Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

when do you say goodbye?

when do you say goodbye?

Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future
Default when do you say goodbye?

Hello wise folk! we have four weeks to go. container just gone doing a lot of running around and had scheduled saying good bye to people in our last week!
I am finding people are starting to say good bye already!!! this was not in our plan at t-4 weeks.
people saying great things how much they will miss us etc etc and finding it hard not to get a tad emotional very difficult whilst chairing meetings!! attempting to be manly and British about it all though!
So how do you stop them? dont have time for emotion yet as too busy!!
(and to be truthful have not acknowledged the huge leaving people behind bit as been soo preoccupied with the getting there bit!!)
so any advice comments would gladly invite any comments to keep me occupied with the computer all morning and not sort our the cellar!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when do you say goodbye?

I had a night out at the pub with my mates, another one for my family and another one for my OH's family

Then my MIL, FIL, brother and son all came to the airport with us.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

simon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant futuresimon2cairns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
I had a night out at the pub with my mates, another one for my family and another one for my OH's family

Then my MIL, FIL, brother and son all came to the airport with us.
our flight leaves at 6am so we plan to get a taxi!
my brother is in tassy and my parents are applying for there PR visa now
we plan to have a big "jason and Kylie" BBQ the weekend before we go and just get drunk!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon2cairns
our flight leaves at 6am so we plan to get a taxi!
my brother is in tassy and my parents are applying for there PR visa now
we plan to have a big "jason and Kylie" BBQ the weekend before we go and just get drunk!!!

Ours left at 7:30am but my MIL wouldn't take 'you don't need to come' as an answer so came anyway. We caught a taxi too! she followed us in her car

BBQ sounds like a good idea - have a good time
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ours left at 7:30am but my MIL wouldn't take 'you don't need to come' as an answer so came anyway. We caught a taxi too! she followed us in her car

BBQ sounds like a good idea - have a good time
ys you can make your own plans but people have their own way of changing them!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:38 am
Just Joined

zoe_email_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello wise folk! we have four weeks to go. container just gone doing a lot of running around and had scheduled saying good bye to people in our last week!
I am finding people are starting to say good bye already!!! this was not in our plan at t-4 weeks.
people saying great things how much they will miss us etc etc and finding it hard not to get a tad emotional very difficult whilst chairing meetings!! attempting to be manly and British about it all though!
So how do you stop them? dont have time for emotion yet as too busy!!
(and to be truthful have not acknowledged the huge leaving people behind bit as been soo preoccupied with the getting there bit!!)
so any advice comments would gladly invite any comments to keep me occupied with the computer all morning and not sort our the cellar!!
Having the same problem with goodbyes, but we have less than two weeks before we leave!!!had a night out, few drinks no tears!left work had tears, so we are now on baby steps lots of little goodbyes....but sure its going to get more difficult...just keep think that at end of day it will all be worth it when we arrive in Townsville Queensland...
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not into big goodbyes so did not have a leaving do or anything. Just said goodbye to people the last time I saw them. Our flight left early in the morning so we said our main goodbyes on the night before we left, nobody came to the airport which was good, so our adventure started the minute we locked the door behind us
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zoe_email_uk
Having the same problem with goodbyes, but we have less than two weeks before we leave!!!had a night out, few drinks no tears!left work had tears, so we are now on baby steps lots of little goodbyes....but sure its going to get more difficult...just keep think that at end of day it will all be worth it when we arrive in Townsville Queensland...
townsville not far from cairns!!
Tears are a strange thing! as a nurse I have always done the more emotionaly charged nursing, and dealth with great truama and distress without breaking down. Someone says something daft now I have to fight them back!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

It's wierd, I find myself saying bye to people everytime I leave them, just incase I don't see them again lol.

I'm not having a get together or anything, just having some drinks with a few friends at the weekend, and I'll see family before I go.

Didn't think I'd be anywhere near as upset as I know I'm going to be though. Lots of people I don't speak to that often have been making an effort to speak to me before I go, which is really nice of them, but makes me realise just how many friends I'm leaving!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xzibit
It's wierd, I find myself saying bye to people everytime I leave them, just incase I don't see them again lol.

I'm not having a get together or anything, just having some drinks with a few friends at the weekend, and I'll see family before I go.

Didn't think I'd be anywhere near as upset as I know I'm going to be though. Lots of people I don't speak to that often have been making an effort to speak to me before I go, which is really nice of them, but makes me realise just how many friends I'm leaving!!
yes you also dont realise how much people like having you around!! some of our close friends have distanced themselves a bit and others are always in contact. the OH parents are 78 and getting a bit stressed about it all. If we could we would ship them all out!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

townsville not far from cairns!!
Tears are a strange thing! as a nurse I have always done the more emotionaly charged nursing, and dealth with great truama and distress without breaking down. Someone says something daft now I have to fight them back!!
Townsville not far from cairns, have a friend also a nurse who moved out to Cairns about two years ago and her family have all settled well. As a childrens nurse myself i have always managed to hold back from breaking down as well, although must confess have gone home on the odd occasion and had a cry.....but at the moment its like someone turned on a tap, i can cry at anything....kids cartoons,christmas cards, and nothing at all!!!!they just start falling!!!!!think its worse at moment because its christmas and we are leaving before the new year...arrive in Townsville on New Years eve, so new country, new job, new life!!!!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Townsville not far from cairns, have a friend also a nurse who moved out to Cairns about two years ago and her family have all settled well. As a childrens nurse myself i have always managed to hold back from breaking down as well, although must confess have gone home on the odd occasion and had a cry.....but at the moment its like someone turned on a tap, i can cry at anything....kids cartoons,christmas cards, and nothing at all!!!!they just start falling!!!!!think its worse at moment because its christmas and we are leaving before the new year...arrive in Townsville on New Years eve, so new country, new job, new life!!!!!!
There's an idea why don't we just ship everyone out with us!!problem solved no more tears and no more goodbyes!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Didn't tell people exactly when we were flying, had a big party 3 days before we flew but everyone thought it was about 2 weeks before so thought they would see us again before we left so no tears, everyone just got drunk! Text everyone at the airport saying sorry but didn't want to do all the goodbye's and didn't want anyone at the airport. Nobody was offended and completely understood!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

There's an idea why don't we just ship everyone out with us!!problem solved no more tears and no more goodbyes!
are you nursing out there??
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

are you nursing out there??
yes will be nursing children whilst in Townsville

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.