Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where have you been today?

Where have you been today?

Old Sep 16th 2018, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where have you been today?

Nice one Paulry

We're back from Bali, acclimatising to the much cooler weather here in Melbourne. Been for a walk down the park in our jumpers and jeans. It's nice to be able to walk at the pace you want rather than through the throngs of people in the tourist areas of Seminyak. It's slowly dawning on me, even after almost 63 years, I'm a rare beast inasmuch as cooler v hot weather is a very trivial living issue to me.

Surprises me that people would move from somewhere cool yet lively and seemingly infinite in it's choices and amenities to somewhere warm where those choices and horizons are far less to the point of being limited.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nice one Paulry

We're back from Bali, acclimatising to the much cooler weather here in Melbourne. Been for a walk down the park in our jumpers and jeans. It's nice to be able to walk at the pace you want rather than through the throngs of people in the tourist areas of Seminyak. It's slowly dawning on me, even after almost 63 years, I'm a rare beast inasmuch as cooler v hot weather is a very trivial living issue to me.

Surprises me that people would move from somewhere cool yet lively and seemingly infinite in it's choices and amenities to somewhere warm where those choices and horizons are far less to the point of being limited.
Not sure why it should surprise you. For starters costs allow a far greater choice of living options. Warmer weather is better for ancient bones. The chances of a far better social life tops the icing on the cake. Question more to the tune of why wouldn't one?
Old Sep 16th 2018, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Not sure why it should surprise you. For starters, costs allow a far greater choice of living options. Warmer weather is better for ancient bones. The chances of a far better social life tops the icing on the cake. Question more to the tune of why wouldn't one?
Mosquitos, Skin Cancer, chaffing, Brown dryness, Dust, flys, ants. difficulty sleeping, difficult to grow decent home vegies in hotter climates. I can think of lots of reasons
Old Sep 16th 2018, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Mosquitos, Skin Cancer, chaffing, Brown dryness, Dust, flys, ants. difficulty sleeping, difficult to grow decent home vegies in hotter climates. I can think of lots of reasons
Thought OZ was the world's capital for skin cancer. But anyway, while agreeing the tropics are not for everyone, the positives are plenty. Great and affordable food, hardly difficult sleeping with a thing called air con, friendly people, even Aussies are less self centred and more open, ease and cheapness to travel to other countries, some great housing options, less rules and regs, great hospital care if required at affordable prices I can think of loads more reasons.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 1:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Today I went to a morning tea my Mum did for scouse's birthday. Just a week after she lost one of her dearest friends in a horrific multiple homicide, my 85 year old Mum had made all of scouse's favourite things, including two huge Victoria sponges (one for family, one for him to take home) and two equally huge apple pies (again, one for family to share and one for scouse). That she did this despite her numbness, shock and grief is a measure of how much she loves him.

Today I realised how glad I am to be home. Now I just have to try to sneak a piece of apple pie before the birthday boy demolishes it all.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Today I went to a morning tea my Mum did for scouse's birthday. Just a week after she lost one of her dearest friends in a horrific multiple homicide, my 85 year old Mum had made all of scouse's favourite things, including two huge Victoria sponges (one for family, one for him to take home) and two equally huge apple pies (again, one for family to share and one for scouse). That she did this despite her numbness, shock and grief is a measure of how much she loves him.

Today I realised how glad I am to be home. Now I just have to try to sneak a piece of apple pie before the birthday boy demolishes it all.

Sorry to hear that Scouse.

Our only outing yesterday was Woolworth supermarket. Although it was great walking around wide aisles with very few people in them
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Scouse.

Our only outing yesterday was Woolworth supermarket. Although it was great walking around wide aisles with very few people in them
Thanks Ozzie. An uncrowded shopping experience is a wonderful thing, especially after battling crowds! I remember fighting my way out of Ben Thanh markets in HCMC when the crowds, heat and noise got a bit too much for my sleepy Perthite brain
Old Sep 17th 2018, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

If your mum is anything like me she may find baking quite therapeutic. Maybe it helped her, I hope so. It's particularly satisfying to bake food for those we love. I hope she's doing okay given the circumstances. I can't find the words to express how I feel about this whole situation.
Happy Birthday to Scouse. Hope you managed to snaffle some apple pie.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:44 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
If your mum is anything like me she may find baking quite therapeutic. Maybe it helped her, I hope so. It's particularly satisfying to bake food for those we love. I hope she's doing okay given the circumstances. I can't find the words to express how I feel about this whole situation.
Happy Birthday to Scouse. Hope you managed to snaffle some apple pie.
Thanks chook. Yes, Mum's motto's always been 'food is love' so making it is a pleasure, although she's getting a bit shaky on her pins and her eyesight's failing. Scouse insisted that we'll share the apple pie - oh alright then
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting in Singapore traffic. It amazes me how a place so well run like Singapore cannot clear a Grand Prix circuit before Monday morning.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sitting in Singapore traffic. It amazes me how a place so well run like Singapore cannot clear a Grand Prix circuit before Monday morning.
Well being a hop, step and jump away from your self proclaimed, 'armpit of Asia' country, it should hardly come as a suspire some minor inconvenience. With first class public transport, usually not a lot of need to drive though. I'm sure you'll discover the 'fun side' to being abroad though.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well being a hop, step and jump away from your self proclaimed, 'armpit of Asia' country, it should hardly come as a suspire some minor inconvenience. With first class public transport, usually not a lot of need to drive though. I'm sure you'll discover the 'fun side' to being abroad though.
Yes. Post Grand Prix traffic was just like the armpit of Asia. Thankfully normal service has resumed and I can leave the armpit of Asia to it's TRUE servant ..... you.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 1:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Love Singapore

That place and Tokyo are my 2 favourite Asian cities
Old Sep 18th 2018, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes. Post Grand Prix traffic was just like the armpit of Asia. Thankfully normal service has resumed and I can leave the armpit of Asia to it's TRUE servant ..... you.
Hang on, I'll pin a gold star onto a part of your attire. Full of admiration for anyone that confronts their fears and takes a small step to alleviate said fears. A little more time and your adapt to the world outside of Sydney. We can work on attitude next......good you got the passport though and made it to Singers anyway.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 3:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My worst traffic experience of Singapore was flying into Changi at 8pm on a Friday and taking more than 4 hours to get over the causeway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.