Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Poms? You decide...

Whinging Poms? You decide...

Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:12 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whinging Poms? You decide...

I've got some popcorn here if someone wants some? Not that horrible salty stuff but the REAL sweet popcorn......mmmmmmm

anyone?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Some observations.
1) You're talking to yourself.
2) I sense a certain tenseness in your replies and suggest you step away from the keyboard for a while and/or seek some sort of sexual congress with your partner.
3) It's a bit dark at the moment for the beach and, as adventurous as I am, I don't fancy running down hills in the pitch black either. What a very strange suggestion.
4) Please answer the question I put to you earlier when I asked what your Australian wife thought about your near-xenophobic hatred of all things Australian.
In the interests of accuracy I insist you remove the word "near" from point 4
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:15 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by camponotus
Well, I've always wondered why this word was exempt from all the normal rules of politeness (the few that there are here). Why is it that the only nation it is totally acceptable to slag-off and use slurs about is the British?

About time they sorted themselves out on this. After all, where the hell do most of the people in this country think they originate from?! Talk about short memories.
Oh I don't know about that. Coming from Northern Ireland I have very vivid memories of the English (never heard it from the Scots or Welsh funnily) being very, very fond of the term Paddy.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Oh I don't know about that. Coming from Northern Ireland I have very vivid memories of the English (never heard it from the Scots or Welsh funnily) being very, very fond of the term Paddy.
I have pointed this out before to Campo but he only wants to hear or make negative posts about Australia.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:29 am
In Perth & Loving it...

Originally Posted by kporte
I have pointed this out before to Campo but he only wants to hear or make negative posts about Australia.
Funny how some people tend to forget about that little fact....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Anyone who seriously thinks that this term is used purely ''affectionately'' is delusional.

You LOVE the blanket statement.

Some may use it, callously some may not.
Like every single other country in the world then?
As I have said so many times and am now boring myself by repeating, I was called all the usual names a Scot gets called by an Englishman, Sweaty, Jock, the jokes about how copper wire was invented etc etc ad infinitum.
However I am intelligent and perceptive enough to realise that in almost all situations this is banter. Whether you find this funny or not is another matter.
I did find on one or two occasions that some genuine xenophobia may be attached but there are idiots everywhere so I let it slide. I have actually had not one instance of this here, but would not suggest that it won't or doesn't happen.
I realise you dislike Australians. I realise that you prefer the UK. Great.
Not everyone agrees. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

Seriously, do you go on like this to your Australian wife?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH

Thats true but its not used in the media. Still, I assume you have a strong accent and so would love to know what kind of reaction thats met with in Oz. A lot of Aussies use the term 'pom' liberally and cant often be sure of what it actually means.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Seriously, do you go on like this to your Australian wife?
Great advert for a whinging pom isn't he

I am called "pom" all the time and yes, its in an affectionate manner. It when I get called a ****ing pom I'm liable to feel a bit cheesed off
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
maybe you should have a word to Prince Harry for using the word "pakki" before you single out Australians
And my FIL who kept telling us, during his visit, that Australia is full of chinks
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I must also add that the world tends to lump the English in all together but for a very small country there are so many dialects. To an Aussie I may well be a 'pom' but to a northerner, I am a southern fairy and because Im from London, some people think that I must be stuck up and a snob whereas at home Im 'common' as muck. Im so confused.

Still, two wrongs dont make a right apparently. So if one group has a derogatory term as a nickname doesnt mean that the favour should be returned!!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who seriously thinks that this term is used purely ''affectionately'' is delusional.
Anyone who thinks it never can be is probably very bitter or needs to widen network of said 'mates'.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame that you can't state a reasonable, considered opinion on this website without being closed down and belittled by all the apologists on here who think you're an idiot if you've got something (anything) less than 100% glowing to say about Australia.
Not true at all - as has been pointed out many, many, times by said apologists. People are amused by your mass generalisations which all too often is the front piece for a somewhat bitter stance. If you were pro-Australian you would come across as the same.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame you have to resort to be threatening and insulting. Yet you still think you're better. And I'm the one with the problem? Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself exactly which moral high-ground you think you occupy.
You went six replies on the trot without a single interjection from another poster. If I hadn't intervened when I had, I fear that that throbbing vein on your forehead would have exploded in some apoplectic rage against the damnable Australians and their damnable country.

Does your Australian wife ever post on this forum? I'd love to hear her side of things.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
You went six replies on the trot without a single interjection from another poster. If I hadn't intervened when I had, I fear that that throbbing vein on your forehead would have exploded in some apoplectic rage against the damnable Australians and their damnable country.

Does your Australian wife ever post on this forum? I'd love to hear her side of things.
Basil Fawlty on bolivian marching powder.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

bev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nicebev2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
maybe you should have a word to Prince Harry for using the word "pakki" before you single out Australians
yes and he's been called a racist for it. Because its a racist name

My daughter was called a pom at her primary school and was really offended by it.

Just because some people are not offended by it doesn't make it right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.