Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Poms? You decide...

Whinging Poms? You decide...

Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:55 am
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whinging Poms? You decide...

Hello. Was wondering how long it would be before someone such as your good self stepped in to begin the predictable defense of the Aussies.

This thread, as you well know, is essentially about the use of nicknames/slurs. Generalisations, as you also well know, are inevitable, and this entire site is littered with them. I therefore make no apology for making a generalisation.

However, there are generalisations and then there are generalisations. It is my belief that it is acceptable to generalise in quite a crude and at times ridiculous way in this country about other nations. Hence things like ''poms don't wash''. Saying that they aren't always that interested in thinking hard before speaking isn't in that category. They are way more relaxed about what they say; indeed, they characterise the Brits (or should I say poms) as being too uptight and reserved and 'beating round the bush'. They think ''coming straight out with it'' is a virtue, which, in some contexts, it can be.

Just not when you're using racially/ethnically inspired nicknames and slurs left right and centre.

But naturally you're about to tell me I'm completely wrong to state this because, as has been said time and time again, the Aussies are beyond reproach in all respects. So apologies in advance for being totally wrong.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:56 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Just read this in today's West Australian.

Holy crap. Look like that PC brigade have arrived safe and well on these shores then.....

Oops. Meant to post this in The Barbie. Maybe a kind mod could be so kind as to move it in there for me?
Sounds like whinging poms whinging about being called whinging Poms.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
maybe you should have a word to Prince Harry for using the word "pakki" before you single out Australians
Don't be daft.

I know full well that Brits (some of them) are guilty of this. You seriously think I was suggesting that Brits don't do this?! Have a word with yourself!

The very fact that there was such an outcry when Harry said this demonstrates that it is NOT CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE in the UK. The media in the UK are just not allowed to use this kind of language, which is why anyone who does is fired immediately (Ron Atkinson etc).

The media over in Australia is NOT subject to the same restrictions.

Please tell me that you can recognise the difference here. Surely.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
Sounds like whinging poms whinging about being called whinging Poms.
Essentially, yes. Well spotted.

Now, back to the whinging.....
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimmyd4006
maybe you should have a word to Prince Harry for using the word "pakki" before you single out Australians
At least in the UK you can ''single out'' some people. I'm not sure I would be able to ''single out'' any Australians.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Talking about generalisation......................
It's a real shame that you can't state a reasonable, considered opinion on this website without being closed down and belittled by all the apologists on here who think you're an idiot if you've got something (anything) less than 100% glowing to say about Australia.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yet more confirmation for the Aussies that Brits really are a bunch of whinging poms Never actually heard anyone say it (maybe they wait until I've left the room)
Oh my word, they can do no wrong for you, can they?

I've been called a pom dozens of times and heard the term used on radio/tv on a number of occasions too.

Do you have a filter built in that allows you to not notice anything bad about this place?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Perhaps if you completely become an Aussie in all but birth they will accept you as one of theirs and therefore not use the ''pom'' term. Perhaps if you show signs of Englishness (accent, perspective, temperment etc) then you're a pom through and through.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
It's a real shame that you can't state a reasonable, considered opinion on this website without being closed down and belittled by all the apologists on here who think you're an idiot if you've got something (anything) less than 100% glowing to say about Australia.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Wow, you're so funny, Hutch. Really. Just not quite as funny as you obviously think you are.

Sydney? Melbourne, mate. That ticket's no good to me.

Now go and fiddle around in Photoshop or whatever and come back with something else.

Which you so obviously will. You just can't resist, can you.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:30 am
Account Closed

As someone cleverly said on another thread, it's amazing that people who claim to be so overwhelmingly happy here want to waste to much time being smart with people who aren't so happy. Haven't you got beaches to run down (or in your case, rolling green hills with moo cows) and a generally wonderful outdoor life to be getting on with?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

As someone cleverly said on another thread, it's amazing that people who claim to be so overwhelmingly happy here want to waste to much time being smart with people who aren't so happy. Haven't you got beaches to run down (or in your case, rolling green hills with moo cows) and a generally wonderful outdoor life to be getting on with?
Some observations.
1) You're talking to yourself.
2) I sense a certain tenseness in your replies and suggest you step away from the keyboard for a while and/or seek some sort of sexual congress with your partner.
3) It's a bit dark at the moment for the beach and, as adventurous as I am, I don't fancy running down hills in the pitch black either. What a very strange suggestion.
4) Please answer the question I put to you earlier when I asked what your Australian wife thought about your near-xenophobic hatred of all things Australian.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Some observations.
1) You're talking to yourself.
2) I sense a certain tenseness in your replies and suggest you step away from the keyboard for a while and/or seek some sort of sexual congress with your partner.
3) It's a bit dark at the moment for the beach and, as adventurous as I am, I don't fancy running down hills in the pitch black either. What a very strange suggestion.
4) Please answer the question I put to you earlier when I asked what your Australian wife thought about your near-xenophobic hatred of all things Australian.
The first 3 are you just trying to be smart (again), and the fourth is you trying to be patronising, condescending, over-familiar and borderline inappropriate. You've moved up a gear.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:40 am
Australia's Doorman

The first 3 are you just trying to be smart (again), and the fourth is you trying to be patronising, condescending, over-familiar and borderline inappropriate. You've moved up a gear.
Actually, I haven't even started yet. But you're simply not worth it. You're just not in the same league as the Mike Planktons of this world ...

Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Actually, I haven't even started yet. But you're simply not worth it. You're just not in the same league as the Mike Planktons of this world ...

What a shame you have to resort to be threatening and insulting. Yet you still think you're better. And I'm the one with the problem? Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself exactly which moral high-ground you think you occupy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.