Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats going for Christmas din dins?

Whats going for Christmas din dins?

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Whats going for Christmas din dins?

Our 5th Xmas since moving (2 of which were spent back in the UK) and haven't a clue what to do. I struggle at Christmas here so the dinner just adds to it.

1st attempt was the ole Turkey and trimmings, didn't go down well.
2nd attempt was a Goose with the trimmings, very nice but we didn't learn.

This is my third Xmas dinner, already bought a Ham and my relo's are cooking a Turkey crown the night before, this year we are going cold Turkey

So for nibbles I bought some local cheese, getting some festive pate and quince paste.

Starters will be Mooloolaba prawns, Tempura calamari, Oysters Kilpatrick and some Moreton bay bugs.

But what to have with the ham and turkey? Good old Jamie gave me an idea of a nice slaw with red cabbage and sour cream, but what else?? My salad vocabulary is fairly limited and I have a picky family.

So what's on your menu?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats going for Christmas din dins?

Traditional....

Christmas eve... Prawns, smoked salmon, oysters, lobster... Salads, home made whole grain bread and butter, warm potato salad

Death by Creme Caramel for pudding with fresh berries...

Xmas day breakfast...soft Boiled shelled quails eggs... Thin white bread sliced and glazed baked ham (glaze made of OJ, black sugar and organic maple syrup), with sweet ginger pickled onions...raised pork pie, tea, coffee and freshly squeezed OJ.... Toast and child number one's homemade WTF?marmalade for anyone with any room....

Luncheon... Turkey, roast and mashed potatoes, parsnips, sprouts with chestnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, Mange Tout, braised baby onions, glazed carrots... Yorkshire puddings... Sage and onion stuffing, chestnut stuffing (with and without onion), sausages wrapped in bacon, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and ARRRRRGH Mint Jelly...wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...but for my kids it's equivilant to ketchup
Cheeses (variety of Australian, and Stilton...not sure where THAT one was made)
Christmas pudding... With brandy, cointraeu or drambuie butter (have to make all 3) fresh cream, creme anglais and home made advacaat, home made vanilla ice cream

Supper: cold ham, cold turkey, smoked salmon, salads, cheeses, pickles, pickled onions, crudités, dips and chips, nibbles, Sherry Trifle and Christmas cake ...

And then on boxing day we are having..............
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Traditional....

Christmas eve... Prawns, smoked salmon, oysters, lobster... Salads, home made whole grain bread and butter, warm potato salad

Xmas day breakfast...soft Boiled shelled quails eggs... Thin white bread sliced and glazed baked ham (glaze made of OJ, black sugar and organic maple syrup), with sweet ginger pickled onions...raised pork pie, tea, coffee and freshly squeezed OJ.... Toast and child number one's homemade WTF?marmalade for anyone with any room....

Luncheon... Turkey, roast and mashed potatoes, parsnips, sprouts with chestnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, Mange Tout, braised baby onions, glazed carrots... Yorkshire puddings... Sage and onion stuffing, chestnut stuffing (with and without onion), sausages wrapped in bacon, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and ARRRRRGH Mint Jelly...wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...but for my kids it's equivilant to ketchup
Christmas pudding... With brandy, cointraeu or drambuie butter (have to make all 3) fresh cream, creme anglais and home made advacaat, home made vanilla ice cream

Supper: cold ham, cold turkey, smoked salmon, salads, cheeses, pickles, pickled onions, crudités, dips and chips, nibbles, Sherry Trifle and Christmas cake ...

A coffin to carry you off in!!!

I see the thermo will be going full steam ahead!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
A coffin to carry you off in!!!
I was thinking of a bucket Mr Kreosote
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:49 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Traditional....

My lot say have you got room for 4 more at dinner -
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas Eve we are out to lunch as it's my wedding anniversary

Christmas Day

Smoked salmon and poached eggs for brekkie with champagne after training!

For lunch - prawns and oysters followed by beef Wellington and summer vegetables in a chive and mint vinaigrette with a beetroot salad followed by Christmas pudding and brandy cream

Supper - if we are hungry - cheese and pickles, sausage rolls and mince pies
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
My lot say have you got room for 4 more at dinner -
Yup.... We have a have a habit of expanding the table for extras at the drop of a hat....

Looks like we are only 12 ...so plenty of room and plenty of food
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Glad you reminded me... I left sausage rolls and minced pies off the supper menu
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think you could buy Goose in Australia ???????????

I've actually gone as far as putting out feelers amongst the Asian community here as they are into Goose as well.... they told me it was banned ?

If it's for sale up in Queensland thats big and new news to me.

Family Xmas for us.... I'm doing a Rotteserie Turkey for the first time ever and Pork Belly... Wifes doing the Vegetables, so not sure whats coming there. I'm hoping for plum pudding for desert, but I reckon we'll probably end up with Pavlova and some typically Aussie traditional topping... Kiwi fruit.. even if it is from across the ditch.

Booze... got me a slab of Old Speckled Hen and a Dozen Magners... The Magners is on special at Aldi at present at 4 bucks a pint. Just as well because the OSH was bleeding dear. Wife will be on the hunt for some wine tomorrow.

Eating outside for sure this year, wife's been prepping the back yard all week.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yup.... We have a have a habit of expanding the table for extras at the drop of a hat....

Looks like we are only 12 ...so plenty of room and plenty of food
LOL - might be a bit of a drive from Adelaide
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

At this rate, hospital food for Mrs TB and a pot noodle in the waiting room for me!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
At this rate, hospital food for Mrs TB and a pot noodle in the waiting room for me!
Are we there yet?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Are we there yet?
I'm taking her up to the hospital for a check up in an hour or so. I reckon 'bump' senses where we're going (like a pooch to the vet) and gets all defiant. maybe we should chat in the car that we're going to Disneyland
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I didn't think you could buy Goose in Australia ???????????
If it's for sale up in Queensland thats big and new news to me.
Well you could a couple of years ago, but we were in Canberra not QLD. Why would it be banned?

edit: try these guys http://www.meatatbillys.com.au/poultry.htm

Last edited by Graham and Maria; Dec 23rd 2013 at 12:22 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
Well you could a couple of years ago, but we were in Canberra not QLD. Why would it be banned?

edit: try these guys http://www.meatatbillys.com.au/poultry.htm
I honestly don't know makes no sense...unless its a perception associated with fois gras

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.