Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What are you doing about medical insurance?

Wikiposts

What are you doing about medical insurance?

Old Jun 10th 2006, 3:43 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are you doing about medical insurance?

Sorry I know this has been done to death but we are in a dilemma! We are both 34 with a 2 year old daughter. We have just been looking at health insurance and wondering whether it is worth taking out. We have had a quote (through iselect) for hospital and extras which works out between $170-260 per month which is unaffordable for us. We had another quote for extras only for $56 per month which is much better and includes things like optical, dental, accident and ambulance etc. It might even be a bit lower because we won't have to pay the additional amount for each year we are over 30.

Now the question I have is around the additional amount paid to the government if we don't take insurance out. How much is this and if we were to take out the extras package would we be exempt from this additional payment or is it only if we take out hospital cover?

Does all that make sense? Your advice is welcomed! Cheers!
Old Jun 10th 2006, 12:00 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing about medical insurance?

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Sorry I know this has been done to death but we are in a dilemma! We are both 34 with a 2 year old daughter. We have just been looking at health insurance and wondering whether it is worth taking out. We have had a quote (through iselect) for hospital and extras which works out between $170-260 per month which is unaffordable for us. We had another quote for extras only for $56 per month which is much better and includes things like optical, dental, accident and ambulance etc. It might even be a bit lower because we won't have to pay the additional amount for each year we are over 30.

Now the question I have is around the additional amount paid to the government if we don't take insurance out. How much is this and if we were to take out the extras package would we be exempt from this additional payment or is it only if we take out hospital cover?

Does all that make sense? Your advice is welcomed! Cheers!
We have gone with Medibank I think there called. Once you gain PR the cost does drop. Without PR you go down as a "visitor" category. My self and daughter go down in the first category but because my wife has yet to gain PR she has to have a seperate policy so we are paying double.

Guess the main consideration is if you need an op PI gets you in faster - and to a hospital of your choice.