Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's your idea then??

Wikiposts

What's your idea then??

Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:10 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your idea then??

Originally Posted by renth
They'd be going cap in hand to the EU, so England would still be partially subsidising them.
An independent Scotland would be in the same basket-case league as Greece, Portugal, Spain etc.

They would become part of the PIGSS.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, why not buy a load of shares in Origin, that way your dividend is subsidizing your bill. Sounds like a good hedging strategy, what do you reckon?
I morally couldn't do it. It would be like owning shares in a crack house when the people who need it just pay whatever the going rate is and go away with a whimper.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
And make them pay a toll to come into England. Why not - the Welsh started with the Severn Bridge.

Actually, visas for them would be an earner too. A visa on entry system of 20 quid.

Means test benefits as well and include the value of your satellite dish system, cigarettes that you smoke per annum, burberry collection, staffy pup farming cash income, and of course the value of your car stereo system, wheels and fat exhaust.
Are you standing for election on Saturday? I'd vote for you.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

How about ditching all the money spent on converting official documents into multiple languages... including Welsh.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Aug 18th 2010 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How about ditching all the money spent on converting official documents into multiple languages... including Welsh.
Is Welsh anyones first language? I know it's their heritage and stuff but are there people in Wales who can only talk Welsh and not any English? If not then no documents shouldn't be translated just because they 'like' talking that language.

Last edited by LouiseR; Aug 18th 2010 at 1:30 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Is Welsh anyones first language? I know it's their heritage and stuff but are their people in Wales who can only talk Welsh and not any English? If not then no documents shouldn't be translated just because they 'like' talking that language.
We have friends who live in Pennal, a tiny little place near the coast in West Wales. They speak fluent Welsh and speak it the bulk of the time in their everyday business.... and even they think its daft to have all the doco in both languages.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who live in Pennal, a tiny little place near the coast in West Wales. They speak fluent Welsh and speak it the bulk of the time in their everyday business.... and even they think its daft to have all the doco in both languages.
Well there you go then! There's you, me and the couple in Pennal who want Welsh translation scrapped, let's make it happen.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Works for me.

Here's another:
Cut all funding for ALL non-core local authority commitments. So only things like policing, fire brigade, waste collection, education, old peoples nomes etc will be funded.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Well there you go then! There's you, me and the couple in Pennal who want Welsh translation scrapped, let's make it happen.
It's a done deal then.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:34 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

No sh*t - I used to work in Pennal, at the hotel/timeshare resort there. Once you got to know them (through working with them, mainly) the locals were lovely people and yes, Welsh is their 1st language.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

No sh*t - I used to work in Pennal, at the hotel/timeshare resort there. Once you got to know them (through working with them, mainly) the locals were lovely people and yes, Welsh is their 1st language.
That will be Plas Talgarth. My mate, John Jones would you believe, is the head of the maintenance section.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

That will be Plas Talgarth. My mate, John Jones would you believe, is the head of the maintenance section.
That's the place, had a lot of fun working there one summer. Long time ago though, back in 1985.

Jones? why would that name ring a bell!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:07 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live near Pennal (in Machynlleth) and worked in an optician's in both Aberystwyth and Dolgellau - I'd say most of the people there have Welsh as their first language - but I can't think of any who couldn't also speak English, and more to the point weren't happy to speak English when they realised my Welsh extended as far as 'I'm sorry, I don't speak Welsh' and 'Thank you'.

I agree with you Iam - most of the people I worked with thought it was mad to have everything (and that is absolutely everything!!) in both languages.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but no but . . . that would be denying my human rights as a cottageburningsheepshagger . . . you see . . .
Old Aug 18th 2010, 2:23 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Grant those subsidy junkie countries Scotland and Wales their independence.

I'm in full agreement with this!

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.