Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who babysits? What do you pay?

Who babysits? What do you pay?

Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who babysits? What do you pay?

I will be relocating to Sydney mid Nov and would love after a settling in period to go out with my husband. WHo babysits? How much do you pay/going rate? What have you done to get to know them?

I have never had a babysitter before so have NO idea...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:27 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who babysits? What do you pay?

I have only recently found out about this from a friend who has a child at school (mine are pre-school), that the school has a list of students willing to babysit. As the school is local there are a few within a couple of mins walk from us - not used it yet so not sure on costs or if this is something a lot of schools do.

Occasionally few friends from Mothers group (had 2nd baby here), take in in turns to babysit
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

The going rate here is about 20 dollars per hour.Times that by three and then add taxi, plus drinks,it would be a rare night out.Wait till you get to know another Mum really well and take turns to mind each others.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by irishbloo
The going rate here is about 20 dollars per hour.Times that by three and then add taxi, plus drinks,it would be a rare night out.Wait till you get to know another Mum really well and take turns to mind each others.
OMG....knew it had gone up from my day of doing it but thats a shock.....

Hoping I get to know another mum asap....any offers in Sydney then?!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:12 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
What a rip off we use a professional agency in Melbourne and it costs $60 for the first 4 hours and then $11 per hour.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigAPE
What a rip off we use a professional agency in Melbourne and it costs $60 for the first 4 hours and then $11 per hour.
Any agencies in Sydney? Do they always send the same person if you request?

Might get a job working for them then...My SIL does it in London for extra money and gets 24$ a hours but I thought that was just London rates.....
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

ebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the roughebonski is a jewel in the rough

we must be very lucky then. we went out last friday night ,first time since we arrived in perth.one of the nursery girls at our childrens daycare approached me and offered to babysit. i was delighted as like yourselves ive never done this before and i wouldnt have to worry about police checks , experience, etc.she charges $10 p.h and we have triplets so after reading the amounts you guys are suggesting im going to appreciate her even more.
irish bloo,im orignally from limerick too. where abouts there are you from?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ebonski
we must be very lucky then. we went out last friday night ,first time since we arrived in perth.one of the nursery girls at our childrens daycare approached me and offered to babysit. i was delighted as like yourselves ive never done this before and i wouldnt have to worry about police checks , experience, etc.she charges $10 p.h and we have triplets so after reading the amounts you guys are suggesting im going to appreciate her even more.

WOW!!!!!!for trips too!!!!

I am not Irishbloo but I lived in Waterville til I was 9, back of beyond, brothers born in Tralee!!! Small world..
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:04 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebonski
We have a neighbours teenage daughter charge $8 p/h but prefer to use the agency for longer sittings when we might be out quite late. $10/ph for triplets sounds like a bargain!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:51 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Well Im from the old school and reckon that kids are no precious to us as parents as when we were kids. If you have teenagers on your street or in your area, be the judge and give them a chance to babysit. A responsible 14-16 yr old girl can be trusted probably as much as yesteryear and do it for $10hr.

I like to pay before I go out since I get generous after a few pints and could over-pay
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Well Im from the old school and reckon that kids are no precious to us as parents as when we were kids. If you have teenagers on your street or in your area, be the judge and give them a chance to babysit. A responsible 14-16 yr old girl can be trusted probably as much as yesteryear and do it for $10hr.

I like to pay before I go out since I get generous after a few pints and could over-pay

We pay ours $10 an hour.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:32 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
We pay $20 phr during the day and $15 phr at night here in Melbourne - no agency but qualified occupational theraphy student at la trobe. Has police checks and CPR training.

On top of we pay travel if needed and supply lunch, entrance fees (museums etc) and say $20 for snacks for a day outing.

Friends are paying between $18 to $26 per hour here in inner suburbia.

Not sure about others but our baby sitter does not plonk them in front of tv (and not suggesting thats what others have theirs do) but she reads to them, brings things to do ie arts & crafts.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:33 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath

I agree but sometimes the teenagers are hard to pin down, they can't do week nights because of school and they are out at the weekend. Having an older regular sitter also allows our boys to have a grandmotherly figure around. She is patient, tolerant, experienced with kids and is good at breaking up their squabbles. She even helps me with cleaning up and the dishes and bedtime routine that I haven't been able to sort before going out.

Last edited by bigAPE; Sep 20th 2008 at 8:39 am.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by plantpot
I will be relocating to Sydney mid Nov and would love after a settling in period to go out with my husband. WHo babysits? How much do you pay/going rate? What have you done to get to know them?

I have never had a babysitter before so have NO idea...
Brisbane - city suburbia. We pay our sitter $14 per hour (min 2 hours) to look after all three. She has a bluecard and first aid training.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

We have 4 kids (8, 6, 4 and 2) and pay $10 per hour in Perth. We have a 17-year old who comes every Thursday night for 3 hours so that OH and I can go out. Gives us a chance to talk and have some quiet time together (away from football on the TV and the internet ) - going out for a meal, the cinema or just taking our time doing some late night shopping. She likes it as she knows she's getting pocket money every week and it doesn't interfere with her social life! The kids love her too!

I asked the tenant who was in our house before us and she recommended her.

Galba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.