Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

when to tell my employer

when to tell my employer

Old Nov 24th 2009, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when to tell my employer

I am sure someone must ahve posted this question somewhere but I can't find one so here goes.

We got our visa granted under my OH occupation and I have kept the whole process to myself and not told work. Now I don't know when to tell them, as we are not going till probably June-August 2010. If I hand my notice in a mnth before we gothen they are going to know that I have known for a long time and I will feel really guilty and they may give me a bad reference to take to Oz with me (I'm a nurse). I am also very excited and want to tell everyone but can't. Can they sack me if I tell them I plan to leave in 6-9 months? I have been there 5 months and need to stay to save for Oz?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to tell my employer

Originally Posted by Kayelem
I am sure someone must ahve posted this question somewhere but I can't find one so here goes.

We got our visa granted under my OH occupation and I have kept the whole process to myself and not told work. Now I don't know when to tell them, as we are not going till probably June-August 2010. If I hand my notice in a mnth before we gothen they are going to know that I have known for a long time and I will feel really guilty and they may give me a bad reference to take to Oz with me (I'm a nurse). I am also very excited and want to tell everyone but can't. Can they sack me if I tell them I plan to leave in 6-9 months? I have been there 5 months and need to stay to save for Oz?
Hi

As you haven't been there that long I would keep quiet for a bit longer if you can. It would be helpful to give them more than the standard notice but you don't have to. I guess it depends on your relationship with your boss and the person who will give the reference. Maybe give 2-3 months notice when your plans are more fixed, saying that until then you were not certain for sure if and when you were actually going.

As you have been there for less than a year they might just "let you go" if they have someone else now to replace you.

Last edited by rammygirl; Nov 24th 2009 at 5:38 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite fortunate in the respect that when I started the process this time last year, I told my employer (Primary School - I'm a teacher) and they've been very supportive along the way. Unlike yourself I've been in my current school for over 5 years so it's slightly different, in saying that, I'd ask someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau (if ur in the UK) where you stand. In this day in age I would really doubt your employer could just 'let you go', so try to find out where you stand, and then you can tell them all and let them share in your excitement! I still haven't told my class and am bursting to, but unfortunately my boss wants me to wait til just before the Christmas Holidays. I leave work on the 22nd January and it just can't come quickly enough! Roll on February 2010 til we start our new life, DOWN UNDER!

Keep us posted on what decision you make, and most importantly, GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'm quite fortunate in the respect that when I started the process this time last year, I told my employer (Primary School - I'm a teacher) and they've been very supportive along the way. Unlike yourself I've been in my current school for over 5 years so it's slightly different, in saying that, I'd ask someone like the Citizens Advice Bureau (if ur in the UK) where you stand. In this day in age I would really doubt your employer could just 'let you go', so try to find out where you stand, and then you can tell them all and let them share in your excitement! I still haven't told my class and am bursting to, but unfortunately my boss wants me to wait til just before the Christmas Holidays. I leave work on the 22nd January and it just can't come quickly enough! Roll on February 2010 til we start our new life, DOWN UNDER!

Keep us posted on what decision you make, and most importantly, GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the advice guys I think I will wait till new year and then tell them just so they don't give me all the christmas shifts!! My son's teacher moved to OZ a year ago and the kids in her class were soo excited for her, all made her cards with kangaroos and koala bears on!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:50 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I would just give them the usual notice and say you never mentioned it before as it wasn't certain and you didn't want people to keep asking when you wouldn't know the answer

Have you got all your registration docs? if not contact the NMC now as they can take ages
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the above post. You are contracted to give them 4 weeks so do just that.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asher
I would just give them the usual notice and say you never mentioned it before as it wasn't certain and you didn't want people to keep asking when you wouldn't know the answer

Have you got all your registration docs? if not contact the NMC now as they can take ages
No I haven't. What docs do I need/ As we got the visa on OH occupation I hadn't thought about it yet. I won't have 12 months experience until end of Jan. When can I register to nursing board to work in Perth?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:21 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice guys I think I will wait till new year and then tell them just so they don't give me all the christmas shifts!! My son's teacher moved to OZ a year ago and the kids in her class were soo excited for her, all made her cards with kangaroos and koala bears on!
Awwww cool...a friends Mother-in-law recently brought me back (as requested) some koala keyrings and Australian animal pencils, so I'm definitely telling them that I'm going at Christmas when I give them their gifts! I'll only be in school for 3 weeks after Christmas anyhow, so it's not like I'm telling them too soon!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:22 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

No I haven't. What docs do I need/ As we got the visa on OH occupation I hadn't thought about it yet. I won't have 12 months experience until end of Jan. When can I register to nursing board to work in Perth?
Hi - well done on OH visa.
Are you NHS employed?? cos if you are I would keep zipped about Oz for now - I have worked for NHS for 20 odd years, and I have never seen the level of redundancy/job threats so worrying - give them the minimum notice and at least you'll have the dosh for the Big move - not worth the gamble of relishing your excitement do it on here instead

As for WA I believe that 12 months practice is needed for all nursing boards! I notice that you list IELTS - was that you or OH as all nurses need IELTS since July 09?? Loads of luck to you
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:57 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I told my employer after I had the Visa. it all went to crap, I had been there 12 years. I then took another job and didn't tell them I was ofski in a year.

When the house sold I gave a months notice, I told them my plans, they were great about it, they loved my ambition and were all envious.

The moral of the story.

Keep your mouth shut until you a more or less ready to go. Then tell them your plans, explain why you kept it quiet, Tell a white lie, say it was a dream of yours and you only just found out you got accepted into Australia, therefore didn't want to jeapordize your employment opportunities in case nothing came of it.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:18 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

They have phones on most airlines/aircraft these days you know?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:24 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

you just need to ask the NMC to post proof of registration to your chosen board and of course you have to pay so dont do it too soon a month or two before you fly in case there is problems look on the board website to see what they want
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Can they sack me if I tell them I plan to leave in 6-9 months? I have been there 5 months and need to stay to save for Oz?
Yes, they can sack you! If you've been in the job less than 12 month, any employer can sack you without needing a reason.

Give them your one-month notice and if they ask why you didn't tell them about your plans give the reason Asher wrote in her previous post.

As you are such a junior nurse, they will have no problem replacing you.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

annep will become famous soon enoughannep will become famous soon enough

Hi
If you are planning to work as soon as you get to Oz you need to be registered first with both the state and ANC.
For this you need IELTS and all details of work experience, times etc and a letter signed by your employer, so it may be tricky if you need this doing prior to leaving.
I'm in the process of doing the same for Victoria and it's cheaper if you do the state registration first, you then apply for the moderated assessment from ANC.
I'm not sure but if you have a permanent contract both sides would have to give a min of four weeks notice. Your employers couldn't sack you without reason and they have to make the position not the person redundant. Are you in a union ? you could ask them for advice.
Failing all that, if they let you go in Jan after your 12 mths experience, you could always work for an agency, the hours and times would count towards your experience and you'd probably get more money for your move !
I've just found a site where you register your details and they get in touch with you straight away (nurses.co.uk) They even have agencies for australia, and they can help with registration !
Good luck
Anne
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I told my employer after I had the Visa. it all went to crap, I had been there 12 years. I then took another job and didn't tell them I was ofski in a year.

When the house sold I gave a months notice, I told them my plans, they were great about it, they loved my ambition and were all envious.

The moral of the story.

Keep your mouth shut until you a more or less ready to go. Then tell them your plans, explain why you kept it quiet, Tell a white lie, say it was a dream of yours and you only just found out you got accepted into Australia, therefore didn't want to jeapordize your employment opportunities in case nothing came of it.
I'll be keeping my mouth shut until much closer to the time to leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.