British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   When squished boobs is a good thing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/when-squished-boobs-good-thing-840450/)

spouse of scouse Aug 7th 2014 3:46 pm

When squished boobs is a good thing

Breast self-examination and mammograms. Some of us keep do this a matter of course and keep track of when we're due a mammogram, others get around to it when they can, some of us don't think about it at all.

Did you know that women over 50 receive free mammograms? There are over 500 locations, all the info is here Screening - How do I arrange a mammogram?

I'm afraid that I was in the 'don't even think about it' group. Thankfully, my sister isn't. She had her usual 2 yearly mammogram 9 months ago, and all was well.

3 weeks ago, she felt a lump in her breast. Mammogram, biopsy - she has breast cancer. She had surgery yesterday, a lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy to see if the cancer had spread. Anyone who's ever waited in a hospital for the outcome of something like this will know exactly how she, and we, felt.

My 2 other sisters and I were waiting in the lounge area of her ward when they wheeled her back after theatre. She was propped up on the bed, with a big grin on her face and two thumbs up, saying 'no lymph node involvement!'.
At which, of course, we all collapsed into tears, but happy ones :lol:

If my sister wasn't so conscientious about self-examination, it might have been another 15 months before that lump was detected, and the outcome may have been very different. If she was in the 'don't even think about it' group - well..

Self-examination and mammograms, girls. Men can get breast cancer too, although it's much less common. But men should have a feel of their bits and pieces regularly too - testicular cancer isn't something to be blasé about.

Stay as healthy as you can everyone - we all have people who love us and don't want to lose us :heart:

Hebe Aug 7th 2014 8:11 pm

Re: When squished boobs is a good thing

Best of luck to your sister and a speedy recovery.

In NZ they start screening at 40. Had mine done recently and all clear. I think people take their health for granted. I get regular check ups to see how I'm tracking. Yearly bloods, 3 yearly heart checks (have a family history of heart disease and I have a heart murmur and some other issues) I'm not afraid to go to the doctor if feeling out of sorts. Better be safe than sorry.

I also know I'm not going to last forever and may suddenly keel over one day but if I can nip something in the bud before it's a big issue then I will.

irishbloo Aug 7th 2014 10:25 pm

I am other 50,(just) and get a free one every year as we have history.I am very grateful for the service as I know how important it is.For a few minutes of uncomfortableness it is worth it.:thumbsup:

Jon77 Aug 7th 2014 10:53 pm

Yep, been there with my mum. She did the regular screening thing and found out she had breast cancer before she even found a lump, managed to catch it really early, which always makes a big difference.

I know both my older sisters and aunts are on top of this, as is my wife. Women do seem much more organised regarding this kind of thing and there are always things in the press.

Now my grandad on the other hand took the male 'it'll be right / its nowt to worry about attitude'.

He ignored symptoms for far too long and wouldn't go to the docs. He had an aggressive form of prostate cancer, it spread and was dead within 6 months of being diagnosed but according to the docs probably had cancer for at least 2 years and it could / should haven been so different for him. Prostate cancer is a bugger though because sometime it isn't aggressive and men can die of other causes before that gets them, and in some it can become an issue all of a sudden.

I will be getting my prostate checked every year from 40 onwards.

moneypenny20 Aug 8th 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jon77 (Post 11361969)
Yep, been there with my mum. She did the regular screening thing and found out she had breast cancer before she even found a lump, managed to catch it really early, which always makes a big difference.

I know both my older sisters and aunts are on top of this, as is my wife. Women do seem much more organised regarding this kind of thing and there are always things in the press.

Now my grandad on the other hand took the male 'it'll be right / its nowt to worry about attitude'.

He ignored symptoms for far too long and wouldn't go to the docs. He had an aggressive form of prostate cancer, it spread and was dead within 6 months of being diagnosed but according to the docs probably had cancer for at least 2 years and it could / should haven been so different for him. Prostate cancer is a bugger though because sometime it isn't aggressive and men can die of other causes before that gets them, and in some it can become an issue all of a sudden.

I will be getting my prostate checked every year from 40 onwards.

Father in Law was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer a couple of years ago, responded really well with treatment. Well until about four months ago when he started going downhill again. The MiL called tonight for the husband to fly over asap as they didn't think he'd last more than a couple of nights. Cancer is a bastard and getting checked, however embarrassing it may appear to be has to be one the most important things anyone can do.

Good news about your sister Spouse :thumbup:

gobbyjock Aug 11th 2014 3:35 am

In WA you can get a free mammogram every 2 years once you hit 40 but you should always self examine regularly. Doing so saved my life,it's been a long year but only 3 weeks of radiation to go and treatment is finished ( other than 10 tears on tamoxifen). I feel like I'm standing at the top if a mountain looking back and wondering how the hell I managed to get to the top, hope your sister has a speedy recovery x

northernbird Aug 11th 2014 4:32 am

I didn't know that C, I thought it was 50. I shall book in for a boob squishing session. I do self examine but things can be missed. If only I could psych myself up for a smear test, that's the next step :eek:

moneypenny20 Aug 11th 2014 6:07 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 11364895)
I didn't know that C, I thought it was 50. I shall book in for a boob squishing session. I do self examine but things can be missed. If only I could psych myself up for a smear test, that's the next step :eek:

I struggle more with the squished boobs than I do with the smear. Maybe I'm just a slut at heart. :lol:

spouse of scouse Aug 11th 2014 11:07 am

Originally Posted by gobbyjock (Post 11364875)
In WA you can get a free mammogram every 2 years once you hit 40 but you should always self examine regularly. Doing so saved my life,it's been a long year but only 3 weeks of radiation to go and treatment is finished ( other than 10 tears on tamoxifen). I feel like I'm standing at the top if a mountain looking back and wondering how the hell I managed to get to the top, hope your sister has a speedy recovery x

Gobbyjock, I hope that your 'annus horribilus' is the very last one you have, ever! Thank God you self-examined regularly, it's so crucial to the outcome isn't it? I've learned a lot about breast cancer since my sister's diagnosis - so much I didn't know, such as there are different sorts of primary breast cancers.

I'm so glad for you that you're at the end of all that horrible treatment. Thanks to you, and everyone else who's posted, for sharing your experiences and helping to remind people how vital early detection is. If it's jogged just one person's memory, then we've all done veeery well xx

irishbloo Aug 11th 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11364946)
I struggle more with the squished boobs than I do with the smear. Maybe I'm just a slut at heart. :lol:

I'm the opposite.I hate going for the pap test but once I have been it never seems as bad.Better to be safe than sorry.:fingerscrossed:

spouse of scouse Aug 11th 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 11365231)
I'm the opposite.I hate going for the pap test but once I have been it never seems as bad.Better to be safe than sorry.:fingerscrossed:

My Mum always went to female doctors for her pap smears, I used to think that was a bit old fashioned. Until the day I had one performed by a doddery (he was doddery), older male doctor - stuck the speculum thingy in, muttered something about something he'd forgotten, and absentmindedly wandered off to attend to whatever it was he'd forgotten, leaving me like that!! Now I could well be wrong, but I can't imagine a woman doing that, so it's an all-girl affair for me now :lol:

moneypenny20 Aug 11th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11365251)
My Mum always went to female doctors for her pap smears, I used to think that was a bit old fashioned. Until the day I had one performed by a doddery (he was doddery), older male doctor - stuck the speculum thingy in, muttered something about something he'd forgotten, and absentmindedly wandered off to attend to whatever it was he'd forgotten, leaving me like that!! Now I could well be wrong, but I can't imagine a woman doing that, so it's an all-girl affair for me now :lol:

The mother was a Family Planning Nurse and a GPs nurse for years so most nurses around knew her well. I was on the table, legs spread, speculum inserted, nurse head down doing her thing and chatting as they do. She then said 'not seen ***** (mother) for a while, how is she? I replied 'Well she's not up there and can we not discuss her at the moment please?' She thought it really funny. I was slightly pissed off. :lol:

spouse of scouse Aug 11th 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11365283)
The mother was a Family Planning Nurse and a GPs nurse for years so most nurses around knew her well. I was on the table, legs spread, speculum inserted, nurse head down doing her thing and chatting as they do. She then said 'not seen ***** (mother) for a while, how is she? I replied 'Well she's not up there and can we not discuss her at the moment please?' She thought it really funny. I was slightly pissed off. :lol:

:lol: Yes, there are better places for social chat. Mega reply you gave her - I can only think of clever comebacks like that long after the event.

gobbyjock Aug 12th 2014 3:44 am

Lol! Penny I worked on the pay desk at a military hospital and went in to get sterilised, I'm on the operating table and the anaesthetist starts asking me about his pay query!

Dorothy Aug 12th 2014 4:04 am

In the delivery room when my son was born the obstetrician said "Ok, big push now Mrs M.........". I remember looking up and saying back "Considering your face is between my legs you can probably call me by my first name". :lol: