British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   whats the news concerning student visas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/whats-news-concerning-student-visas-621710/)

shark bait Jul 23rd 2009 7:44 am

whats the news concerning student visas?

just heard it could effect up to 40000 aiming for pr !
anyone up date us?

mango4 Jul 23rd 2009 7:56 am

Re: whats the news concerning student visas?

This has come from a report by Bob Birell, I think it refers to the recent changes that have come in since dec 08, but I feel a BIG change is on the way!

Hope it doesn't affect those of us who have applied already, but who knows
eh!

shark bait Jul 23rd 2009 7:59 am

headline news on bigpond, but no info :confused:

balkanghost Jul 23rd 2009 2:39 pm

If you search online for info you see two sides, Birrell prefers students to return home (and possibly no migrants in first place, he has reputation :)) vs Govt. who are being a bit coy about it. They know that for now the taps have to be closed (processing takes longer unless CSL?) a little, while economy has slowed, but will turn the taps back on again with signs of economic recovery.

Birrell as an academic in the population area appears to think the population is large enough and has grown too quickly, but he includes temporary residents to inflate his numbers.....

Fact is Australia without migration, with an ageing population, would have decreasing (skilled) workforce and tax base....

I put my money on the govt. continuing on with migration levels, but tweaking here and there....

sambo76 Jul 23rd 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by balkanghost (Post 7777543)
If you search online for info you see two sides, Birrell prefers students to return home (and possibly no migrants in first place, he has reputation :)) vs Govt. who are being a bit coy about it. They know that for now the taps have to be closed (processing takes longer unless CSL?) a little, while economy has slowed, but will turn the taps back on again with signs of economic recovery.

Birrell as an academic in the population area appears to think the population is large enough and has grown too quickly, but he includes temporary residents to inflate his numbers.....

Fact is Australia without migration, with an ageing population, would have decreasing (skilled) workforce and tax base....

I put my money on the govt. continuing on with migration levels, but tweaking here and there....

Why does it say that the 40,000 students who have applied have little or no chance of getting PR? I applied in Jan 09 and passed all requirements and skills tests. Does this mean as my occupation is not on the CSL I will not get a visa and I face years of appeals?