Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WHEN is somebody going to...

Wikiposts

WHEN is somebody going to...

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:50 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default WHEN is somebody going to...

Start up a successful band and make it into the Australian charts so that they can play a different bloody tune on the radio other than pink or avril lavine or the other 12 (im being generous there!!) songs that are played daily on every single station. I totally love it here but christ the radio is doing me ead in we have to resort to listening to good old Vern via the tinternet

Nev
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:05 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHEN is somebody going to...

Originally Posted by redlion
Start up a successful band and make it into the Australian charts so that they can play a different bloody tune on the radio other than pink or avril lavine or the other 12 (im being generous there!!) songs that are played daily on every single station. I totally love it here but christ the radio is doing me ead in we have to resort to listening to good old Vern via the tinternet

Nev
PMSL

you are so right Nev

I listen to Invicta FM from back home as its better then here!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I flick through the channels all the time, in hope of getting some decent and different songs.
Each year they seem to play a couple of the same songs over and over.

Where's that thread gone about crap DJ's
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:09 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam
PMSL

you are so right Nev

I listen to Invicta FM from back home as its better then here!
Sad to say I occasionally advertise Invicta FM here ... when I'm wearing my Gillingham shirt in a 'Brit Abroad' stylee

Actually met another fan in the local Library ... strange world ...

If I've got the radio on then I'm either listening to 612 ABC for the sport or Triple M for some music ... most of the time I'm playing something else on a CD or MP3.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I left for 6 weeks only to find the SAME old songs being played again and again and again! ...

Normally stick to Wham Cd's in the car, can't go wrong there! ...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:17 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I flick through the channels all the time, in hope of getting some decent and different songs.
Each year they seem to play a couple of the same songs over and over.

Where's that thread gone about crap DJ's
I thought i would wait a while until i wrote this thread to give them a chance to change the tunes but it just didnt happen, the station i was listening to this morning played avril lavine THREE!!! times in an hour and a half:curse: its not even that i dont like her or pink but how many times can you play the same songs???? its funny one station does a thing they call the 'no repeat show' that is correct, they dont repeat any songs during that show, they just play the same ones the next day and the day after etc etc bla bla. i love listening to music whilst i work but bloody hell get some variety in

Nev

Ok rant over, im having a nice vodka and coke with a splash of limecello in, yum yum, nice and calming
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:38 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree - the radio here is CRAP!. I often listen to Nova and they have the cheek to say they're the home of new music or something!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hear it for the Internet
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:43 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlion

Nev
Nev ,

How trues that, echoing comments i have myself made in the past.

If an Aussie Dj came to do a gig for us, Im sure he could bring everything on a 16 kb ipod !!! lol
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:57 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Nev ,

How trues that, echoing comments i have myself made in the past.

If an Aussie Dj came to do a gig for us, Im sure he could bring everything on a 16 kb ipod !!! lol
Why is that? Are they just lazy and spoon fed by the big record labels Timber? Do they never listen to music from overseas or look at playlists from other countries?

I used to listen to a lot of new stuff on the radio in the UK and it just seemed there was a new track out every week - here, you're lucky if you get a new song a month.

Also, I remember checking the Nova playlists a while back and saw that the Spice Girls new track was on it. I then read an article a little later which stated the record had bombed here as no one bought it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no Spice girls fan but I listen to the radio most of the day Monday to Friday and I never heard that track played - not even once!! It's no wonder it bombed if no one was getting a chance to hear it!! And surely withtheir limited playlists they'd be glad of something extra to play!!!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:05 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

We download the podcasts from Radio one and listen to them over a few weeks.
It's great to hear some stuff Chris Moyles etc.

I do miss Jo Wiley's a.m show tho!

*pearly*
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Radio here's exactly the same as the UK .... minus (and god only knows it's a biiiiiiiig minus) the BBC. I never listened to commercial radio in the UK for the same reason I don't listen to it here - adverts and shite music. Triple J is the least worst station, but they suffer from 10-song-itis and an obsession with piss-poor rock music. My MP3 player gets a hell of a lot of use ...
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

uh huh !

Aussie music sucks, and aussie radio play sucks bigtime.

Im sick of hearing, Girls on Film, and Dire Straits.

I prefer logging in to online radio, and listening to Chicago Trance Radio.

Brill stuff
We started a online radio station thing, cos of this very reason. Wife hates aussie rock music.

So everytime she listened to the radio, she would scream GET F****D and change channel.

Hence we started www.getfqd.com ( only a hobby site )

My fave is http://getfqd.com/music/dance/dj.php Chicago Fusion
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb

*pearly*
Just record 'em off t'internet. I use Total Recorder to turn Radio 1 shows into MP3s to listen to in the car. You can schedule recordings for those shows that happen during the night here. There's a small how-to, here. Can't say I'd ever sully my PC with anything Chris Moyles said though ...
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:25 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb

*pearly*
That's what I'll be doing once i'm in Australia.
I'm not much of a tv person but I love Radio 1
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

I guess it depends on what music you like, and what radio stations you listen to.

PBS in Melbourne is great, well worth a listen if you live local.

JJJ tends to play some decent stuff, RRR too.

My friends band from the UK recently finished a tour over here and was very successful, their called Art Brut, and might be worth checking out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.