Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's becoming of the Aussies?

What's becoming of the Aussies?

Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's becoming of the Aussies?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...rt-of-comments

"Having a female Prime Minister though has only shown though that there seems to be a mass of institutional sexism and misogyny pervasive in Australian politics, media and other walks of life. These issues have cropped up weekly from day one of her stewardship it seems. Maybe it would be the same in the UK if we had a female PM. But it really does seem like time for Australia to grow up, and I'm speaking as a male, aussie loving, individual who wants to go back and live there."

"The hatred of the PM is surprising. Look at the blogs of
Murdoch bloggers Piers Akerman, Miranda Devine, Andrew Bolt,
et al. There is an endless machine gunning of anything she does.

She has had food thrown at her and this weekthe insulting mock menu at a 'Liberal' Party 'function'.

A shameful week all round, and that's without mentioning Dave Warner."

Personally, I think the attacks on your PM, and the conduct with which it is done, quite abhorrent.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: What's becoming of the Aussies?

The supposed sexism present in Australian politics has its origins from the Labor spin dept and not reality. Screaming misogyny is a diversion tactic to bad judgement and bad policy decisions.

Last edited by jimbo_d; Jun 13th 2013 at 4:50 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

She's the worst PM in Aus history (even knocking Gough and Krudd off the steps). The divisiveness and spite is all hers and the Labor machine behind her spinning it constantly. She's a disgrace to womanhood. Had she done anything half respect-able I am sure she would have been accorded respect.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...rt-of-comments

"Having a female Prime Minister though has only shown though that there seems to be a mass of institutional sexism and misogyny pervasive in Australian politics, media and other walks of life. These issues have cropped up weekly from day one of her stewardship it seems. Maybe it would be the same in the UK if we had a female PM. But it really does seem like time for Australia to grow up, and I'm speaking as a male, aussie loving, individual who wants to go back and live there."

"The hatred of the PM is surprising. Look at the blogs of
Murdoch bloggers Piers Akerman, Miranda Devine, Andrew Bolt,
et al. There is an endless machine gunning of anything she does.

She has had food thrown at her and this weekthe insulting mock menu at a 'Liberal' Party 'function'.

A shameful week all round, and that's without mentioning Dave Warner."

Personally, I think the attacks on your PM, and the conduct with which it is done, quite abhorrent.

I have overseas guests here, english/american-canadian. They watch the news with total disbelief. Think they will leave with a sort of racist, sexist, violent, idiotic image of australian mainly due to the news the past 3 weeks .
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I have overseas guests here, english/american-canadian. They watch the news with total disbelief. Think they will leave with a sort of racist, sexist, violent, idiotic image of australian mainly due to the news the past 3 weeks .
but I'm sure you don't help matters by only showing them the tabloid stations! You do love a sensationalist, tabloid story!
Have they worked out the mainstream media?

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 13th 2013 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The state of current Australian politics is shocking and as someone who is trying to adopt the country as my own I find it truly embarrassing. All of the larger political parties here are a disgrace. Have it always been like this?

On sexism I also think Australia does have a major problem with itself: from rampant reverse sexism on the one hand to the disgraceful goings ons in its millitary on the other.

And yet I find that most Australians are kind, orderly and well meaning so where did it all go wrong?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
She's the worst PM in Aus history (even knocking Gough and Krudd off the steps). The divisiveness and spite is all hers and the Labor machine behind her spinning it constantly. She's a disgrace to womanhood. Had she done anything half respect-able I am sure she would have been accorded respect.
I tend to agree re Julia at least... and I'm a dedicated Labour voter... She lost me right at he start when she sided with the greens without a proper mandate to do so, with the subsequent likely loss of 100s of jobs. The most untrustworthy leader I've ever seen.

As for the Sandwich throwing, that seems to be a kids fad thing, rather than anything political or sexist.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 13th 2013 at 10:41 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:52 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I trust you are being sarcastic with that statement?

If not, you are so far off base as to be of questionable sanity. Like it or not, this government has presided over a pretty good financial and legislative record - far better than many mismanaged examples of australian politics in the past.

The newspaper propaganda machine has been in a macabre dance with the deep seated sexism in this country to create a demonisation of Gillard that is out of all recognition with her record. From the blatantly bullshit "she lied over the carbon tax" (hello, this is a collation government with the greens, compromise is required) we got the 'Juliar' propaganda and from there a progressive ratcheting up of the insults<>sexism till today you get a radio DJ insulting her, to her face, saying that her partner must be gay.

Australian politicians aren't a particularly wonderful bunch. All round, it's hardly the best and brightest, and the game of politics that gets played make them ineffectual (in common with most western politicians). However a major reason for that is no sane individual would want to willingly jump into that cesspit. What you end up with is the power hungry political game players - seeking to stroke their own egos and feather their own nests.

Australia needs to clean the stables, starting with the media. Only then can the other problems with the game of politics and the deep seated culture of the bogans (not the PC ephemera) be dealt with.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
but I'm sure you don't help matters by only showing them the tabloid stations! You do love a sensationalist, tabloid story!
Have they worked out the mainstream media?

We don't watch the current affair shows to which you refer

The quality stations have shown all of the subjects covered in this thread.

BTW they hated melbourne if only I had sent them to you
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

What is becoming of Aussies?

Australia is becoming female, anything masculine is frowned up on and discouraged. Boys apparently need to me more like girls and girls will be more like the boys.

With current rate of girls out performing boys at school and going on to higher education the future is simply female in western society anyway.

If you have a baby make sure it is a girl.

Anyone remember to Two Ronnies sketch about a world where the women are in control - 'The worm that turned' :-) That is Australia 20 years from now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcMd1F1acSo

Last edited by Jon77; Jun 13th 2013 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:15 am
Banned

Organicised is an unknown quantity at this point

Howard was about the worst. Julia suffers purely from being female.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. Neither of us is insane , as Garry P suggests, we simply have lived in Australia long enough to compare and pass judgment on PMs. Our opinion is just as valid as any other person's.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

So, because she has been a shIt PM it is ok to be sexist?

Unfortunately, I remember the similar justification from a large contingent of the Aussie population for when Sol Trujillo left his Telstra role. He came out in the media shortly after leaving the country stating that there were many racist undertones in Aussie culture. Instead of tackling the accusation head on, the press and many other commentators (on here included) used the line of "well, if you weren't such a sh!t leader and didn't drive Telstra into the ground then..."

Does this sound familiar? Your retort just then, did not in any way debate the issue at hand, instead it looked as though you were trying to justify her perceived lack of performance with why sexism was acceptable in her situation.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole state of Australian politics is a shambles. Its just so base, the pathetic playground tactics on both sides is an absolute embarrassment. And the media has a huge role in getting it to this point. Its a complete disgrace. The shit people get awaywith saying about her is unreal, prime example being that perth nob on the radio the other day.

I think Gillard is a decent politican and person and has done a reasonable job in extremely difficult circumstances. She has more 'balls' than all of her male counterparts. If she had a proper mandate and some of the dickheads in her own party piped down I think she'd do well.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The newspaper propaganda machine has been in a macabre dance with the deep seated sexism in this country to create a demonisation of Gillard that is out of all recognition with her record.
I think that some of the newspapers side against a government that has been a shambles to be honest. One at least has sided against her in a way that newspapers sided with New Labour in the late 90s in the UK.

We need a quality independent newspaper/media. Of course, the ABC fronts some of this but alot of it is left-wing ish rather than truly independent.

Originally Posted by GarryP

Australian politicians aren't a particularly wonderful bunch. All round, it's hardly the best and brightest, and the game of politics that gets played make them ineffectual (in common with most western politicians). However a major reason for that is no sane individual would want to willingly jump into that cesspit. What you end up with is the power hungry political game players - seeking to stroke their own egos and feather their own nests.
Agreed. The problem with Australian politics I think is that the leadership is low quality. The real intelligent and quality leadership in Australia (in general) either do not go into politics or do not head the current leadership. In the UK you still get quality people going into both politics and even leadership (despite the name-calling). I find that people I actually know and meet are better than the current crop of politicians or even some media pundits. In the UK, there are some very clever people in leadership positions (in general) in the media and in politics. Even if some of the UK population see them as elitist.

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The whole state of Australian politics is a shambles. Its just so base, the pathetic playground tactics on both sides is an absolute embarrassment. And the media has a huge role in getting it to this point. Its a complete disgrace. The shit people get awaywith saying about her is unreal, prime example being that perth nob on the radio the other day.
The problem with the Australian media is that a large proportion of it is tabloid. I have no idea why people even consume it.

We don't watch the current affair shows to which you refer

The quality stations have shown all of the subjects covered in this thread.
But you love to report a tabloid story - even in your own life!
Of course the quality stations will report it - just not in a tabloid way.

BTW they hated melbourne if only I had sent them to you
Perhaps! Presumably they had their tourists eyes on..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.