British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Who has done what, in your family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/who-has-done-what-your-family-724755/)

In Exile Jul 13th 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Who has done what, in your family?

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9494404)
No, that is incorrect.

no, that is incorrect :D

spartacus Jul 13th 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9494407)
no, that is incorrect :D

Now I know just how her grandad felt . . . nobody believes me. :(

. . . but with none of the global repercussions.

Broad Shoulders Jul 13th 2011 4:28 pm

- My Grandad was a Spitfire pilot during WWII. He got shot down over Brittany in 42 and was sent to Stalag Luft III, where he helped dig the tunnels used in 'The Great Escape'
- My Dad worked in recording studios during the late 60s and 70s, so worked with a lot of big acts
- My Aunt is a film director and has won an Oscar as well as multiple Cannes Film Festival Awards among other awards.

scottishcelts Jul 13th 2011 5:51 pm

Ok, my dad was in The Argyll's and was handpicked by 'Mad Mitch' in 1967 to 'join a force' to enter the Crater at Aden. He was 17, the youngest.

He has never spoke about it to me or any family members, but has mentioned some bits to my hubby, it is only now, 4 years after my dad's death that I have started asking questions.

JAMFC Jul 13th 2011 6:07 pm

My Mum used to work at the Moulin Rouge in Paris, doing the 'can-can'.

My Dad was a restaurant manger in a posh restaurant in Brighton and has photos with lots of celebrities and politicians.

My daughter was recently in a video with Kate Miller Heidke's new band - Fatty Gets A Stylist.

Me? Nothing!

brissybee Jul 13th 2011 6:50 pm

We've a shedload of arty types amongst our lot. Photographers, muso's, writers, actors, artists, presenters and models included. None particularly famous, but some well known in their professional circles.

Bix Jul 13th 2011 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 9494588)
We've a shedload of arty types amongst our lot.

I can understand why you came to Australia. :D

brissybee Jul 13th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 9494593)
I can understand why you came to Australia. :D

:p

Yes, the cultural opportunities really are abundant here.

But, I am diggin' my tunnel. :sneaky:

TiddlyPom Jul 13th 2011 7:16 pm

My grandfather was the first person to use RADAR. :)

My father's father was illegitimate and never knew his father. We think we've found his family and it turns out that I have relatives in Musswellbrook in NSW, so it means I'm not the first of my family to come to Australia at all. My Grandfather's half sister's family is here. It's nothing famous but it means a lot.

And me... My photographs are being published again in a great book, which is very nice. :)

moneypenny20 Jul 13th 2011 7:34 pm

Diddly squat really. :lol: My uncle spent the war in Changi Prison and survived. That's fairly bloody awesome in my book.

TiddlyPom Jul 13th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9494665)
Diddly squat really. :lol: My uncle spent the war in Changi Prison and survived. That's fairly bloody awesome in my book.

Yeah, that's pretty amazing MP. Not many people survive that.

My grandfather got yellow fever in Burma and was put on a train with a load of dead... they thought he was dead and it was only a doctor who was moving the dead bodies out who discovered that my grandfather was still breathing.. just. One tough cookie!

Dreamy Jul 13th 2011 8:18 pm

My brother used to be a geneticist and is mentioned here:

Another project that was selected for funding will be headed by Dr. Lee Clough and Dr. Leonidas Stefanis of the Foundation for Biomedical Research of the Academy of Athens in Greece. The investigators will study the regulation, or the turning on, of the gene for alpha-synuclein Ñ a protein that has been implicated as one of the possible causes of Parkinson's disease. Drs. Clough and Stefanis have identified a novel "switch" that makes more synuclein in the presence of factors that are important in the growth and maintenance of nerve cells.

"We know that the amount of 'normal' alpha-synuclein produced in the brain is a risk factor in the development of Parkinson's," said Dr. Clough. "Unfortunately, the regulation and production of synuclein is an under-studied area in PD research. PDF's generous grant will allow us to expand our knowledge in this area and perhaps provide us with an insight of how to control the expression of this gene in Parkinson's patients
No, I don't understand it either - but at least I know where the brains went in the family.

TiddlyPom Jul 13th 2011 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9494724)
My brother used to be a geneticist and is mentioned here:

No, I don't understand it either - but at least I know where the brains went in the family.

I didn't know you were Greek, Dreamy.

:teeth_smile:

newjersey Jul 13th 2011 8:34 pm

I am the first generation in the last 11 who is not in the military. My father is an engineer, for the past 30 odd years designs equipment that either flies in space or is used to build things that fly in space. Me - didly squat, nothing famous, if only surviving an aggressive form of blood cancer counts for something, then yeah.

RedT Jul 14th 2011 1:01 am

My cousin plays for Man United...my granddad made a marble altar for some very significant church in the Vatican and was invited by the Vatican to accompany it to Rome for it to be installed. Not bad for a builder from Kilkenny, Ireland!