Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Wikiposts

'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Originally Posted by framac67
or RANGERS
Jeez, what did they ever do to you?

http://aboutrangers.info/

Rangers is a dynamic outdoor, camping program for school aged children and youth. Weekly meetings include games, stimulating program periods where we learn about camping in the great outdoors and inspirational devotions - where we connect to God in a meaningful and relevant way.
Please choose a link from the list of options on the left hand side of this screen to find out more about Rangers.
Programs for primary aged kids

Kookaburrasfor boys and girls in kindergartenWallabiesfor boys and girls in year 1 and 2Stockhandsfor boys and girls in year 3 and 4Pioneersfor boys and girls in year 5 and 6
Programs for high school and beyond

Trailblazersyouth in years 7 and 8Trail Rangersyouth in years 9 to 12Duke of Edinburgh Awardyouth aged 14 to 25

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Oct 8th 2009 at 9:14 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:44 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My kids friends have always called me by my christian name, even when they were tiny. Infact my girls called us both by our christian names for a couple of years when they were younger. What's the problem? My name is Penny, it's not mum and it's certainly not 'Mrs XX or Auntie something. I hate being called Mrs X, I tend to still look round for my MiL. I love that here even official places call me Penny.
My reasons for feeling strongly against my kids' friends calling me by my christian name is more of a familiarity/respect thing really. I'm not one of their pals - I'm a parent of one of their pals. I would much rather maintain a healthy fear/distance from them so that they know my kids are not to be messed with. My own kids as I've said before I try to have a big brother kind of relationship which for me provides a good balance of friendship and respect. And of course I can manage that balance as necessary - I can't do that with their friends who come and go and can be their friends one minute, enemies the next.

The Auntie/Uncle thing is more normal in South Africa and has a slightly different meaning to it's usage in the UK. It's used as a single word: Auntie or Uncle without the christian name following it - it's more of an amiable acknowlegement that the person addressed in that way is the elder and is to be afforded due respect.

I also like the Americans' use of "Sir" and "Ma'am". It's a cornerstone of the generally good manners which they are famous for.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Is that similar to turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones?
Yes
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:10 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The other one I loathe is the "rocket science" one
Used to work at a place making missiles - you know, those things that take out planes and ships an' stuff. And the engineers favourite part of a meeting would be when discussing a problem, saying "it's not rocket science y'know"

Well, actually, mate.... it is!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Used to work at a place making missiles - you know, those things that take out planes and ships an' stuff. And the engineers favourite part of a meeting would be when discussing a problem, saying "it's not rocket science y'know"

Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:45 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My reasons for feeling strongly against my kids' friends calling me by my christian name is more of a familiarity/respect thing really. I'm not one of their pals - I'm a parent of one of their pals. I would much rather maintain a healthy fear/distance from them so that they know my kids are not to be messed with. My own kids as I've said before I try to have a big brother kind of relationship which for me provides a good balance of friendship and respect. And of course I can manage that balance as necessary - I can't do that with their friends who come and go and can be their friends one minute, enemies the next.

The Auntie/Uncle thing is more normal in South Africa and has a slightly different meaning to it's usage in the UK. It's used as a single word: Auntie or Uncle without the christian name following it - it's more of an amiable acknowlegement that the person addressed in that way is the elder and is to be afforded due respect.

I also like the Americans' use of "Sir" and "Ma'am". It's a cornerstone of the generally good manners which they are famous for.
- come on P, you have got to be at the wind up, but I know you are not

I wouldn't have anyone calling me anything but my christian name (shut it k)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
- come on P, you have got to be at the wind up, but I know you are not

Which part did you think was a wind up?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:52 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Which part did you think was a wind up?
The liking of the 'merican sir and mam thing

ps - I still love you though
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
"it's not rocket science y'know"

Yeah, but its not exactly Brain surgery is it

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Oct 9th 2009 at 1:00 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:58 am
Banned

The liking of the 'merican sir and mam thing

ps - I still love you though
It's true though about it promoting good manners and respect..... The end justifies the means . It would probably sound funny with a Scottish accent though
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:02 am

It's true though about it promoting good manners and respect..... The end justifies the means . It would probably sound funny with a Scottish accent though
- and a s.africaan too

Too oldey worldy for my
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I prefer to be called by my first name and nothing else, that's what a name is for. All my kids friends call me by my first name. I hate being known as 'the missus, our lass, thingys mum'
Just my name will do.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I prefer to be called by my first name and nothing else, that's what a name is for. All my kids friends call me by my first name. I hate being known as 'the missus, our lass, thingys mum'
Just my name will do.

Admittedly, these days most adopt the first name convention. I'm not convinced that it's the best but each to their own
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

So many Christians on here.

I HATE being asked "What's your Christian name?". I am not a Christian and do not have one. I have a first given name.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
So many Christians on here.

I HATE being asked "What's your Christian name?". I am not a Christian and do not have one. I have a first given name.
I get laughed at for using 'surname'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.