Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Wikiposts

Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Hello,

Arrived in Sydney this week and already planning my escape from Chatswood. We're in a serviced apartment here until we find a rental.

It's great for shopping but not really the Sydney I imagined. I can't seem to find any play groups or social activities for myself and my 2 year old and the only playground I've tracked down was graffitied and neglected.

My questions are....

(a) Which residential areas might provide the most social opportunities for a stay-at-home mum and toddler combined with a decent smattering of shops & cafes, plus pleasant outdoor spaces ? I was hoping to cope without a car and will happily use public transport. My husband works in Chatswood but doesn't mind a bit of a drive to work.

Neutral Bay, Cremorne and Mosman sound nice - any opinions ?

(b) Can anyone contradict my complaints about Chatswood in terms of kiddy-friendliness ? Are there play groups and get-togethers that I've missed ? I'm feeling the need for some adult conversation and my son is bored of mummy and the meager collection of toys we flew over.

Thanks & apologies if this topic has been covered already, it's nice to have personal responses !
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:03 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where are all the yummy mummies (Sydney) ?

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hello,

Arrived in Sydney this week and already planning my escape from Chatswood. We're in a serviced apartment here until we find a rental.

It's great for shopping but not really the Sydney I imagined. I can't seem to find any play groups or social activities for myself and my 2 year old and the only playground I've tracked down was graffitied and neglected.

My questions are....

(a) Which residential areas might provide the most social opportunities for a stay-at-home mum and toddler combined with a decent smattering of shops & cafes, plus pleasant outdoor spaces ? I was hoping to cope without a car and will happily use public transport. My husband works in Chatswood but doesn't mind a bit of a drive to work.

(b) Can anyone contradict my complaints about Chatswood in terms of kiddy-friendliness ? Are there play groups and get-togethers that I've missed ? I'm feeling the need for some adult conversation and my son is bored of mummy and the meager collection of toys we flew over.

Thanks & apologies if this topic has been covered already, it's nice to have personal responses !
Hi C.

That area not very anglo in population so it might be that you're having difficulties in establishing links because of that?
I can't tell you much, but welcome and have you checked out other villages on North shore? There are some much smaller ones which have that villagey feel you might be after, such as St Leonards for example... Mosman is gorgeous...
Expensive though in areas.

Chatswood is affectionally known as 'Chatswoo' because of the high Asian population, and I use 'affectionately' lightly as some are very anti-Asian here, but hey, I love going shopping there. And the food's yummy... but it is a massive place and easy to get lost in.
Downsizing to somewhere nice near the beach would be much better and I know there are lots of those things in the places you mention.

It's a huge culture shock isn't it. But it will take you time to settle and get the measure of the place, so don't rush it.... and we're here to support you if you want to chat.
:-)
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Hi C.

That area not very anglo in population so it might be that you're having difficulties in establishing links because of that?
I can't tell you much, but welcome and have you checked out other villages on North shore? There are some much smaller ones which have that villagey feel you might be after, such as St Leonards for example... Mosman is gorgeous...
Expensive though in areas.

Chatswood is affectionally known as 'Chatswoo' because of the high Asian population, and I use 'affectionately' lightly as some are very anti-Asian here, but hey, I love going shopping there. And the food's yummy... but it is a massive place and easy to get lost in.
Downsizing to somewhere nice near the beach would be much better and I know there are lots of those things in the places you mention.

It's a huge culture shock isn't it. But it will take you time to settle and get the measure of the place, so don't rush it.... and we're here to support you if you want to chat.
:-)
Thanks TiddlyPom, that was a really nice reply

On one hand I quite like the 'asian-ness' of Chatswood as I've lived in Hong Kong and Taiwan so it feels familiar ! We chose Oz over another asian destination as we felt it'd be easier to establish ourselves in a community though (same language, western culture etc) so I hope this'll be the case with smaller residential areas.

I'll have a look at St Leonards. I've heard Mosman is expensive, so that might rule it out.

Anyone else got any suggestions ?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:49 pm

Thanks TiddlyPom, that was a really nice reply

On one hand I quite like the 'asian-ness' of Chatswood as I've lived in Hong Kong and Taiwan so it feels familiar ! We chose Oz over another asian destination as we felt it'd be easier to establish ourselves in a community though (same language, western culture etc) so I hope this'll be the case with smaller residential areas.

I'll have a look at St Leonards. I've heard Mosman is expensive, so that might rule it out.

Anyone else got any suggestions ?
I agree, I like the asian -ness too. It's a really interesting demographic there.
St Leonards has a real nice villagey vibe to it, so I like it for that.

Anyone else got anything to add?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My questions are....

Balmain. No question.

I work here and during the day it is full of mothers with babies pushing prams about, sitting having coffee, going to the park etc.

S
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Balmain. No question.

I work here and during the day it is full of mothers with babies pushing prams about, sitting having coffee, going to the park etc.

S
Must drive you nuts.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Must drive you nuts.

Only when they walk three abreast with x3 lots of double buggies!

S
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Dont know about kids, as I dont have any, but the area I am in is lovely, North Sydney/McMahons Point.

It seems quite built up, but as soon as you get off the main road, its really nice and tree lined with a real village feel. We met most of our neighbours the day we moved in, they are a mix of young families, couples and older couples with kids left home. There are also loads of parks, my niece and nephew love coming to play, because there are so many different parks to choose from.

Would also be a good commute to Chatswood, its not too far and you would be travelling the ofther direction to most people. And really convenient to get into the city.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm

Only when they walk three abreast with x3 lots of double buggies!

S
How many double buggies can you fit on a pavement?!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:46 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

My questions are....

We are in Lane Cove, jsut round the corner from you...
It has lots of playgrounds (none of them grafitti'd that I have seen!), lovely centre with a number of coffee shops, library, banks, supermarkets, delis etc and a good villagey feel. There is good public transport into the city (10mins ride from the Pacific Highway/freeway bus stop) and Chatswood, there are plenty of child orientated things around although we have never really followed them up...
It is also a lot more affordable than Mosman etc which you will pay a huge premium for, and will then have to cope with the delights of Military Road in peak hour
Hope you find somewhere you like
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:37 pm
has lost The Game

How many double buggies can you fit on a pavement?!!!

I should ask Norris McWhirter to come over and check - the mums here are constantly trying to push the record!

S
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:40 pm

I should ask Norris McWhirter to come over and check - the mums here are constantly trying to push the record!

S
I was thinking you were going to say 'Five -two in the front, two in the back and one in the ashtray' sort of thing...

Do keep up.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:09 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

One of the BE members lives in Roseville, within walking distance of the delights of Chatswood, and I think she's very happy there. She has a 3 year-old and there's a playgroup right on her street, which is lovely and leafy despite being about ten minutes' walk to Chatswood Chase.

Before I worked, Chatswood was my "local" shopping centre. I came from Singapore so feel at home there.

I live in McMahons Point too; it's lovely.

edit: Now I work in Chinatown and feel at home there too LOL
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'll have no time for playgroups anyway, with all these districts to check out !

We're only looking to spend $750 pw max on a 3 bedroom house or apartment so I think the budget will dictate the location in the end.

Cx
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:45 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to suggest LC myself.

The other options are going north along the train line. The further north the cheaper it gets.

I am moving further north myself.
Originally Posted by stevemich
We are in Lane Cove, jsut round the corner from you...
It has lots of playgrounds (none of them grafitti'd that I have seen!), lovely centre with a number of coffee shops, library, banks, supermarkets, delis etc and a good villagey feel. There is good public transport into the city (10mins ride from the Pacific Highway/freeway bus stop) and Chatswood, there are plenty of child orientated things around although we have never really followed them up...
It is also a lot more affordable than Mosman etc which you will pay a huge premium for, and will then have to cope with the delights of Military Road in peak hour
Hope you find somewhere you like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.