Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

where do we begin???

Wikiposts

where do we begin???

Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough
Default where do we begin???

hi , my name is Yvonne , i currently live in leicester with my husband to be (dec28th) and two gorgeous girls, Katie 5yrs and Lucy 9 months, we have decided we want to head out to oz to begin a new life that gives us more time as a family and lots of sun, we are hoping to come out on a sponsorship with my job as a midwife and would love to head to the sunshine coast, or Brisbane, so far we like the sound of Buderim and Caloudra. Can you please give me lots of advice on where to begin. My priority is a good school for our girls and lots of activities and good social life as a family. I want to know where to begin on looking for houses to rent, cost of living, life out there and recommended places. We have never been to oz and we will not visit before we head out for a new life, crazy but it all comes down to the pennies. We currently rent in the UK so guess we have nothing to lose my being brave! We are commiting to two years work there on sponsorship so i really want some help on where to head, please ,please give opinions on anything and everything see you all soon hopefully love lots yvonne
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:28 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where do we begin???

Originally Posted by yvonnemidwife
hi , my name is Yvonne , i currently live in leicester with my husband to be (dec28th) and two gorgeous girls, Katie 5yrs and Lucy 9 months, we have decided we want to head out to oz to begin a new life that gives us more time as a family and lots of sun, we are hoping to come out on a sponsorship with my job as a midwife and would love to head to the sunshine coast, or Brisbane, so far we like the sound of Buderim and Caloudra. Can you please give me lots of advice on where to begin. My priority is a good school for our girls and lots of activities and good social life as a family. I want to know where to begin on looking for houses to rent, cost of living, life out there and recommended places. We have never been to oz and we will not visit before we head out for a new life, crazy but it all comes down to the pennies. We currently rent in the UK so guess we have nothing to lose my being brave! We are commiting to two years work there on sponsorship so i really want some help on where to head, please ,please give opinions on anything and everything see you all soon hopefully love lots yvonne
Hi Yvonne & welcome to BE , the search facility is a fab tool to find these answers ... just hang around & read up .

Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

greetings and welcome to the forum

you wont regret oz i think
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi and welcome to BE here are a few sites to look at
www.realestate.com.au propertys
www.ourbrisbane.com.au general stuff about brisbane
www.seek.com.au jobs.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

yvonnemidwife will become famous soon enoughyvonnemidwife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Icarus
Hi Yvonne & welcome to BE , the search facility is a fab tool to find these answers ... just hang around & read up .

Good luck
thats great , will take atour thanks
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:21 am
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Fellow midwife
I suggest that you concentrate on getting your job organised as that will give you an idea of whether you end up in Sunshine Beach (Gorgeous) or Brisbane (FAB). You can then look into which areas have the better schools etc. Word of warning job wise - private care more like American maternity and you will be an obstetric nurse, public care and it's more like UK. Suggest you look into Queensland Health for jobs. I went on a reccie last year to Brisbane and did a thread on it. The search facility is great for finding out LOADS of stuff. There are loads on here that can help. ASk away though.
All the best Yvonne - it is a long and scary process. I loved it there and dream of one day calling it home
p.s. If I can help let me know.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: where do we begin???

hi Babycatcher, that is great thank you, so where you now settled , did you go for sponsorship with hospital/ relocation etc. Mater mothers really keen and seem nice... its good to have your skills appreciated.. nhs we re just a number and worked to death!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:08 am

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

hi Babycatcher, that is great thank you, so where you now settled , did you go for sponsorship with hospital/ relocation etc. Mater mothers really keen and seem nice... its good to have your skills appreciated.. nhs we re just a number and worked to death!
Hi Yvonne I am still in in UK I would go for sponsership, as only been working here for 5 months. Is Maters public? I don't know. Actually they may have both public and private from memory. Think they interview in London don't they? EVERYONE seemed really nice when I was there. They are crying out for midwives. Money still low compared to other professions but I think they are valued more. Staffing levels were SOOOOOOO much better. Not hard though!
Keep me posted. When you thinking of heading out? I would like to be there (if we go) by next Summer (UK) 09. Would be ideal timing for my kids...
Keep me posted
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:52 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Only my opinion, but I would not look at perth to be honest, I found it quite boring and it can get so hot that I was stuck inside on most of my days off with the air-con full on and the flies in Perth drive you nuts, with small kids I would definitely look for a cooler part of Oz.
Good luck.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

we,re thinking of going in January, we get married on 28th December so what a start to married life! Mater do have both public and private, and brand new unit opens in June that sounds fantastic, mater have been so friendly and really enthusiastic. They are attending the australian expo in leeds on 5+6th april and interviwing on the monday so should have a decision quite soon ! January also ideal as kids start school year on jan 27th out there so ideal for our 5 yr old not to feel the total new girl in town! its all so exciting and nice to wake up thinking of what a happy life we could have to llok forward to instead of run down by stress of working in a very understaffed NHS ! bye for now Yvonne
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:29 am

That's great. Good luck with the interview. What does your OH do?

Last edited by Babycatcher; Mar 9th 2008 at 10:31 am.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:22 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

Have you been into the nursing forum on here? It might be good if you do a search in there for 'midwifery' and see what comes up...

In fact, I see there's something about midwifery right at the top there:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Good luck. You have the right attitude... nothing to lose if you do it, so I wish you the very best.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome!
Have you considered PR rather than sponsorship?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
That's great. Good luck with the interview. What does your OH do?
hi , my oh is a warehouse operative , we wondering what might be available to him , esp as he ll need to be paart time ????
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Hi & welcome!
Have you considered PR rather than sponsorship?
only thing is we want to beg money off the hospital to relocate us so dont think can do PR yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.