have read that if you get sick again within 6 months after having had pertussis, your cough will have that similar sound (although not be as bad, I imagine) as the cilia in the lungs need time to grow back.

Hang in there. Hope you're feeling better soon...
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:20 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yes, it is, I believe. My husband had the fatigue for a while afterwards. As for the wheezing, I'm not super sure on that but I have read that if you get sick again within 6 months after having had pertussis, your cough will have that similar sound (although not be as bad, I imagine) as the cilia in the lungs need time to grow back.

Hang in there. Hope you're feeling better soon...
thanks mate

Im gobsmacked about the tiredness cos on a weekend Im knackered after a busy week at work and the wheezing, ive never had either of these probs before. Takes a lot to knock me for six, but this buggar has. I can't find anything on the after effects on Google except discussion forums so was wondering if this is normal
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
thanks mate

Im gobsmacked about the tiredness cos on a weekend Im knackered after a busy week at work and the wheezing, ive never had either of these probs before. Takes a lot to knock me for six, but this buggar has. I can't find anything on the after effects on Google except discussion forums so was wondering if this is normal
I had whooping cough as an adult, and it was the worst thing I've ever had. There were a few times when I thought I was about to check out, as I simply could not breathe for what felt like terrifyingly long periods of time. The attacks would pass and I'd then be fine for a few hours, sometimes longer.

The doctors I saw wouldn't believe there was anything wrong with me, as the attacks would never happen in front of them. There were no other symptoms. They only took me seriously after I'd passed it on to my six-month old baby, who ended up in hospital for nine days on an antibiotic drip and being constantly monitored.

It seems to be very difficult to diagnose because the attacks tend to be sporadic. Many people confuse whooping cough and croup, but they are very different things. Whooping cough can stop you breathing completely. You simply cannot get any air in. None at all. Babies turn purple. You have to turn them on their side and slap their backs.

It took a long time to get over, but it did get much easier after about three months. I didn't have any wheezing, but it left me very tired.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Exile
I had whooping cough as an adult, and it was the worst thing I've ever had. There were a few times when I thought I was about to check out, as I simply could not breathe for what felt like terrifyingly long periods of time. The attacks would pass and I'd then be fine for a few hours, sometimes longer.

The doctors I saw wouldn't believe there was anything wrong with me, as the attacks would never happen in front of them. There were no other symptoms. They only took me seriously after I'd passed it on to my six-month old baby, who ended up in hospital for nine days on an antibiotic drip and being constantly monitored.

It seems to be very difficult to diagnose because the attacks tend to be sporadic. Many people confuse whooping cough and croup, but they are very different things. Whooping cough can stop you breathing completely. You simply cannot get any air in. None at all. Babies turn purple. You have to turn them on their side and slap their backs.

It took a long time to get over, but it did get much easier after about three months. I didn't have any wheezing, but it left me very tired.
you poor sod mate, and the lttleun too.Glad you are both ok
Old Sep 19th 2010, 1:08 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

It's 16 years ago this week since my three week old baby was admitted to hospital with it. She made what appears to be a full recovery, although the paediatrician who looked after wondered whether she would suffer long term brain (her oxygen sats were only 30% on admission), heart, lung damage. It's only with time that it looks as though she's ok.

I had it too and still have to use an inhaler if I get a cold (which is always accompanied by a cough now) or if I have to go out in very cold weather. We caught it in the September, but really only started to feel normal again the following Feb/March.