What would you do?

Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would you do?

jeez
That sounds like a mess. Best of luck with it
Old Feb 28th 2007, 4:25 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Also, you should stipulate a period of waiting (using your legal advantage to pressure the vendors into agreeing to this) so as to see whether or not the plans are rejected due the heritage nature of the land?
Well the plans aren't going to be signed off until a study is complete and that could be this year .. hopefully... said the RTA. There's no way we can delay that long unless we pull out.

It's all a bit confusing really.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:02 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
The f***ers I'm buying my house off...

well for a start, they didn't declare that there was a council order for the 'new people' (us) to connect to the sewer within three months of buying. Fair enough, let's get a quote and they can pay half.
So we got a quote for $12k, to do said job. The vendors are going to pay $6,500 and we have this written in to the contract. In the meantime we find another quote, for $8K, and we could find another for less. That's fine, because the vendors are paying for most of it now, unbeknown to them.

This morning I get a letter which tells us that the highway is going to be widened right past the house. We were told there were no plans to widen the highway. Given the Heritiage listed nature of the house we're currently checking whether the plans still stand. They were made in 1970 and 1972.... It's possible the heritage listing came in after that and that the plans won't be allowed.

The plans state that they want to take an 8ft by 8ft corner of our block and pay us for doing so. That's fine, but it appears this will mean we'll have a 4 lane highway going past our house.

This was not disclosed to the vendor's solicitor, which now means that the vendors have twice broken the contract conditions...

I still love the house and the land but FFS! We are seriously considering asking for a massive price drop or backing out completely.

Any input gratefully received.

Seriously dom't continue. I have been through a similar scenario. Our solicitor told us not to continue. But then it is your decision and we can only give our opinions. Good luck mate xx
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ipom

Firstly OMG how much energy do you have??? I feel tired just reading all your posts, you sound like you've been rushing round for days.

I'm glad things are looking more positive re the house and like others have said only you and your family can decide wether you still want to go through with this or not?

I'm probably not going to help matters here but although it's not complete doom and gloom it doesn't sound to me that your getting any verbal guaruntee's that the worst won't happen, and if you were we all know how good verbal guaruntee's are don't we? IS anyone prepared to put down in writing this won't happen?
Sorry I wish I could be more positive for you it's just i'd hate to think you had to put your heart and soul into some big fight to keep all your land and prevent a bigger road right outside your front door.
Hope your not cross I don't know you really well so i'm going on how i'd feel.
But make no mistake whatever you decide be happy for you

Best of Luck

Jen
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Right, here's the plan of action.

Tomorrow morning, we're going to call the agent and explain to him that we want to view the house again so that we can see exactly which part of the front garden is going to be taken in the proposed 'land grab' by the RTA. It's an 8ft by 8ft grab to allow for the curve of the proposed road.
I need to see exactly where that's going to come to because imagining it isn't helping. If I can see how close to the house the proposed road is going to be, it will help me make a decision. Tape measure and spray chalk coming with us, just to make an impression on the owners too.

In the first place, this house is set back from a busy road.
However, we chose the house because it had huge WOW factor and it sits on an acre of beautiful land, with more to the back that can never be built on.
I need to see, given the possible road expansion, whether the house still has that WOW factor, or whether the possible road encroaches onto that.

The chances are that the road may never be built and it could be that Mt Vic will be bypassed completely, by a new road. This is one of the things they're investigating.
However, that is a gamble... and I'm not sure it's one I'm happy to risk ...

if the road goes ahead, the property value will go down, the house will be a less desirable place to live.
If it gets bypassed, the property price would rise.... it would be a lovely place to be.

I have looked into claiming compensation for our costs and we think it would be too expensive and frankly, not worth the hassle. We would be able to recoup the money back within a few months of renting. Yes, major hassle, but not one as big as being in a house we can't sell with a big fat road going past in 10 yrs time.

If the agent had told us 'Yes, there are plans for a road and it's going to go here' and showed us, it's highly unlikely we'd have offered on the property.

So, we'll call the agent tomorrow. Of course, it's going to put the complete shits up the vendors and for the trouble they've caused us, a little part of me will quite enjoy their discomfort whilst we decide what to do. We'll see if they offer any incentive to push our sale through too.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hey Ipom

Firstly OMG how much energy do you have??? I feel tired just reading all your posts,

Luckily, lots.

I agree about the written guarantee ... we're not going to get one of those.

We'll walk through this property again and see what our gut and sense says.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:47 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with JenJen.

Another thing would be what if you bought the house and then wanted to sell in a few years. Would it be difficult to sell if your buyers found out about the potential plans.

Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:50 am
Account Closed

It would be extremely difficult to sell Suzy... but we're wanting a house we can live in until we're old and knackered... we don't want to move - so in some respects that's not so much of an issue... but yes, if did need to move, for whatever urgent reason, then we'd be in deep doo doo.

My hub's feeling is that we should pull out, simply because all this seems too difficult and it shouldn't be this difficult. Too much shit happening from the start doesn't make him feel any good, and I agree.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

It would be extremely difficult to sell Suzy... but we're wanting a house we can live in until we're old and knackered... we don't want to move - so in some respects that's not so much of an issue... but yes, if did need to move, for whatever urgent reason, then we'd be in deep doo doo.

My hub's feeling is that we should pull out, simply because all this seems too difficult and it shouldn't be this difficult. Too much shit happening from the start doesn't make him feel any good, and I agree.
Follow your instincts I reckon. My bet is that your true instincts (i.e. ruled by your mind) are saying "NO!" but that your heart is saying "YES!"? Instinct originates in the mind if you ask me.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:05 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you going through feeling quite optimisic and positive one minute and negative the next??? I feel really bad for you it's bad enough moving house anyway but with all this sh*t. I'd definately make the vendrs squerm but then i'm an evil moo.
Any chance you can send me soem of your energy I seem to have run out?

Jen
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Thyroxine tablets.

It's a bit up and down, yes, but hey, it's just a house. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
We're just reviewing some houses on the internet.... just in case.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 7:54 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

oh well, good luck with whatever you decide. but on the plus point, you hold all the cards so at least you can't be pushed into something you don't want to do on the legal front.

louise
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:36 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you don't know whats will happen in a few years, you might want or have to sell for some unknown reason.

It would be extremely difficult to sell Suzy... but we're wanting a house we can live in until we're old and knackered...
Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Indeed... we've thought of that. There are reasons it didn't sell... crappy kitchen, too much restoration to the outer buildings... It's a lot to put people off.

Have spoken to our solicitor this morning. She's ringing the agent and he is going to organise a viewing without the vendors there... so we can see what the road situation would be visually.

I'll update this when we've done that.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed... we've thought of that. There are reasons it didn't sell... crappy kitchen, too much restoration to the outer buildings... It's a lot to put people off.

Have spoken to our solicitor this morning. She's ringing the agent and he is going to organise a viewing without the vendors there... so we can see what the road situation would be visually.

I'll update this when we've done that.
Hi ipom

So sorry for what you are going through! I am a great believer in fate and if this does not happen for you, no doubt further down the line there will be a reason why....

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me, obviously you know the bigger picture, but is there a possibility others have come as far as you in the past and backed out, hence the lengh of time on the market, I know you mention other reasons for non-sale..but 4 years, I would say something more to this than meets the eye!

Good luck with your decision.

Nikki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.