Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where have you been today?

Where have you been today?

Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where have you been today?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Hang on, I'll pin a gold star onto a part of your attire. Full of admiration for anyone that confronts their fears and takes a small step to alleviate said fears. A little more time and your adapt to the world outside of Sydney. We can work on attitude next......good you got the passport though and made it to Singers anyway.
I wonder who troubadour will blame this time given the misfortune of spending all his time in second rate joints.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My worst traffic experience of Singapore was flying into Changi at 8pm on a Friday and taking more than 4 hours to get over the causeway
Another joy of heading to the armpit of Asia. You should have stayed in Singers.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I wonder who troubadour will blame this time given the misfortune of spending all his time in second rate joints.
So how's it going Vasco? (De Gama) I sense the adventure you feel leaving footprints in a place few white men have walked....the exotic intoxication of the East. Or would have been 150 years ago. Singers, is just another commercial city these days. Probably on par or close to with Australia. For a bit more 'adventure' Vasco you should cross the causeway .....far more interesting.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Another joy of heading to the armpit of Asia. You should have stayed in Singers.
Could have stayed in Sydney almost only venturing to Singers. Although, I admit Singers, out classes Sydney on most all measurements.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our local beach sculpture exhibition. As with every year there's some that I have no time or interest in, some that make me think but not necessarily good things and some I just love. Also it's a great hour's walk on one of the best beaches I've ever visited and that never gets old. Not a fan of my beach being crowded but they'll all be gone next week.

Old Sep 18th 2018, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could have stayed in Sydney almost only venturing to Singers. Although, I admit Singers, out classes Sydney on most all measurements.
I could have made more money staying in Sydney, however months of nagging to get to Singers coupled with some pit passes to the grand prix was the clincher. Been doing the Singers trip 4 times (at least) per year for a long time. However things are booming in Sydney and that's where the cash cow is right now.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Our local beach sculpture exhibition.
Nice, what is the big dingo made of?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Nice, what is the big dingo made of?
I didn't buy the catalogue so not sure other than metal. I have a look don't touch policy but the guys in front of me were stroking it. A lot.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 11:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, true. But it's so much cheaper in the armpit.. And all those motorcyclists travelling across the causeway is a sight to behold. One hand on the throttle and the other on their iPhone!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I could have made more money staying in Sydney, however months of nagging to get to Singers coupled with some pit passes to the grand prix was the clincher. Been doing the Singers trip 4 times (at least) per year for a long time. However things are booming in Sydney and that's where the cash cow is right now.
But life isn't just a monopoly game you should have begin to realise. Sydney booming? A house of cards on quick sand comes to mind. Singers is way in front of Sydney. In location, in business, in everything I can point a finger at. Okay place to be an ex pat, with all expenses, otherwise forget it, far prefer KL anyway. But Singers, a city I first went to many decades ago as an eighteen year old back packer, at a time when Singers was still holding out as cheap, with hordes of Aussies attracted for that very reason , being cheap and Asia in miniature, has changed probably more than any other city I can think of on the planet. KL would rank close to it. I suppose smaller cities like Malacca are up there as well, but hardly well known.

I still think a trip across the causeway would be beneficial. My only question being, if true, for someone who claims to travel to Singers four times a year, be so uninformed about Malaysia, to address it as the 'arm pit' of Asia?
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Up to Coburg, buying cheap Strawberries.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Strawberry fiasco now apparently entrenched in WA as well. Expect some heavily price reduced as a result. Probably lucky to break even some growers depending on discount being given.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

But life isn't just a monopoly game you should have begin to realise. Sydney booming? A house of cards on quick sand comes to mind. Singers is way in front of Sydney. In location, in business, in everything I can point a finger at. Okay place to be an ex pat, with all expenses, otherwise forget it, far prefer KL anyway. But Singers, a city I first went to many decades ago as an eighteen year old back packer, at a time when Singers was still holding out as cheap, with hordes of Aussies attracted for that very reason , being cheap and Asia in miniature, has changed probably more than any other city I can think of on the planet. KL would rank close to it. I suppose smaller cities like Malacca are up there as well, but hardly well known.

I still think a trip across the causeway would be beneficial. My only question being, if true, for someone who claims to travel to Singers four times a year, be so uninformed about Malaysia, to address it as the 'arm pit' of Asia?
I know Malacca very well. When I first went there it was a rather sleepy old place but now it's a tourist trap, maxed out with property developments and chock full of cars thanks to near zero town planning and greasy palms. It's still a great place to visit though.

As for going across the causeway into JB, what a shocker of a mess they've made there with all those Chinese-built apartment blocks.
Old Sep 19th 2018, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know Malacca very well. When I first went there it was a rather sleepy old place but now it's a tourist trap, maxed out with property developments and chock full of cars thanks to near zero town planning and greasy palms. It's still a great place to visit though.

As for going across the causeway into JB, what a shocker of a mess they've made there with all those Chinese-built apartment blocks.
Well how about that? Malacca was once my honouree 'home town'. I lived out of town but great location. Such friendly people to top it off. Locals back a few decades ago referred to it as 'sleepy hollow'. A lot of changes, with the river side development, and indeed speculators have tarnished the image somewhat. Far less cars actually in later years around the historical Dutch buildings, a shame what they did to St Pauls Hill as well. Indeed a lot of tourists these days, mostly from KL and Singapore but also China.
I have quite a 'history' in that state so it'll always be a special place. Malaysia is great overall with Penang offering a broader range of possibilities , but has become a little claustrophobic IMO at least from past times. KL has really come into its own though.
Never liked JB even in the 'old days'. Always been a little edgy I suppose but parts of Johor state are fine. .
Old Sep 19th 2018, 9:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I went there in 1994 and it was a great place

Hate to think what it's like now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.