Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Pumpkin - yes you can get it in the UK but very limited season and not used to its full potential
Yeah....in the uk, pumpkins were big & orange and you cut funny faces in them! We have pumpkin in some form or another most days now....love it.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

Im the OH
I am so into watermelon here - must be the heat as not into back home or when abroad in europe.

Cheds and Chris' dips - but my homemade avocado dip is extra yummy even if the OH prefer's black swan!

Icepops in this weather!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Fleurs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the best food product you have found since you have been in Oz?

I must say I love tim tams. They are great!

Chocolate aside, I generally find the quality of the fresh produce here so much better than the UK. For example the seafood is so fresh and the fruits are all so much sweeter just to name a couple. yummy!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleurs
For example the seafood is so fresh
interesting that some seafood such as prawns is probably imported from exactly the same place as it is imported into the UK from ie. Thailand and Pakistan.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:34 am
Just Joined

IpswichToSydney is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are lucky enough to live near an Aldi then they sell their version of Jaffa cakes, my wife now prefers them over the McVitees one.

I'm happy......they are a lot cheaper!! :-)
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
interesting that some seafood such as prawns is probably imported from exactly the same place as it is imported into the UK from ie. Thailand and Pakistan.
I find the prawns here pretty tasteless to be honest. North Atlantic small ones have much more taste.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I find the prawns here pretty tasteless to be honest. North Atlantic small ones have much more taste.
I also find that products here have many more additives in than the equivalent in the UK.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Depends where you go shopping. I buy local fish and shellfish catches from the fishmarket and there is a big difference. We made the mistake of buying from the supermarket here once and that was not pleasant at all. Clearly imported and lots of additives.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I totally love the passionfruit growing in my garden, also the grapes are nearly ripe woohoo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleurs
Depends where you go shopping. I buy local fish and shellfish catches from the fishmarket and there is a big difference.
That is absolutely no guarantee it is local.

Most prawns are imported for a start.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:56 am
Bitter and twisted

What is not imported is very unlikely to be local to Sydney......more likely farmed in the NT.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Well maybe they just tell me porky pies every week then about what has been caught locally

oh well never mind. My personal opinion anyway is that the quality is better than home and that's what this thread is about.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the OP's question.

King Island Ash Brie (but you've got to make sure it hasn't been killed by the supermarket )
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

That is absolutely no guarantee it is local.

Most prawns are imported for a start.
The Australian prawn industry

2005/06
Local Production 23,187 (tonnes) (Fresh) ave value $13.03 p kg
Imports 23,165 (tonnes) (Fresh, chilled and frozen) ave value $8.69 p kg

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dp...5_ENA_HTML.htm

Eat Australian Prawns http://www.australianprawns.com.au/a...rownprawns.php

Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Semi-dried tomatoes.

Aussie style doner kebabs - they don't require 10 pints of Dutch courage to eat one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.