British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Whinging Pom Add banned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/whinging-pom-add-banned-421446/)

Lord Pom Percy Jan 25th 2007 7:49 am

Whinging Pom Add banned

Whinging Pom add banned because of large numbers of Poms whinging that its offensive.:ohmy:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

MD09 Jan 25th 2007 7:54 am

Re: Whinging Pom Add banned

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy (Post 4323348)
Whinging Pom add banned because of large numbers of Poms whinging that its offensive.:ohmy:

That's terrible Muriel - I loved that ad!

Some people have no sense of 'umour.

If you can't have a laugh at yourself, what hope is there...

Wendy Jan 25th 2007 7:56 am

Political correctness strikes again. How wonderful!!

Lord Pom Percy Jan 25th 2007 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4323371)
Political correctness strikes again. How wonderful!!

If they showed an Add in the Uk making fun of a stereotypical Aussie, do you think all the Aussies living in the Uk would ring up asking it to be banned? l don't think so. Who said its the Aussies that don't have a sense of humour?

Grayling Jan 25th 2007 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy (Post 4323379)
If they showed an Add in the Uk making fun of a stereotypical Aussie, do you think all the Aussies living in the Uk would ring up asking it to be banned? l don't think so. Who said its the Aussies that don't have a sense of humour?

The Aussies would not have realised it was a mickey-take....they would have thought it was a documentary.

G

Wendy Jan 25th 2007 8:10 am

I love the Aussie adverts. :rofl: I think they are so funny.

Tell it like it is, that's the way I find them :rofl:

You are right, people have lost the ability to laugh at themselves. I blame the immigrants ;)

Grayling Jan 25th 2007 8:15 am

Another example of Australian political correctness gone mad.:(

G

The Murphsters Jan 25th 2007 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy (Post 4323348)

I read the article and missed the part that said "large numbers of poms whinging" was i looking in the wrong place?

What you will probably find is what happends in the UK on a regular basis, liberal do-gooders who are probably aussie, probably women and probably working in HR have done the complaining on behalf of the "poor poms".

In the UK you ususally find it is middle class white women who are doing most of the compaining about percieved racism in society, even complaining about the most stupid of things that not one black person has found offensive. Its a problem that seems to be getting bigger.

sassenach Jan 25th 2007 8:17 am

What you mean like a bunch of drunken no hopers who love to shirk work and are a bunch of racists ,i think british television has moved on from that now .

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 25th 2007 8:18 am

If they showed an Add in the Uk making fun of a stereotypical Aussie, do you think all the Aussies living in the Uk would ring up asking it to be banned? l don't think so.

Oh I don't know... I think if there was an ad being shown in the UK that showed Australians as ignorant, sheep shaggers I think one or two Aussies might get a bit tetchy about it. Don't you?

Grayling Jan 25th 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4323417)
Oh I don't know... I think if there was an ad being shown in the UK that showed Australians as ignorant, sheep shaggers I think one or two Aussies might get a bit tetchy about it. Don't you?

....or think it is another documentary.;)

MD09 Jan 25th 2007 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4323403)
you are right, people have lost the ability to laugh at themselves. I blame the immigrants ;)

Wendy, I couldn't agree more. There are immigrants who come here and just slot in like they have always lived here. These people are usually very likable.

Then you have the type who just want to change oz into a mini UK. These people either end up back in the UK or stay and live a miserable existence complaining about everything and anything.

MD09 Jan 25th 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4323417)

The kiwis are seen as the sheep shaggers here, so an ad like that wouldn't really work.

Wendy Jan 25th 2007 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MD09 (Post 4323421)
Wendy, I couldn't agree more. There are immigrants who come here and just slot in like they have always lived here. These people are usually very likable.

Then you have the type who just want to change oz into a mini UK. These people either end up back in the UK or stay and live a miserable existence complaining about everything and anything.

Well I was being silly really ;)

But in a way I do agree with you - sort of :D

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 25th 2007 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MD09 (Post 4323425)
The kiwis are seen as the sheep shaggers here, so an ad like that wouldn't really work.

read the post again.. its the stereotypical, UK view, of Australian men.