Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When to put the house on the market?

Wikiposts

When to put the house on the market?

Old May 15th 2006, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

lorraine111 will become famous soon enoughlorraine111 will become famous soon enough
Red face When to put the house on the market?

hi
how on earth do you decide when to put the house on the market?
we are in a situation where our daughter and her family live with us as they have applied for visas as well. they have just got theirs but ours have only been lodged just over a month. I don't want to leave it all to the last minute but looking at the possible time scale if the number has not been reached this year. we may hear back about december with a co then hopefully get the visa by march time. this is of course all fingers and toes crossed. so really not sure what i should be doing at this stage as well as worrying constantly and checking my emails all the time. I have even sent an email off telling them that my daughter as now got her visa but will be waiting as we are all going together, i thought you never know it might have some small bearing on our visa, we clutch at anything don't we?
well any advice really would be good as i feel now i should be doing something constructive.
lorraine
Old May 15th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to put the house on the market?

Put your house on the market as soon as you can - then at least you can see if there are lots of buyers out there. You don't have to accept any offers if you aren't ready to sell yet.

Originally Posted by lorraine111
hi
we are in a situation where our daughter and her family live with us as they have applied for visas as well. they have just got theirs but ours have only been lodged just over a month. I don't want to leave it all to the last minute but looking at the possible time scale if the number has not been reached this year. we may hear back about december with a co then hopefully get the visa by march time. this is of course all fingers and toes crossed. so really not sure what i should be doing at this stage as well as worrying constantly and checking my emails all the time. I have even sent an email off telling them that my daughter as now got her visa but will be waiting as we are all going together, i thought you never know it might have some small bearing on our visa, we clutch at anything don't we?
well any advice really would be good as i feel now i should be doing something constructive.
lorraine
Old May 15th 2006, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

budababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura about

hi
lorraine
Hi Lorraine, we are virtually in the same boat having lodged our visa in Oct 05 and still waiting for a CO - getting quite restless as you can imagine and want to get the house on the market but can't decide how soon. Realise your situation is a bit different but depends I guess in the location of your house and current sales etc - we live in a cottage in Devon and have been told we shouldn't have too much trouble selling but WHEN???? and even then I don't want to count our chickens as there are still many we have seen around that are sticking and have been on the market for ages - we are stalling at the moment and will probably go on the market end of May as don't want to "miss the boat" and have to wait another year to sell!! uggh!!This waiting game is a nightmare isn't it? Linda
Old May 15th 2006, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

lorraine111 will become famous soon enoughlorraine111 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: When to put the house on the market?

hi
thanks for replying. i know i should do it but i hate the thought of doing things to much in advance but reading some of the postings i guess it is better to have a sale than be stuck waiting to sell isn't it?
Old May 15th 2006, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

budababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura about

hi
thanks for replying. i know i should do it but i hate the thought of doing things to much in advance but reading some of the postings i guess it is better to have a sale than be stuck waiting to sell isn't it?
Same here!!! Aren't we sad people - seem to spend my life on pc watching and waiting!!! Drives my other half mad - says to be patient and it will happen!! First thing in the a.m. and last thing night and any time in between - just checking!!! Linda
Old May 15th 2006, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: When to put the house on the market?

hi budababes
it is a nightmare all these decisions isn't it? our daughters visa came through sooooo quickly really that it as caught me on the hop with my time scale i originally thought leave it until our son and family had visited us in june and then in july put it on the market and see if any interest etc. Then when their visa was granted last week i thought wow what if by some miracle ours is quick as well. But then everything is a guessing game on the time scale so i think i should chill out as our son says and just go with my original plan. i am not normally this indecisive honest. ha ha
lorraine
Old May 15th 2006, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a friend of mine who is an estate agents secretary and she said that the market is extremely slow at the minute, and that it was actually busier over Christmas than it is at the minute.
Old May 15th 2006, 7:32 pm
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

hi
I'd put it up now. You could always rent if necessary. We thought the hard part would be getting the visas. We've got them, but now can't shift the house. Wish we'd put it on the market sooner. Good Luck.
Old May 15th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

We sold and completed before we even had a visa. We're now renting a furnished house so were able to ship early so our stuff will be there when we need it. Cash is all in the bank which has been useful to pay for flights etc.

Risky, but it paid off for us !
Old May 15th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

My wife has been in Adelaide with my daughter for over 4 weeks now.

We managed to get a RSMS visa, which is an employer sponsorship.

She had to leave straight away to start her employment

Im missing them both very much, as I have to stay here to sell our house.

As other posts have said put it on the market as soon as you can, if you get an offer you don't have to accept it...............wish we had done it !!!!
Old May 16th 2006, 12:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Our application (136 MODL) is one of the early February ones, so we should hear pretty soon, I hope. Our house actually goes on the market today :scared: . If we sell before we have a visa, then we will just have to rent something for a little while. Even if the visa comes first, we will still have to rent for at least a couple of weeks as we need the money from the house sale to go over!!
Now my biggest worry is "what if we sell the house and for some reason we don't get a visa?"
Old May 16th 2006, 2:48 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohippy
We sold and completed before we even had a visa. We're now renting a furnished house so were able to ship early so our stuff will be there when we need it. Cash is all in the bank which has been useful to pay for flights etc.

Risky, but it paid off for us !
As someone in the opposite situation - have visa but haven't completed a house sale yet (we're on our third ) I think what ohippy has done is the best way to do it. At worst if the visa is refused you'll rent for a while and then buy again here - but it's better than being in limbo land waiting to sell and possibly accepting a much lower offer because of time pressure.

Martyn
Old May 16th 2006, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin
As someone in the opposite situation - have visa but haven't completed a house sale yet (we're on our third ) I think what ohippy has done is the best way to do it. At worst if the visa is refused you'll rent for a while and then buy again here - but it's better than being in limbo land waiting to sell and possibly accepting a much lower offer because of time pressure.

Martyn
I agree with that.

If you have no concerns with your application, then get it on the market sooner rather than later.
Old May 16th 2006, 3:03 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Put your house on the market as soon as you can - then at least you can see if there are lots of buyers out there. You don't have to accept any offers if you aren't ready to sell yet.
Yes, I agree!

We lodged our visa application in November, and looking back, I wish we'd put it on the market then, as now that the visa is granted we are stuck here, unable to go, with no interest in the house (been for sale since Feb)

As Luma has said, you don't have to accept any offers made
Old May 16th 2006, 11:44 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

[
Hi
We are in the same boat, waiting..........
We have put our house up for sale privately for four or five weeks to see what interest we get. If we do sell, then it's more money in our pocket for when we get there.
I'm a big believer in everything happens for a reason. If we do sell and we get our visa's, then we will rent till Jan, when we are intending to go.
If we don't get our visa and have sold........ well then, yeh I'll be really p..... off !!!!!!!!!!!!!
No really, I don't think there is a right answer.
We have had one viewing in three weeks so far, who has gota a house to sell and two other people have rang up making a general enquiry. So there must be something going on?
The funny thing is, about another 4-5 people have driven past and wrote the number down and not rung?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.