Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's with these ugly uggs ?

What's with these ugly uggs ?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's with these ugly uggs ?

I love my Uggs! Certainly wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices charged for them here though. Am actually shocked that people will happily pay that much money for a pair of boots. I bought mine when we were in Perth year before last & paid about a third of what they would have cost here.

They do have a couple of downsides to them though. As much as they do keep my feet lovely & snuggly worn (have to be worn without socks) if it's wet they do get a bit soggy & sup up the water a bit. The soles aren't great on them either & are very slippery in the wet, the entrance to Tescos was like an ice rink in them the other day where the floor was wet. having said that I really want another pair as I've worn mind to death but can't justify buying them here.

Alison x
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:31 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
When I was younger and growing up in Oz,only pot smoking "Surfies"wore them!You were'nt a surfie if you did'nt wear your uggies!Makes me laugh now when I see them in the shops here!Oh well,just another silly fashion phase!
I think they were invented by a surfer in the 60.s or 70's.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by al150n
I love my Uggs! Certainly wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices charged for them here though. Am actually shocked that people will happily pay that much money for a pair of boots. I bought mine when we were in Perth year before last & paid about a third of what they would have cost here.

They do have a couple of downsides to them though. As much as they do keep my feet lovely & snuggly worn (have to be worn without socks) if it's wet they do get a bit soggy & sup up the water a bit. The soles aren't great on them either & are very slippery in the wet, the entrance to Tescos was like an ice rink in them the other day where the floor was wet. having said that I really want another pair as I've worn mind to death but can't justify buying them here.

Alison x
I don't think they were meant to be worn outside though.

I agree with you about the prices. I got some in Perth for $145.00. Here they are 200quid for a good pair. No chance. Don't like them anymore anyway.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a pair of Uggs and I love them. They are only meant to be worn as slippers, I don't know who's bright idea it was to start wearing them as a fashion item?? I would never wear them outside the house!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very big difference between Reynaud's syndrome and cold feet. If you have Reynaud's it means that capillaries in limbs go itnto spasm- they overreact to the cold, and you lose the circulation and feeling in your hands and feet. It is very painful when the feeling and circulation comes back. It is summer here and my hands still turn white and lifeless if I hold a cold drink or clean the pool with a metal handled pole, sometimes even driving does it- especially if the air-con is on.
Yes I have a pair of ugg-like boots, but mine are made with proper outdoor soles and have slimmer legs which have a pretty embroidered design. And yes I wear them ourside, as they were made for such a purpose. I don't use them as slippers. They are very comfortable, and to be honest, I'd rather be able to walk and feel my feet than be a slave to fashion and cripple them.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:50 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Everyone has a syndrome nowadays. Whatever happened to just good old 'cold feet'?
Yeah, this is just 'cold feet'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
I am a bit confused why Brits are so in love with these ugly "Ugg" boots by Ugg Australia. they have no character or style, so why do brits love them so.
Is it because they will fall blindly for anything Australian ?

I have a stall at a famous market in the UK and girls were falling over themselves proclaiming these "Uggs" were so beautiful.

What a weird world we live in.
The expensive "UGG Australia" brand (which all the celebs wear) is owned by an American company and makes the boots in China.

Australian made UGG boots are cheaper and better quality.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
The expensive "UGG Australia" brand (which all the celebs wear) is owned by an American company and makes the boots in China.

My wife wears a pair of the normal slipper type ones... $60 from a local guy who makes them in front of you.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

They are great for slippers. I have had a pair for 6 years I wear sometimes. Ripcurl.

You could get a cheap pair every winter from a stand in the mall.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:38 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

LoL, I think a lot of people have neen hood winked
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future

Have you seen the new knitted type that looks like a scarf wrapped around your feet WTF??????????????????
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Mine have Made in Australia stitched in to the logo on the back

As for the knitted Uggs I do think they look a bit daft. Might as well wear knitted ankle warms or tuck your trousers in to a pair of think knitted socks.

Alison x
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:28 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. I have some Australian made EMU branded boots which are excellent by comparison in quality, comfort and materials. And I do wear them in the winter. Even in Queensland it gets cold a night for a few weeks of the year. Not shitty UK cold, just cold with tile floors cold. And I will wear them out when heading down to the local shop etc.

Frankly, wearing any form of shoes in Brisbane is dressing up.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:33 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

They are worn by grannies and smell of wee and dog poo after about 6 months of use....horrible.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I agree with you though, they are f**king horrible ugly boots which make your feet stink
From me experience only the "fake" ones stink!

Sheeps wool can be worn in any weather, perhaps if more people realised that the wool industry wouldn't suffer so much.

It is not unusual to see pram liners made from sheeps wool being used during hot summer months to keep babes cool!

I wear my Uggs all year round.

Last edited by jothefw; Jan 15th 2010 at 10:07 pm. Reason: spelling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.