Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Wikiposts

'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Ok, a new poll investigating the most irritating words and phrases says that 'whatever' is the most hated word among both sexes, all age groups, educational levels and incomes, and in all regions.

The top 5 was actually:

1. WHATEVER
2. YOU KNOW
3. IT IS WHAT IT IS
4. ANYWAY
5. AT THE END OF THE DAY

To that I would add 'pur-lease' - it drives me mad!

Actually, this has reminded me of a great quote from years ago from Gavin Esler that the two most boring words in the English Language were "Northern Ireland."

What word or phrase really annoys you guys? Or dare I ask! Have to confess I just removed the word 'Anyway' from the start of that last sentence
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Whatever' = most annoying word in English Language

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Ok, a new poll investigating the most irritating words and phrases says that 'whatever' is the most hated word among both sexes, all age groups, educational levels and incomes, and in all regions.

The top 5 was actually:

1. WHATEVER
2. YOU KNOW
3. IT IS WHAT IT IS
4. ANYWAY
5. AT THE END OF THE DAY

To that I would add 'pur-lease' - it drives me mad!

Actually, this has reminded me of a great quote from years ago from Gavin Esler that the two most boring words in the English Language were "Northern Ireland."

What word or phrase really annoys you guys? Or dare I ask! Have to confess I just removed the word 'Anyway' from the start of that last sentence
"It's not rocket science"
"Know what I mean"
"I mean"
"Like"
"Think outside the box"
"Absolutely"
"Right"
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

My new hate word since being in Australia is "Darl" especially when it's directed at me by a 20+ year old female receptionist in the doctor's surgery (as per yesterday!)
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:59 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You need:

Buzzword Bingo!

Blue Sky thinking... what sort of moron says that, I wonder?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:10 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh at a presentation at my office the other week. The theme of it was how to get from "the muddy bank" on to "the grassy knoll"
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by paulry
I had to laugh at a presentation at my office the other week. The theme of it was how to get from "the muddy bank" on to "the grassy knoll"
OMG.

ARe they going to put you through sniper training?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
OMG.

ARe they going to put you through sniper training?
We did make suggestions
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I loathe 'at the end of the day'. The others I hate are 'meh' or however you're supposed to spell it and a phrase my husband uses that if I had a gun I would surely use it on him - 'grips my shit'. :curse: It's feral.

I'm saying things are 'feral' way too much. I need to stop.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:51 pm

And I turned around to hear and said....

And she turned around to me and said...

And I turned around to her...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:54 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Am i bovered thou?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

24/7 argggggggggg
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:00 pm

Face? Bovvered?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Grow the business' for some reason grates on me.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:02 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

love my MIL but she says something that winds me up a treat: she uses "cut" instead of "switch" or "adjust" in the context of anything electrical, such as "cut the TV on", or "cut the volume up". Cut it down I could tolerate, but up???

at work I can't stand "touch base"
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
love my MIL but she says something that winds me up a treat: she uses "cut" instead of "switch" or "adjust" in the context of anything electrical, such as "cut the TV on", or "cut the volume up". Cut it down I could tolerate, but up???

at work I can't stand "touch base"
The cut thing is rather odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.