Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom Add banned

Whinging Pom Add banned

Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:33 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom Add banned

Don't we both - you and I, own international rugby tops? That's different in my opinion

Rugby shirt wearers! The fashion polce will be after you.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
lol. I actually think that is sort of sensible - but of course you shouldn't have to sell them...please, I don't have a problem with tops themselves, its the users attached to them in the main....this bloke was so nervous too - almost jumpy.

Don't we both - you and I, own international rugby tops? That's different in my opinion - as they often mark a bloke out as loving the international game - many will wear the top of another country - which is different to Premier league 'tribalism', but I am nonetheless circumspect in wearing them - partly cos I'm in VIC. I have't worn one in years.

I don't think its because people wear them, I think it's the 'WAY' they wear them, like they want someone to start on about it. There is nothing wrong with supporting a team, but when you support them to get a reaction only THEN you're going to have a problem.

Does that make sense? Probably not
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

lol. I actually think that is sort of sensible - but of course you shouldn't have to sell them...please, I don't have a problem with tops themselves, its the users attached to them in the main....this bloke was so nervous too - almost jumpy.

Don't we both - you and I, own international rugby tops? That's different in my opinion - as they often mark a bloke out as loving the international game - many will wear the top of another country - which is different to Premier league 'tribalism', but I am nonetheless circumspect in wearing them - partly cos I'm in VIC. I have't worn one in years.
Only got my England rugby top left.. funny that I could wear an Oz top in the UK but would feel a bit of an arse wearing it here.. pom trying a bit too hard.

I used to be a staunch United supporter, and followed them all over the UK and Europe and the tribalism was a major part, and one of the more enjoyable parts funnily enough. Its definately something for when you are younger as it looks a bit daft when you get older, but that intensity of support is something you don't find in the rugby world.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't think its because people wear them, I think it's the 'WAY' they wear them, like they want someone to start on about it. There is nothing wrong with supporting a team, but when you support them to get a reaction only THEN you're going to have a problem.

Does that make sense? Probably not
Perfect sense. Most of the monkeys I see wearing these tops actually look either aggressive - well they think they are - doesn't phase me - or just a bit too proud - like - I've moved 10k miles from home to start a new life but I want you all to know I'm still a chav/pleb. His eyes were darting about which is how I clocked him in the first place.

The next paragraph contains a sweeping generalisation: This bloke today was a good example of the sort of chav that this country attracts - it's true. The funny thing is, ultimately it's his problem i) he'll probably only mix with Poms ii) or he'll go home.(!)
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Only got my England rugby top left.. funny that I could wear an Oz top in the UK but would feel a bit of an arse wearing it here.. pom trying a bit too hard.
I know what you mean. Bizarrely, I have worn a Super 12 top (in Sydney) but I don't feel tribal, maybe people just assume you are from that region - but will never wear an Australian 'gold jumper' - even though I am a citizen (!) - I don't like them for a start. Hate those cricket ones too - colour? 4 years ago in Sydney I even had people come up to me and ask me if I was a player!! I wish..

Maybe football tribalism is more intense, but I think the rugby supporters have a better time.(!)
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:12 am
Account Closed

Maybe football tribalism is more intense, but I think the rugby supporters have a better time.(!)
Probably true. I got more interested in the rugby as I got older, despite playing it at school, and the rugby is much easier going.... but I wouldn't have missed the time in my teens and 20's supporting United for anything.. I tired of it eventually but standing, as it was then, shoulder to shoulder with literally thousands of like minded people was special, and unless you did it, particularly in that era, its difficult to understand...
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably true. I got more interested in the rugby as I got older, despite playing it at school, and the rugby is much easier going.... but I wouldn't have missed the time in my teens and 20's supporting United for anything.. I tired of it eventually but standing, as it was then, shoulder to shoulder with literally thousands of like minded people was special, and unless you did it, particularly in that era, its difficult to understand...
There is a time and place. Fatherhood, and living in VIC has diminished my interest in rugby in a way I never thought it would, but there is a interest there somewhere.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:36 am
Account Closed

There is a time and place. Fatherhood, and living in VIC has diminished my interest in rugby in a way I never thought it would, but there is a interest there somewhere.

United losing used to wreck my weekend.. now it doesn't merit more than a shrug of the shoulders.. more important things started to matter many years ago.

Though I would still be gutted if they don't beat Chelski to the Premier League title
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:41 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Too much political correctness in Australia?

G
yea i suppose calling a black a N----R is acceptable as well or an italian a D--g etc etc etc .Just because some english like to kowtow down to their aussie cousins by accepting the word pom as a term of endearment doesnt mean we all like it ,and lets face it its a racial slur just like all the others going around but the english are expected to take it for some reason .
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:47 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MD09
The kiwis are seen as the sheep shaggers here, so an ad like that wouldn't really work.
It might work in NZ. At least they can handle a mickey-take (this will only be obvious to those who can tell aussies and kiwis apart).

http://www.toyota.co.nz/MOTMPages/hi...o160520051554/

(Click on large or small next to the bulls ad.)

Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:50 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Without trying to cause arguments or anything, it really depends where you come from in the UK.

Where I lived it was absolutely horrible, no matter who you are you would most likely hate it there. Most of the people on here have had a, if not priveledge life, then an easier life than I could ever have hoped for.

Australia for me gives me more choices than I'd have ever had in the UK.

I appreciate that for some, Australia isn't that fabulous but then some people like yourself should afford us the same decency and see that we actually do have more choice here and a better future for our kids.
what choices have you got here that you havent got in the uk ? i challenge you to name me one thing .
In regards to kids it may or may not be better for the kids but for adult children such as mine they find australia incredibly boring and would much prefer to be in europe because of better job oppurtunities and the historical and varied countries all within close proximity of each other .
And in regards to decency ,well i give to those that give to me and i have found those that have found utopia in australia to be as every bit as arrogant and shallow as white born australians who think its the dogs bollox ,when i n reality its no different to anywhere else .
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
yea i suppose calling a black a N----R is acceptable as well or an italian a D--g etc etc etc .Just because some english like to kowtow down to their aussie cousins by accepting the word pom as a term of endearment doesnt mean we all like it ,and lets face it its a racial slur just like all the others going around but the english are expected to take it for some reason .

Don't you recognise sarcasm?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

United losing used to wreck my weekend.. now it doesn't merit more than a shrug of the shoulders.. more important things started to matter many years ago.

Though I would still be gutted if they don't beat Chelski to the Premier League title
Please don't tell me MUFC haven't bought their success too like Chelsea (it's so easy to denigrate Chelsea because of the Russian connection, MUFC is American owned and sponsored - Glasser's and AIG). Give me a little time and I'll think of something like Chelski appropriate to MUFC. At a guess there are more English players in the Chelsea team too.

OzTennis
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
what choices have you got here that you havent got in the uk ? i challenge you to name me one thing .
In regards to kids it may or may not be better for the kids but for adult children such as mine they find australia incredibly boring and would much prefer to be in europe because of better job oppurtunities and the historical and varied countries all within close proximity of each other .
And in regards to decency ,well i give to those that give to me and i have found those that have found utopia in australia to be as every bit as arrogant and shallow as white born australians who think its the dogs bollox ,when i n reality its no different to anywhere else .

You come from the south don't you. I can tell by your arrogance

For me life in the Uk was living hand to mouth, no holidays in Europe for us, we couldn't afford it. My Mum was dying from Cancer and I had to take a loan out to take her on holiday to Greece as she'd never been out of Bradford let alone on holiday.

I had a 3 bed ex council semi with a 45k mortgage and STILL couldn't afford to save anything. We lived 2 hours away from anywhere nice and our car wouldn't have made it there cos it was a heap of junk, but it's all we could afford.

My hubby had a job in a factory, didn't get a pay rise for 5 YEARS, not even the inflation rate. He didn't have sick pay as they didn't pay it, he had 20 days holidays but even when he was off they called him in cos he was maintenance and he was the only one doing that job. He was salaried so didn't get overtime either

For some people the UK is better, for US it wasn't. It's nothing to do with being an 'Aussie Wannabe' I want a life, I have one here if you find that offensive then that's YOUR problem not mine
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'd think the power of the £ rather. 9 million tuned in to see the racist bully evicted (double the audience before the incidents) and £2 mill was spent voting her off (which Ch 4 donated to charity as a PR stunt). Ch 4 executives are claiming that by including what they deny as racism in their show that they are 'bringing the issue into the public conscience and encouraging healthy debate'.

OzTennis
It sure beats a turkey slapping incident when it comes to getting the chattering class interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.