Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's the worst advice you have taken away from B.E

What's the worst advice you have taken away from B.E

Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the worst advice you have taken away from B.E

Originally Posted by paulry
The resultant insecurity and alienation that such circumstances produce might also explain why BE seems to have cores of people who treat it as their main new friendship resource, and shun, seek to undermine, and throw names at those who don't conform with their established opinions and pecking orders.
Pots and kettles there I think mate. Tut-tut brigade anyone?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree with NB and Polly that you have to get out and meet people.

I agree to an extent but some don't know what true giving/receiving friendships are. Some are too dependent on BE for friendships meaning that they risk having too many expatriates (who are often here today gone tomorrow) as their friends but never quite assimilate with the Australian life and people - which presumably coming here was what it was all supposed to be about.
+1 Well the first half anyway (which I quoted) - I don't see much value in creating enclaves especially if it's unhappy people. I am sure there are thousands of people who spend their entire lives living in an enclave of some sort.

Of course it's one thing assimilating to Australian life, doesn't mean you can't talk to anyone else.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: the invitation comment. I just found it mentally exhausting, truly I did!! I should've took it a bit easier and slowly. It's something I have learned about myself, (Not talking just about b.e invites) As others said I got my fingers burned ( but won't go into details). As I have said before, I didn't find the BE meets helped me make friends , I was often much older than the others , so I stopped going years ago.
I have lovely friends here but it has taken time.

God people on here must think I'm a right bitch, am not, I'll go for a beer with anybody !! Lol, but not too oftn, oh I just can explain it!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Dec 1st 2013 at 6:03 am.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Re: the invitation comment. I just found it mentally exhausting, truly I did!! I should've took it a bit easier and slowly. It's something I have learned about myself, (Not talking just about b.e invites) As others said I got my fingers burned ( but won't go into details). As I have said before, I didn't find the BE meets helped me make friends , I was often much older than the others , so I stopped going years ago.

God people on here must think I'm a right bitch, am not, I'll go for a beer with anybody !! Lol, but not too oftn, oh I just can explain it!!
Nah mate, you're not a bitch, you just had enough of kissing frogs...
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I get it don't worry
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bitch matey, just normal! Its all part of the learning curve of migration

One day I will get back down to Melbourne......dare i suggest a meetup?
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:15 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I fell back on BE friendships for the first few months having no outside ways of linking up with people. Once I started to make friends in a good job I just accepted the offers of friendship there as eagerly as I did those from the forum. And had the same issues. I met some horrendously catty and vindictive people from non-forum sources, who to this day give me nightmares, but again thats life. I also met some beautiful life-long mates. Its like moving to a new town in the same coutry, take whats offered and be prepared to refine your choices later.
Yeah and good luck to you with that, Polly, I truly wish you happiness. Best foot forward and all that
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:30 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You're just normal by the looks of things

The expat meets can be a bit overwhelming. I attended a poms in oz meetup 2+ years ago and found it mostly good. Still have a few friends to this day that I'm in contact with from that meet. Had a few individual/family meets and only one has clearly proven to be a true friend from start to now. The rest? Well it's hard to tell. To survive, a friendship has to be consistent and a two way one in my book.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not a bitch matey, just normal! Its all part of the learning curve of migration

One day I will get back down to Melbourne......dare i suggest a meetup?
I'll buy the beers
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:03 am
Account Closed

It's a lovin thread now
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Pots and kettles there I think mate. Tut-tut brigade anyone?
Dunno, try to look on the bright side: at least you're part of a group

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I also agree with NB and Polly that you have to get out and meet people.

+1 Well the first half anyway (which I quoted) - I don't see much value in creating enclaves especially if it's unhappy people. I am sure there are thousands of people who spend their entire lives living in an enclave of some sort.

Of course it's one thing assimilating to Australian life, doesn't mean you can't talk to anyone else.
True, a good mix of both is best. Helps us to embrace the future and not look back too much.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, try to look on the bright side: at least you're part of a group

True, a good mix of both is best. Helps us to embrace the future and not look back too much.
According to some I'm also an abusive parent because I believe my adolescent child should take antipsychotic medication for his mental health issues and not mega doses of vitamins.

But like you said: At least I'm part of a group.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll buy the beers
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:36 pm
Banned

According to some I'm also an abusive parent because I believe my adolescent child should take antipsychotic medication for his mental health issues and not mega doses of vitamins.
Fiction. Go check the facts.

But like you said: At least I'm part of a group.
Yep, I'll give you that
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 1:49 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Well I got some bad advice (not sure if it was from here or elsewhere) to avoid meeting up with expats coz it would hamper 'assimilation' with the locals. I stupidly took that advice but I've found it damn near impossible to make any lasting friendships with the locals, they're friendly but don't want to be friends. On the other hand I've had more advice, friendship and support from the lovely ladies I met on BE (and in person only once, earlier this year) than I have in 2.5 years from anyone else in Australia. So when i move to Singapore early in the NY the first thing I'm doing is seeking out the expats (granted, it won't be hard )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.