Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

corgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to all
Default Re: Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Julie, i remember seeing you on this thread ages ago...I'd assumed that you were one of those that had sold and moved over to Oz. Sorry to hear you've been having problems selling your property too.
I can fully understand how you feel. I used to love our home, but from last year onwards it became to feel like a chain around our necks!

I hope you have better luck this year.
Cathy
Hi Cathy

You still hear as well. I thought Uk would have had enough of us?
No wasn't meant to be. I guess I justed wanted that bit more for the house and was too stubbon. People offered so so low and I needed more for our house I think its worth it. But this year I am sure we will sell .Seen a few houses sold that was for sale around the same time as mine. So looks like the house market is picking up a bit.

Its mad to let a house do this to you. But then again I guess life would be so boring if we didn't have stress like this.

I'v put the upset behind me now. Life is far to short and got to think positive now.

Take care
Julie
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

corgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fly Away
You will get there - I waited 30 years- I came back to the UK with my parents as a 13 year old and vowed to make it back here and eventually I did!

You must stay positive and in the end an opportunity will arise - maybe not what you are expecting. Grab it with both hands.

Hope you keep posting and good luck
Your right again

yes will stay positive And a hugh good luck to you.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacm
Hi
We too have been trying to sell for just over a year now!! Haven't been on much as I found it too depressing...
Have reduced probably as much as we can but now the exchange rate is the bigger concern! The earlier post is right in so much as the market is picking up slowly - we are now getting some viewings.
Have to just keep telling ourselves that Australia is not going to go anywhere and it will be worth waiting for..........

Hi jacm
Yes thats right we must be positive. I was the same but life is too short and it helps to go on this site to speak to people in the same boat as you. I got so so down I can't belive a house can do that to you. And when you see people who also have been trying to sell for a long time I think that helps as you don't feel so alone. Good luck with your viiewings.

Take care
Julie
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by corgi
Hi Cathy

You still hear as well. I thought Uk would have had enough of us?
No wasn't meant to be. I guess I justed wanted that bit more for the house and was too stubbon. People offered so so low and I needed more for our house I think its worth it. But this year I am sure we will sell .Seen a few houses sold that was for sale around the same time as mine. So looks like the house market is picking up a bit.

Its mad to let a house do this to you. But then again I guess life would be so boring if we didn't have stress like this.

I'v put the upset behind me now. Life is far to short and got to think positive now.

Take care
Julie

Hi Julie, same here, we could have sold a couple of times during the last 2 years but like you we were offered so much under our asking price we couldn't afford to accept the offers. We came very close last year to accepting a very low offer, when people all around us were saying things were going to get worse instead of better, but we had a gut-feeling that it would be wrong to do so - and now in hindsight i am glad we didn't because waiting just 8 months has put quite a bit more money in our pocket as prices in our area have risen again. Not sure if they'll reach the highs of 2007 again for a very long time, we just cant wait any longer. Still pains us that we could have made so much more money if we'd sold in 2007, when my OH wanted to sell as soon as we got our visa's that year, but i wanted to do a reccie 1st - and we postponed selling till after then - just as the credit crunch hit. We have put the house up for sale, and then taken it off again quite a few times now over the last 2 years or so and unfortunately because of that we got hit with having to pay for two HIP reports (word of warning to other sellers - don't stop marketing after paying out for one unless you definitely want to stop trying to sell!!!).
We've become more philosophical though - i dont think it was our time to go. I kind of think things happen for a reason, and i think we were meant to be here the last couple of years (death of close family member & other family illnesses), so in a way, i'm glad we were here still...
However, we are soooo glad to be finally making the move this year, just wish our solicitor would get their fingers out and get on with this exchanging of contracts - which we wanted either this week or next week!

I'm sure hopefully everyone on this thread will have a better chance of selling this year, i'm sure that demand will outweigh supply of houses for sale...and other people will need to buy everyone's houses!

Cathy
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Julie, same here, we could have sold a couple of times during the last 2 years but like you we were offered so much under our asking price we couldn't afford to accept the offers. We came very close last year to accepting a very low offer, when people all around us were saying things were going to get worse instead of better, but we had a gut-feeling that it would be wrong to do so - and now in hindsight i am glad we didn't because waiting just 8 months has put quite a bit more money in our pocket as prices in our area have risen again. Not sure if they'll reach the highs of 2007 again for a very long time, we just cant wait any longer. Still pains us that we could have made so much more money if we'd sold in 2007, when my OH wanted to sell as soon as we got our visa's that year, but i wanted to do a reccie 1st - and we postponed selling till after then - just as the credit crunch hit. We have put the house up for sale, and then taken it off again quite a few times now over the last 2 years or so and unfortunately because of that we got hit with having to pay for two HIP reports (word of warning to other sellers - don't stop marketing after paying out for one unless you definitely want to stop trying to sell!!!).
We've become more philosophical though - i dont think it was our time to go. I kind of think things happen for a reason, and i think we were meant to be here the last couple of years (death of close family member & other family illnesses), so in a way, i'm glad we were here still...
However, we are soooo glad to be finally making the move this year, just wish our solicitor would get their fingers out and get on with this exchanging of contracts - which we wanted either this week or next week!

I'm sure hopefully everyone on this thread will have a better chance of selling this year, i'm sure that demand will outweigh supply of houses for sale...and other people will need to buy everyone's houses!

Cathy

Hi Cathy
Good luck. Let us know when you exchange contracts. I have everything crossed for you. As you said early it wasn't your time but now it is . I also belive things happen for a reason even if its good or bad. We can't have what we want when we want it as that would be boring . And we need the stress to keep us going don't we???

You say you could have made more money in 2007,but the people who wanted you house could have let you down things could have happened that were not good.
And I have learnt to think thats in the past now look forward to the future and stay positive.Thats what I am trying so hard to do.

Terrible to hear about your family but you were there when you were needed and if you had been in Oz it would have been so hard for you.
Good luck
Keep us updated
Julie
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by corgi
Hi Cathy
Good luck. Let us know when you exchange contracts. I have everything crossed for you. As you said early it wasn't your time but now it is . I also belive things happen for a reason even if its good or bad. We can't have what we want when we want it as that would be boring . And we need the stress to keep us going don't we???

You say you could have made more money in 2007,but the people who wanted you house could have let you down things could have happened that were not good.
And I have learnt to think thats in the past now look forward to the future and stay positive.Thats what I am trying so hard to do.

Terrible to hear about your family but you were there when you were needed and if you had been in Oz it would have been so hard for you.
Good luck
Keep us updated
Julie

Hi Julie, thanks for your message. I'll let you know once we've exchanged contracts! Hopefully i wont be waiting too much longer to do that!
Take care - let us know how things go for you....
Cathy
Old Mar 13th 2010, 9:49 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Cathy
Hi Cathy

Well now we know what renting involves and not sure it is for us. But DH is going to look at the figures and see what we can do. Basically if we rent it out it has to be self sufficient and not sure we can achieve that. When we look back now we wish we had put our house on the market when we applied for our visa but we were worried in case the visa application fell through. It only took about 6 months to get the visa and even then we didn't put the house on the market because DH hadn't told his parents. That took a few more months and by then the property market had crashed! I too think things happen for a reason and I am sorry to hear what happened to your family.

DH thinks we should take our property off the market and wait for things to pick up with the exchange rate, but I don't want to. I think if we do that we will never go and that will be the end of the dream.

I feel excited for you, for the stage that you are at and just wish we were there too.

Good luck to you too Julie, let's hope this is our year for selling and then we can get on with the rest of our lives.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 2:44 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAK
Hi Cathy

Well now we know what renting involves and not sure it is for us. But DH is going to look at the figures and see what we can do. Basically if we rent it out it has to be self sufficient and not sure we can achieve that. When we look back now we wish we had put our house on the market when we applied for our visa but we were worried in case the visa application fell through. It only took about 6 months to get the visa and even then we didn't put the house on the market because DH hadn't told his parents. That took a few more months and by then the property market had crashed! I too think things happen for a reason and I am sorry to hear what happened to your family.

DH thinks we should take our property off the market and wait for things to pick up with the exchange rate, but I don't want to. I think if we do that we will never go and that will be the end of the dream.

I feel excited for you, for the stage that you are at and just wish we were there too.

Good luck to you too Julie, let's hope this is our year for selling and then we can get on with the rest of our lives.
Hi Jak,

Sorry to read that you appear to be no closer towards resolving what to do with your house. We are see-sawing a bit with what to do but keep on coming back to renting the place out as the best way forward for us. You mentioned that if you rent out your property it needs to be self sufficient. I'm guessing you mean the rental inclome needs to at least cover the expenses?

Cheers,

Paul
Old Mar 13th 2010, 4:07 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulry
Hi Jak,

Sorry to read that you appear to be no closer towards resolving what to do with your house. We are see-sawing a bit with what to do but keep on coming back to renting the place out as the best way forward for us. You mentioned that if you rent out your property it needs to be self sufficient. I'm guessing you mean the rental inclome needs to at least cover the expenses?

Cheers,

Paul
Hi Paul

Yes that is what we need, but don't think we would achieve that taking into account the mortgage, insurance and other bills that we would have to pay when the property was empty, plus any repairs that might need to be paid for. As I said my husband is going to have a look at the figures next week and get some quotes for extending the mortgage, we know we have to have a different mortgage if the property is to be rented. So still no further on and still no interest in our property.

Janet
Old Mar 13th 2010, 7:24 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAK
Hi Paul

Yes that is what we need, but don't think we would achieve that taking into account the mortgage, insurance and other bills that we would have to pay when the property was empty, plus any repairs that might need to be paid for. As I said my husband is going to have a look at the figures next week and get some quotes for extending the mortgage, we know we have to have a different mortgage if the property is to be rented. So still no further on and still no interest in our property.

Janet
Hi Janet,

I understand that some lenders are okay with leaving mortgages on the original arrangement for up to two years but extending your mortgage could mean that you'll have to switch to a landlords buy to let mortgage unless you have an overpayment reserve to draw back on. I'm not sure if a new mortgage would mean that your full interest from the new mortgage would be tax deductable. If it is the case it might make it a little more palatable to switch.

It's spreadsheets galore in my house lately working out budgets for this that and the other.

Don't lose hope with selling, stick with it. Good luck

Paul
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAK
Hi Cathy

Hi Sorry to hear that renting may not be the answer for you guys. We had looked into it ourselves a year or so ago, but for the same reasons as you decided that it wasn't financially viable for us as the monthly rental would only just have covered our mortgage payments & any fee's - and we needed equity from the house to fund the actual move (and we didn't really want to borrow more money). I was also worried about being so far away incase things went wrong - I know that's what you pay agents for - but i'm probably a control freak when it comes to things like that

But there's plenty of people that have done it - you can tell that from this site alone, so it obviously works well for some.
I do hope you manage to find that elusive buyer though before you have to look into renting further.

As for us - no news @ this morning...Chased our solicitors twice friday - and they never got back to us. The other half has rung already this morning and is waiting for the guy to return his call. Need to put the pressure on them this week because we want those contracts exchanged by friday if possible. Just need to know it's done so we can start planning other things and i can once again hand my notice in at work!

take care
Cathy
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sorry to hear that renting may not be the answer for you guys. We had looked into it ourselves a year or so ago, but for the same reasons as you decided that it wasn't financially viable for us as the monthly rental would only just have covered our mortgage payments & any fee's - and we needed equity from the house to fund the actual move (and we didn't really want to borrow more money). I was also worried about being so far away incase things went wrong - I know that's what you pay agents for - but i'm probably a control freak when it comes to things like that

But there's plenty of people that have done it - you can tell that from this site alone, so it obviously works well for some.
I do hope you manage to find that elusive buyer though before you have to look into renting further.

As for us - no news @ this morning...Chased our solicitors twice friday - and they never got back to us. The other half has rung already this morning and is waiting for the guy to return his call. Need to put the pressure on them this week because we want those contracts exchanged by friday if possible. Just need to know it's done so we can start planning other things and i can once again hand my notice in at work!

take care
Cathy
Fingers crossed Cathy...
Today here was 27C and sunny, everyone at work saying "too hot"...

Last edited by ianandhelena; Mar 15th 2010 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 3:53 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

take care
Cathy
Just noticed a 'sold' sign has gone on a house just down the road from us, it is smaller than ours and cheaper, but a bigger one sold near us a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed it goes in 3's and we are next at least it shows the market is starting to move around us. I hope you hear something soon

Janet
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Fingers crossed Cathy...
Today here was 27C and sunny, everyone at work saying "too hot"...
Thanks! Solicitor has said they're still waiting to hear more from buyers solicitor so we've asked them to chase them...and rang agent to ring buyer and get them to chase from their end. I do sometimes wonder why you have to pay agents/solicitors at all - when it always seems like you're doing all the work yourselves!
Glad to hear your nice weather is lasting a while before the cooler weather sets in! I'm sure it's going to be either raining or very cold by the time we arrive! LOL

Originally Posted by JAK
Just noticed a 'sold' sign has gone on a house just down the road from us, it is smaller than ours and cheaper, but a bigger one sold near us a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed it goes in 3's and we are next at least it shows the market is starting to move around us. I hope you hear something soon

Janet
Hi Janet, i do hope so! Sounds like things are moving in your area. That's what it was like where we live from Christmas onwards - all of a sudden sold signs were popping up everywhere - so fingerscrossed you'll get plenty of interest in your house soon.
I feel like there's nothing i can do until we have exchanged contracts now...it just gets so frustrating waiting on other people all the time.
Still, the good news is that i'm planning my 40th birthday party for next month - which hopefully will now be a combined leaving party for all our closest friends and family Had hoped to be out there before the big 40 but nevermind! I can no longer tell people in the future that i emigrated in my 30's! Only that i applied for my visa's in my mid-30's and by the time i got there i was 40
Old Mar 16th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAK
Hi Cathy

Hi Cathy

We have had ours on the market since 2007 and kept to the same agaent as it would of cost us over £800 to change estate agents.
You will not find a buyer if your house in not for sale.
It will happen for us all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.