Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom Add banned

Whinging Pom Add banned

Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:32 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whinging Pom Add banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
Without trying to cause arguments or anything, it really depends where you come from in the UK.

Where I lived it was absolutely horrible, no matter who you are you would most likely hate it there. Most of the people on here have had a, if not priveledge life, then an easier life than I could ever have hoped for.

Australia for me gives me more choices than I'd have ever had in the UK.

I appreciate that for some, Australia isn't that fabulous but then some people like yourself should afford us the same decency and see that we actually do have more choice here and a better future for our kids.
i agree with what your saying but moving within the uk would most likely change things for most people .
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Watch it sunshine.

I'm from Manchester, occasionally wear the colours and sometimes have a Huge Rant.
I really don't get it. I saw a soccer top bloke in the mall today. What got me about him was the fact that he looked perpetually stunned and self-conscious like he expected to be challenged about it - he had this slight aggressive walk too. It was like he was deliberately trying to make a point about being a Pom in a sea of Australians. Proud - not really! Fat git - yes.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Whinging Pom add banned because of large numbers of Poms whinging that its offensive.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html
Over 50,000 Poms whinged to the broadcasting standards authority and Channel 4 (about racism and bullying) and Celebrity Big Brother was not taken off the air. On the other side of the world, a few Poms whinge about an ad in Australia and it gets taken off. The moral of the story?

OzTennis
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
On the other side of the world, a few Poms whinge about an ad in Australia and it gets taken off. The moral of the story?
Too much political correctness in Australia?

G
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
i agree with what your saying but moving within the uk would most likely change things for most people .

Tried that. Hubby was offered a job in a Cornwall so long as he took a 10,000 pound pay cut. Just couldn't do it, house price were twice what they were where we lived and we couldn't have afforded to remortgage there.

If you live anywhere down South in the UK you've got choices like that, anywhere North then you haven't. Sad but true

The North/South divide is alive and kicking
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:45 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I really don't get it. I saw a soccer top bloke in the mall today. What got me about him was the fact that he looked perpetually stunned and self-conscious like he expected to be challenged about it - he had this slight aggressive walk too. It was like he was deliberately trying to make a point about being a Pom in a sea of Australians. Proud - not really! Fat git - yes.
Ban shellsuits and football shirts I say. 99% of chavs would be off the streets as they would have nothing left to wear.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Shit !! That was me

Ok. I'm lying.

I used to wear united shirts at the match or down the pub, watching the match on the box. Sold my two shirts before coming here.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Too much political correctness in Australia?

G
I'd think the power of the £ rather. 9 million tuned in to see the racist bully evicted (double the audience before the incidents) and £2 mill was spent voting her off (which Ch 4 donated to charity as a PR stunt). Ch 4 executives are claiming that by including what they deny as racism in their show that they are 'bringing the issue into the public conscience and encouraging healthy debate'.

OzTennis
Old Jan 25th 2007, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BTW the said racist, porcine bully earns £8 mill p.a., apparently just by being what was hitherto thought of as a likeable dumbwit. That's scary and says a lot about the great public (£1 mill p.a. alone from a perfume deal - would a lady really buy something endorsed by someone looking like that?)

OzTennis
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
BTW the said racist, porcine bully earns £8 mill p.a., apparently just by being what was hitherto thought of as a likeable dumbwit. That's scary and says a lot about the great public (£1 mill p.a. alone from a perfume deal - would a lady really buy something endorsed by someone looking like that?)

OzTennis
Can't believe i'm missing big brother!! the Aussie version was pants!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Did she

Well you'll be able to tell who she is on the beaches of the UK anyway, just look for the 'bronze' godess in the middle of the lobster looking women

and a third the size..........
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster
and a third the size..........

Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Whinging Pom add banned because of large numbers of Poms whinging that its offensive.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

Disappointing, very disappointing. We're not there yet, but one of the reasons for getting outta the UK is the warp-drive intro of political correctness and erosion of that good ol' pastime of poking fun at each other.
Knowing that "my fellow countrymen" have got this ad withdrawn is poor, very poor.
I actually think the fat geezer on the bar stool is a spot on "Brit Abroad".
I've seen worse...............!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:17 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think its funny. The English i know out here would like to class the Scots out here as POMs. But the Ozzies and Kiwis dont. I wonder why?
Old Jan 25th 2007, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Shit !! That was me

Ok. I'm lying.

I used to wear united shirts at the match or down the pub, watching the match on the box. Sold my two shirts before coming here.
lol. I actually think that is sort of sensible - but of course you shouldn't have to sell them...please, I don't have a problem with tops themselves, its the users attached to them in the main....this bloke was so nervous too - almost jumpy.

Don't we both - you and I, own international rugby tops? That's different in my opinion - as they often mark a bloke out as loving the international game - many will wear the top of another country - which is different to Premier league 'tribalism', but I am nonetheless circumspect in wearing them - partly cos I'm in VIC. I have't worn one in years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.