Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the most difficult kitchen appliance to choose.

Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whats the most difficult kitchen appliance to choose.

We are having all sorts of issues trying to choose a Range bloody hood.... mostly to do with noise, reliablity, function then appearance in that order. Would like a canopy but will now accept under cabinet as they are obviously quieter.

Is 61 db too loud for a range hood... I get the feeling it probably is. Which means at least doubling our bloody budget for one. :curse::curse:

Grrr... Who would have something so basic would be so full of contradictory reviews on the T'net.

Anyone got any suggestions in the 600 buck range ?

Bloody keep coming back to 1,000 buck plus Schweigen.... and high end stuff is generally something I wouldn't choose.

Bleeding noisy Robinhoods/Westinghouse/Chef/Omegas dammit !

So is going quiet worth doubling a budget... they damn well look the same to me ?

I think I may be projecting some anger away from tardy tradesmen with this thread.

Serious question Do people generally spend more on Rangehoods than Dishwashers and Washing machines ?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:50 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the most difficult kitchen appliance to choose.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We are having all sorts of issues trying to choose a Range bloody hood.... mostly to do with noise, reliablity, function then appearance in that order. Would like a canopy but will now accept under cabinet as they are obviously quieter.

Is 61 db too loud for a range hood... I get the feeling it probably is. Which means at least doubling our bloody budget for one. :curse::curse:

Grrr... Who would have something so basic would be so full of contradictory reviews on the T'net.

Bloody keep coming back to 1,000 buck plus Schweigen.... and high end stuff is generally something I wouldn't choose.

So is going quiet worth doubling a budget... they damn well look the same to me ?

I think I may be projecting some anger away from tardy tradesmen with this thread.

Serious question Do people generally spend more on Rangehoods than Dishwashers and Washing machines ?
I would say not. Don't know the market in Aus, but over here, the pricier ones tend to be the 'design' led ones.

With respect to the noise the dB will be dependent on a number of factors. The dB advertised is usually on the highest setting so you need to think how often you will have on that setting. EG, I have a 6 burner hob, with the extractor on external ducting (more efficient and cleaner than filters) and rarely need to put it on more than the lowest setting.

Alos, look at the external factors such as how much noise absorbing things you have (fabrics, wood, carpet etc) and how much reflective stuff there is (glass, metal, ceramics/tiles) How big is the room and is it open plan?

To give you an idea, the average integrated dishwasher operates at around 45-52dB, an integrated washing machine at around 72-78dB. My company does a chimney extractor that operates at 55dB

http://www.cda.eu/Products/Extractors/ECH71

HTH
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:30 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The main thing that I would consider when getting a hob extractor is to choose one complete with ducting to extract the cooking smells, etc outside. Cost? Well how much are you willing and able to pay for a luxury item such as this? Noise? Yes that is important. The one we had in the UK used to make a right racket - so much so that unless it was very strong cooking smells like garlic or fish we often opted instead to just open the kitchen window a little wider.

Kitchens are very on-topic in my home at the moment since work is at long last beginning this week on replacing our fire-damaged UK kitchen.

Last edited by paulry; Oct 17th 2011 at 10:33 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
The main thing that I would consider when getting a hob extractor is to choose one complete with ducting to extract the cooking smells, etc outside. Cost? Well how much are you willing and able to pay for a luxury item such as this? Noise? Yes that is important. The one we had in the UK used to make a right racket - so much so that unless it was very strong cooking smells like garlic or fish we often opted instead to just open the kitchen window a little wider.

Kitchens are very on-topic in my home at the moment since work is at long last beginning this week on replacing our fire-damaged UK kitchen.
I would never have thunk to do that.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

How loud is 61dB? I'm guessing not very. For an item you (I) don't use that often, I'd be loathe to pay upwards of $1000.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

And if you really want to be posh and hate kitchen smells in the main house then you can always build a kitchen block at the bottom of the garden like friends of ours did in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

....... a husband?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:24 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....... a husband?
An appliance that runs on alcohol and comes with no warranty can't be any good.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Whats the most difficult kitchen appliance to choose.

A wife. Took me literally years to find the right one.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:04 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a Schweigen from a guy in Geelong.He had a website selling all sorts of stuff.Think I saved about 400 on it if memory serves correct.It was still exy though.It's a great unit.Exhaust goes out the roof on the double storey.Strong and quiet.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

All range hoods have problems. With the insects here a point to watch out for is the extract, you really need one that closes when it is turned off, regardless if it is through the roof or just into the ceiling. Without those closing doors you will have mosquitoes and cockroaches paying you a visit, the same thing applies to the shower extract in the bathroom.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:11 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Does she have a sister,save me years of looking
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:35 am
Banned

And what a bonus that you found a British one!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Whats the most difficult kitchen appliance to choose.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Does she have a sister,save me years of looking
She does, but her sister is married with kids and living in Canada.

Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

She does, but her sister is married with kids and living in Canada.

Oh can't be doing with the canada bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.