Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Wikiposts

Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hello,

Arrived in Sydney this week and already planning my escape from Chatswood. We're in a serviced apartment here until we find a rental.

It's great for shopping but not really the Sydney I imagined. I can't seem to find any play groups or social activities for myself and my 2 year old and the only playground I've tracked down was graffitied and neglected.

My questions are....

(a) Which residential areas might provide the most social opportunities for a stay-at-home mum and toddler combined with a decent smattering of shops & cafes, plus pleasant outdoor spaces ? I was hoping to cope without a car and will happily use public transport. My husband works in Chatswood but doesn't mind a bit of a drive to work.

Neutral Bay, Cremorne and Mosman sound nice - any opinions ?

(b) Can anyone contradict my complaints about Chatswood in terms of kiddy-friendliness ? Are there play groups and get-togethers that I've missed ? I'm feeling the need for some adult conversation and my son is bored of mummy and the meager collection of toys we flew over.

Thanks & apologies if this topic has been covered already, it's nice to have personal responses !
Hmmmmm do I know you? I think you might be coming to mine next week....I gotta contradict you, it's GREAT for yummy mummies but NOT central Chatswood, maybe a tiny bit further afield.....will get you all friended up by midweek don't worry...why don't you come to my playgroup Monday? e mail me and you can come to mine afterwards or even come Tuesday too?

Plantpot....
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
One of the BE members lives in Roseville, within walking distance of the delights of Chatswood, and I think she's very happy there. She has a 3 year-old and there's a playgroup right on her street, which is lovely and leafy despite being about ten minutes' walk to Chatswood Chase.

Before I worked, Chatswood was my "local" shopping centre. I came from Singapore so feel at home there.

I live in McMahons Point too; it's lovely.

edit: Now I work in Chinatown and feel at home there too LOL

Meeeeee........think I know the OP but can't be certain!!! An ex Dubai-er???
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
Hmmmmm do I know you? I think you might be coming to mine next week....I gotta contradict you, it's GREAT for yummy mummies but NOT central Chatswood, maybe a tiny bit further afield.....will get you all friended up by midweek don't worry...why don't you come to my playgroup Monday? e mail me and you can come to mine afterwards or even come Tuesday too?

Plantpot....
Ha ha, that's really funny Plantpot !

Yes, I'm the ex Dubai-er (and Hong Kong-er and Taiwan-er !)

I'd love to come to your playgroup on Mon. I'll send you an e-mail.

Crystaltipps x
Old Dec 4th 2009, 8:58 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha, that's really funny Plantpot !

Yes, I'm the ex Dubai-er (and Hong Kong-er and Taiwan-er !)

I'd love to come to your playgroup on Mon. I'll send you an e-mail.

Crystaltipps x
*sigh*

Another happy ending bought about by BE.

Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:52 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I was hoping this would happen
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Arrived in Sydney this week and already planning my escape from Chatswood. We're in a serviced apartment here until we find a rental.

It's great for shopping but not really the Sydney I imagined. I can't seem to find any play groups or social activities for myself and my 2 year old and the only playground I've tracked down was graffitied and neglected.

My questions are....

(a) Which residential areas might provide the most social opportunities for a stay-at-home mum and toddler combined with a decent smattering of shops & cafes, plus pleasant outdoor spaces ? I was hoping to cope without a car and will happily use public transport. My husband works in Chatswood but doesn't mind a bit of a drive to work.

Neutral Bay, Cremorne and Mosman sound nice - any opinions ?

(b) Can anyone contradict my complaints about Chatswood in terms of kiddy-friendliness ? Are there play groups and get-togethers that I've missed ? I'm feeling the need for some adult conversation and my son is bored of mummy and the meager collection of toys we flew over.

Thanks & apologies if this topic has been covered already, it's nice to have personal responses !
Hi ya

we stayed in the Sebel in Chatswood for a month before we moved to the gong. You're not here with Leightons are you? My missus loved the mall, and the market/live entertainment on a thursday is great

Had to get out though, the city life aint for me

take it easy
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Lane Cove, parts of St Leonard's, Greenwich, Wollstonecraft, Woolwich North Sydney are nice