Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

"What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

Old May 29th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "What are you doing this weekend?" Aaaaaarrrgh

Just say "none of your business you nosey cow" and leave it at that!!!
Old May 29th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Just nipped into a supermarket and a cashier I've never set eyes on before asked me this. I said politely "oh I can't tell you that" and thought she'd take the hint. But no.

"Oh so you can't tell me what you're doing this weekend".

"Correct"

FFS all I want to do is buy my groceries. It's nice to have someone pleasant - but just a please and thank you is fine. I don't want to share personal information with Woolies shop assistants I've never spoken to before.

How do other people react to these encounters?
wouldnt it had been easier if you had told the cashier that you were going shopping at the weekend to buy a new heater as its getting a bit nippy in brisbane.
Old May 29th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

wow how do you react when your hairdresser asks that question?

I find " nothing exciting" usually is acceptable, but if something good is happening (getting married/ going on holiday/dangling from the chandeliers) it is nice to share!
Old May 29th 2009, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, have you any idea how boring it is working on a checkout?? Even in the Uk I made the effort to chat to the checkout girl/guy because they are people too. The cashier you met might have been ordered to ask you that question, but a simple smile accompanied by a 'nothing much' wouldn't have been too much of an effort would it???
Old May 29th 2009, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but it's all so false - and intrusive!
Not when it is a cute 18 year old girl who genuinely wants to have intercourse.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hmm when do you think it's appropriate for someone to speak to you then.

Aften 10 mins, 1 day... 1 week, 1 year ?

It's very easy to dismiss someone if you dont want to converse, but to actually complain about an approach seems slightly weird to me.

I wonder if most people from the UK think like this, I've been away so long I've forgotten.
I find it quite troubling. I really wonder about some expats sometimes...
Old May 29th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Ive got the answer try get the young guy on the till when he asks hows you,are you good say yeah, im good but how good are you there will be no more chit chat after that believe me it works
Old May 29th 2009, 11:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah but it's all so false - and intrusive!
When I worked waitressing or bartending and asked people those types of questions it was because I genuinely am interested in people. It was never "false" and certainly asking someone if they had weekend plans is not "intrusive". Asking for specifics might be, but a general "Got weekend plans?" is just someone in a very boring job trying to be friendly.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that people want to have a chat. Even if it starts off as a routine question it is giving you an opening that you can either use to have a chat if you feel like it, or close with a polite comment. Whenever I have a quick chat they are usually really nice. I have lived elsewhere and seen how it is when people look down as they serve you and I know which way I prefer.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I love that people want to have a chat.
Why the ***** would I want to chat to a kid on a supermarket checkout about what I am doing at the weekend?
Old May 29th 2009, 11:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why the ***** would I want to chat to a kid on a supermarket checkout about what I am doing at the weekend?
Maybe you don't, but what about the lonely pensioner who's only source of human contact is what they get at the checkout?
Old May 29th 2009, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

True. She would be bored senseless...
Old May 29th 2009, 11:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the law, you don't have to and lots don't. However even more do and if the check out operator asks a pleasant question, a simple polite answer doesn't kill.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
if the check out operator asks a pleasant question, a simple polite answer doesn't kill.
Nor does a "piss off and mind your own business" followed by "get a move on and pack my bags instead of sitting there gassing"
Old May 29th 2009, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nor does a "piss off and mind your own business" followed by "get a move on and pack my bags instead of sitting there gassing"
It would if you spoke to me like that.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

did you forget "wench"!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.