British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Whats the most overrated place in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/whats-most-overrated-place-australia-742436/)

Whats that smell... Dec 20th 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Whats the most overrated place in Australia

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9799389)
to us yes, to an australian no.

Who cares what Australians think?

Turban Explorer Dec 20th 2011 3:41 pm

The humongous over-exaggeration has to be labeling Queensland 'the smart state'. The communications department that created that logo must have needed some extreme underwear laundry that day.

spartacus Dec 20th 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9799404)
The humongous over-exaggeration has to be labeling Queensland 'the smart state'. The communications department that created that logo must have needed some extreme underwear laundry that day.

It's meant to be ironic.

In Exile Dec 20th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Whats that smell... (Post 9799403)
Who cares what Australians think?

just australians

Turban Explorer Dec 20th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9799406)
It's meant to be ironic.

Is it? In that case good on 'em. It's genius.

Whats that smell... Dec 20th 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9799392)
A hooker in kings cross:confused:

If thats you in your little picture could you please let me have a list of your current charges? :thumbsup:

Sorry sweet, I'm booked out til Feb and I've been sitting on a pack of frozen peas since Sunday as it is.

eddie007 Dec 20th 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Whats that smell... (Post 9799416)
Sorry sweet, I'm booked out til Feb and I've been sitting on a pack of frozen peas since Sunday as it is.

And no doubt there will be a cost of living increase by then.... Will have to start saving:(

ozzieeagle Dec 20th 2011 5:56 pm

I Like most of the replies in this thread. One place that certainly wasn't overrated was Sydney Harbour, especially once your out on it. Simply Breathtaking, If there is a prettier City vista anywhere in the World I'd love to see it.

I can certainly remember being very disappointed when I first saw St Kilda... got used to it now I guess. Re the other comments about Melbourne for me It's best to treat the very close in Inner City the main area for going out and about.... With all of it having very interesting little places scattered here and there.

Scubaemma Dec 20th 2011 6:06 pm

For me it's Uluru.

I kept hearing how it was magical and special and is meant to change colours as the sun sets etc... I think I thought it would be something pretty special. But it was just a big rock. Don't get me wrong, it's bloody enormous as rocks go, but I didn't feel anything magical. And when up the sun set it just went from being rock colored to dark....

Maybe I was missing something, but it wasn't really all it was cracked up to be IMHO.

Turban Explorer Dec 20th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 9799524)
For me it's Uluru.

I kept hearing how it was magical and special and is meant to change colours as the sun sets etc... I think I thought it would be something pretty special. But it was just a big rock. Don't get me wrong, it's bloody enormous as rocks go, but I didn't feel anything magical. And when up the sun set it just went from being rock colored to dark....

Maybe I was missing something, but it wasn't really all it was cracked up to be IMHO.

Yeah! The appeal of having 50 flies sitting on your face at anyone time is overrated as well.

Scubaemma Dec 20th 2011 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9799527)
Yeah! The appeal of having 50 flies sitting on your face at anyone time is overrated as well.

That was the other thing, I've never seen flies like it! Up your nose, in your ears, it was completely impossible. No wonder people wore those bee keeper face net things, you actually needed them :lol:

ozzieeagle Dec 20th 2011 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Scubaemma (Post 9799530)
That was the other thing, I've never seen flies like it! Up your nose, in your ears, it was completely impossible. No wonder people wore those bee keeper face net things, you actually needed them :lol:

Stuff that !

I really hate flies with a passion now. So much so that I would either have one of those hats ready and waiting, or just get back in the car, spray some fly spray and POQ back to the City. I just dont bother when there are flies like that anymore.

boots Dec 20th 2011 8:44 pm

The 12 Apostles in Port Campbell,with the Great Ocean Road-Sorry but some jaggged rocks in the water didn't really do it.
Darwin,overhyped Backpackers drinking den-even Ballarat was more interesting.
Phillip Island-I need the address of their marketing people,overpriced,overhyped bland country town,just behind Echuca in the Ripp-Off stakes,some penguins and a steam boat,mmmmmmm yeah okkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy.
I could have stayed at Melton and booked a Motel room for a month and would have seen real wildlife,ferel mums with ferel kids running amok in a Wild West town with no law.
Heres a hint,if the town has more tattooists and gun dealers than dentists -keep driving!

chris955 Dec 20th 2011 9:21 pm

Any of the 'Big' things, the Big Merino, the Big Shrimp, the Big Beer Can.

Rainbow Beach, OMG what a let down.

brissybee Dec 20th 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9799200)
There are some marvelous natural wonders to visit in Oz but you have to drive for days to find them normally. It means lots of time, a decent 4 wheel drive, and camping equipment. NT and Northern WA are my favourite areas.

Road trips ARE great but the towns to me all seemed very samey and bland - - with the fast food joints, K Mart, empty pub - like the mid West of the US but with cleaner toilets (which you always need a key for!)

Thirded.