Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

Wikiposts

"What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

Old May 29th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

oh Grayling, put your wooden spoon away!

I'm sure your a lovely little old man really
Old May 29th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Shock tactics are the answer.

I would simply have retorted with "Spank my monkey till my arm goes dead"...
LMAO!!

I am ready alot about monkey's these days and there is one of my mate who is planning to keep a pet monkey ...wtf!!
Old May 29th 2009, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I can vaguely remember reacting negatively to strangers approaches in the UK as well, but why I did that and exactly when I stopped is harder to recall. I seem to remember thinking that anyone that tried to talk to you was either after something, an idiot, drunk or a looney, lots seemed to be Irish. It was almost a fear I think, definitely something to be avoided.

I slipped into conversing with strangers here over a few years, it was all part of the new culture that Australia throws at you. I was uncomfortable at first I'm sure, made all sorts of stereotypical judgments about the people trying to chat, then I simply adapted.

I'm now more curious about the barriers that people throw up about this kind of thing. To me it seems that some people are reacting on a whole heap of preconceived ideas and conditioning.

What is wrong with simple human interaction ? Is there a reason why people have to feel superior to others, or is it simply that they dont want to expend the mental energy ? My gut reaction is that it's deep seated fear that people are barely aware of, which is why some of the reactions on here seem to be so hostile.

I guess there is some truth in the saying that Ignorance is Bliss.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That was my thought, too . Poor Grayling. One has to feel sorry for the guy. Or maybe not - he is such a misery guts of his own making.
I don't think G is a misery guts at all - far from it. It's only on BE that he sometimes comes over like that... See where he is coming from, just that I would not dismiss a kid in a supermarket especially when some make more of an effort than they need/could do.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 29th 2009 at 10:54 am.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't think G is a misery guts at all - far from it. It's only on BE that he sometimes comes over like that...
Indeed.

Generally I am very selective about who I bother to converse with.

Supermarket automatons are just one of quite a long list.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I can vaguely remember reacting negatively to strangers approaches in the UK as well, but why I did that and exactly when I stopped is harder to recall. I seem to remember thinking that anyone that tried to talk to you was either after something, an idiot, drunk or a looney, lots seemed to be Irish. It was almost a fear I think, definitely something to be avoided.

I slipped into conversing with strangers here over a few years, it was all part of the new culture that Australia throws at you. I was uncomfortable at first I'm sure, made all sorts of stereotypical judgments about the people trying to chat, then I simply adapted.

I'm now more curious about the barriers that people throw up about this kind of thing. To me it seems that some people are reacting on a whole heap of preconceived ideas and conditioning.

What is wrong with simple human interaction ? Is there a reason why people have to feel superior to others, or is it simply that they dont want to expend the mental energy ? My gut reaction is that it's deep seated fear that people are barely aware of, which is why some of the reactions on here seem to be so hostile.

I guess there is some truth in the saying that Ignorance is Bliss.
I think you've got a handle on the situation. This thread speaks volumes.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:37 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I had someone, dressed as an angel, approach me today, in Indooroopilly shopping centre, asking me if I have sensitive teeth

I replied: "yes, they cry at the slightest thing".....she was lost for words.

Corporate training only takes them so far.
classic
Old May 29th 2009, 3:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They would have more nous than to try and converse with complete strangers simply because it is corporate policy.
Of course they would...nothing like a whopping bit of snobbish generalisation to while away the hours of boredom of your life down under hey G?
Old May 29th 2009, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So why are a lot of Brits rude to shop staff?
Old May 29th 2009, 4:24 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Think it's because we are so used to miserable, grim faced, underpaid brit shop assistants that don't give a toss, and the most you'll get from them is a grunt!

So we come here and it's a huge shock that they are pleasant and want to talk to you!

I done a few double takes at first, now i find it quite annoying.
Old May 29th 2009, 5:55 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Fook off.....
Old May 29th 2009, 7:30 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not just rude to shop staff.

I am also rude to lots of other people

Today I was very rude to a few Horses and Jockeys:curse:

G
Old May 29th 2009, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Think it's because we are so used to miserable, grim faced, underpaid brit shop assistants that don't give a toss, and the most you'll get from them is a grunt!

So we come here and it's a huge shock that they are pleasant and want to talk to you!

I done a few double takes at first, now i find it quite annoying.
Now thats something I do agree with. At times it can be annoying, you dont have to respond though.

Shop assistants and check out people can also be useful for giving you uptodate local information. Last week, my wife learned that there was a local shop having a closing down sale with 75 pct of the local merchandise... apparently due to a 800 dollar a month rise in the rent, So it's not all platitudes. When we shopped up in Port Macquarie, we learned from the check out people, the best restaurants, where the BMX track was, and which whale tours to avoid.

I wonder why people would choose to see them as non human though.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
That was never my experience in England.

I found shop assistants there much more genuine than here.

G
Old May 29th 2009, 10:27 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Amazes me when people get so worked up over this. It's called being civil.

If people were more civil to each other the world would be a better place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.