Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What would your parents do for you?

Wikiposts

What would your parents do for you?

Old May 3rd 2008, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would your parents do for you?

Mine have gone and put their house on the market...

Their cunning plan is to sell theirs and buy ours... then use the equity to fund regular trips to us here...

They have V NICE house that they are prepared to give up in order to 'support' our dream...

I feel really torn between we need to sell and I can't have them giving up their home/ friends/ village life to move into a terrace in town just to keep seeing us/ gradchildren

I have never felt as low as I do right now.
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice
Default Re: What would your parents do for you?

Originally Posted by eddie007

Their cunning plan is to sell theirs and buy ours... then use the equity to fund regular trips to us here...

They have V NICE house that they are prepared to give up in order to 'support' our dream...

I feel really torn between we need to sell and I can't have them giving up their home/ friends/ village life to move into a terrace in town just to keep seeing us/ gradchildren

i dont think they would have siggested it if they didnt want to do it. they clearly love you all very much.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:19 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with confuzzled has said, they wouldn't offer unless they wanted too. Try not to feel too guilty and relish the fact that they'll be able to visit more often
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

FWIW, my parents were going to remortgage thier home last year to enable them (and siblings) to come to Uk if we had ended up getting married there. Luckily we were able to get a prospective marriage visa and get married at home instead (home for me=WA), but they were prepared to.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because it's a very nice house doesn't mean they don't think it's time to move on. I assume they are downsizing which is a sensible move and it probably puts them closer to shops and help etc (judging by what you've said although I obviously have no idea really). Fantastic offer and one my parents would never have considered in a million years had we been in the same situation. What lovely people.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good heavens no. How silly of them. I know we all like to give our kids the earth but at some stage the kids have to get on with their own lives and not be dependent on their parents. I would never have expected, nor accepted, that from my parents.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:46 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eddie,

Well...your parents are grown ups and have been a far bit longer than you. So...don't feel guilty, they can decide for themselves what is best for them. Maybe I sound a bit harsh (don't mean to ) but your parents - if they go through with it - don't want you to feel guilty. And it's not for you to accept or not for that matter whatever they decide.

Miranda xx
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Good heavens no. How silly of them. I know we all like to give our kids the earth but at some stage the kids have to get on with their own lives and not be dependent on their parents. I would never have expected, nor accepted, that from my parents.
wow, a little judgemental arent we? it is their choice- who are we to say they are silly. They would not have made the suggestion if it didnt work for them too. My parents are not rich,but we have never gone without but they dont 'everything' (had generic name toys as kids, bought our own first car, paid for own uni fees etc etc ); conversely- i NEVER accept or borrow money from them, i would rather eat my own foot. Recently for the first time in my 31 year i have to borrow a small amount of money for a short period (wedding expenses- paid for wedding ourselves too) and it nearly killed me.

But their pride is as strong as mine and if they made an offer such as that of Op's parents, i know it would not be offered without them having thought of all the effects etc. If i refused they would be heart broken. Its their choice and clearly something they have given a lot of thought to.
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:17 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007

That is awesome Eddie - awesome! You have some fantastic folks there!!!

My mum would have done that for me, sadly she's gone now.

Don't feel low, just be happy that they love you so much. I'm sure they are wise enough to know what they are doing.
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Good heavens no.
I too would say a big NO, dont let them do it.

They sound like they terribly miss you and your children, but suppose in 2 years time you decide to move back to UK, suppose other family members get uptight about this plan and it causes a huge family rift, suppose your parents later regret their decision and it causes you to fall out.

Moving to australia is already too often a recipie for extended family relations to become strained without plans as drastic as that one!
Old May 4th 2008, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Have spoken further to them about this... they are not 'doing us any favours' apparently.

Their attitude is .... your house is on the market, we want to buy it....

They have been talking about downsizing for years and now tell me that they only kept their house BECAUSE we were all still local... They want to "adventure before dementia" with their savings that have been tied up all their lives in porperty..

we have a cheap house for sale in the uk... in the town centre with all facilities within walking, free bus services and churches nearby... They know it, the animals they have know it and now they want to buy it...

My only worry now is that my Dad (squeaks when he walks) doesn't play on my daughterly feelings to drive a hard bargain....
Old May 4th 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Ms_Fi will become famous soon enough

Sounds as if it'd be a great move for all concerned - certainly for your parents they be getting a property they know and they would know that it's been looked after properly (or at least wouldn't be worried what was being hidden from view!!).

If this is what they want to do then let them, it sounds like they've thought about it long and hard and are doing this for all the right reasons.

Could you sell it to them without using an estate agent? That would save some money for you.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie, you have had your property on the market for a long time now which has given your folks plenty of time to consider what is best for them! They have obviously made a well thought through decision please don't beat yourself up about it! As a community nurse in a rural environment, their reasons make perfect sense to me & you know it too!
Enjoy that they will be able to visit & you know your former house will be in good hands
Old May 4th 2008, 5:42 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Thats brilliant, it sounds like they know what they are doing and not just doing it as a favour. They will be able to visit you more often and have some money in the bank as well as getting a house that they know. It sounds a great idea to me.

Joex
Old May 4th 2008, 6:44 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

My parents offered to do this for us as their house would definatley sell b4 ours does. There's is in a lovely little close and we are on a huge housing estate! Problem is my dad is in the middle of a bit of DIY which is taking a bit longer than expected
My mum loves our house & would move like a shot.
If its something they want to do for you then let them Sounds like you will be doing each other a favour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.