What would you do?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you do?

Originally Posted by JenJen
Logically Ipom I suppose what you need to decide is do you love teh house enough despite all these added expenses and issues to live there with a massive road right outside your front door????
Or do you think you'd be able to find a house which ok maybe isn't your dream house (get the impression house wise you love this one?) but will be a better option all round i.e nice house, good garden, quieter location.

Only you and your family know but I really do wish you the best of luck deciding what to do, sounds like your in a horrible situation but I htink if you wanted to you'd have every right to back out.

Jen
No. If the road plans are going ahead, we'll pull out of the house buy. And we'll sue them for our costs to date unless it costs us too much to do that.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:49 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
No. If the road plans are going ahead, we'll pull out of the house buy. And we'll sue them for our costs to date unless it costs us too much to do that.
Can't you sue them and add onto that the costs of sueing them lolll
Oh and then make sure they can never move from there by making sure everyone knows about it?????

WHat on earth is wrong with people nowadays, I guess they saw it as their only chance of moving before a massive road got shoved in.
I'm sorry Ipom I hope it all gets sorted out.

Jen
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:55 am
Account Closed

Well we'll wait and see what the solicitor says in the morning. She's been on to the RTA apparently so she may have good news. Then again, she may not. Bit of a drag, but hey, if we pull out, it obviously wasn't meant to be.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:10 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

What a total bummer iPom. That house looked so beautiful too. FWIW I would pull out.

7 years ago when we were looking for a house (in the UK) we found a gorgeous brick and flint cottage. There was a small nature reserve behind it where the locals in their own time had nutured it and kept it clear of weeds.

6 weeks down the line we found out that the nature reserve had a proposed tender from a builder for 16 small houses to be built. The cotttage owner had not disclosed this as the council had said the house building plan was not definite and could be in 6 mths or 6 years subject to this, that and all the rest of it.

We pulled out of the purchase as having that hanging over our heads would have been a nightmare. We found another bigger, better located house and the building has now started on the nature reserve 7 years later. The cottages have gone right down in value and the disruption is horrendous.

It seemed like stress city when we pulled out of the purchase but we are so glad we did.

Maybe the house isn't meant for you and another better one is round the corner even though it might not seem like it right now.

Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Thanks Suzy. I hear you - thanks for sharing your story... and I agree. Much as I love this house (we recently found out it was the very first block of land to be divided in Mt Victoria and that it was the first schoolhouse in the area, so it's really very special) I will walk away if it's not right.
Seems a pain, but actually, we'll recover financially from it in a few months of renting because our rent is so darned low compared to income etc.
I've already sorted a short list of houses to view should it be bad news in the AM.
Moving half way round the world ... well, why buy a turkey after all that effort.

Thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure ghosty man was pulling your leg very entertaining though. If you lose this one a better one will come along I'm convinced. When we were trying to sell our flat, it took us 4 sodding years and some of the houses we saw every time we had a buyer were fab. Finally sold it and found our old house which was not great to look at but superbly built, loads of space both inside and out and cheap because it was in a bad state of repair and part of divorce settlement. All the others didn't hold a candle to it so it was definitely meant to be.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:23 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ipom, def agree with the pulling out bit if you're not happy, we found a house after months of searching in the uk that fitted us like a glove, the sellers were being prats and in the end we pulled out.

a few months later we found out that the lovely green area behing the houses (which couldn't be seen from the road) that we thought would make an ideal transition stage before allowing the kids out onto the mean streets was actually full of drunk idiot teenagers most week ends and the poor people living there were having terrible trouble with them.

it broke my heart at the time but things really do happen for a reason, even if we can't see it at the time. best of luck if you do have to look for something else.

louise
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I am sure ghosty man was pulling your leg very entertaining though. If you lose this one a better one will come along I'm convinced. When we were trying to sell our flat, it took us 4 sodding years and some of the houses we saw every time we had a buyer were fab. Finally sold it and found our old house which was not great to look at but superbly built, loads of space both inside and out and cheap because it was in a bad state of repair and part of divorce settlement. All the others didn't hold a candle to it so it was definitely meant to be.
I actually found a house I really wanted to move to, but hub wouldn't move there... He reckoned it was too down market. Months of speaking to people about the area has proved that yes, it used to be a bit dodgy, but the folks that lived there were onto something. It had half an acre at the back. It's still for sale....
Perhaps some things are meant to be and others are not. We'll see, eh?

Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:29 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Why buy a turkey? You deserve so much more.
I have to agree with Dorothy on this one, I would not want a 4 lane highway running past my house - I'm sure it would take away all those things you fell in love with. Even if this was not acted upon I wouldn't want it hanging over my head.
Good luck whatever you decide
J x
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
The f***ers I'm buying my house off...

well for a start, they didn't declare that there was a council order for the 'new people' (us) to connect to the sewer within three months of buying. Fair enough, let's get a quote and they can pay half.
So we got a quote for $12k, to do said job. The vendors are going to pay $6,500 and we have this written in to the contract. In the meantime we find another quote, for $8K, and we could find another for less. That's fine, because the vendors are paying for most of it now, unbeknown to them.

This morning I get a letter which tells us that the highway is going to be widened right past the house. We were told there were no plans to widen the highway. Given the Heritiage listed nature of the house we're currently checking whether the plans still stand. They were made in 1970 and 1972.... It's possible the heritage listing came in after that and that the plans won't be allowed.

The plans state that they want to take an 8ft by 8ft corner of our block and pay us for doing so. That's fine, but it appears this will mean we'll have a 4 lane highway going past our house.

This was not disclosed to the vendor's solicitor, which now means that the vendors have twice broken the contract conditions...

I still love the house and the land but FFS! We are seriously considering asking for a massive price drop or backing out completely.

Any input gratefully received.

Ipom, so sorry to hear of your troubles. When we arrived in Sep, the rental situation was very bad and we took a rental just so we wouldnt have to leave town. It was on a busy road and the house was abt 12ft in the air, (on steel poles). The result was that every time a lorry passed, the house shook and this went on all throuh the night. We had paid 6mths upfront and walked away after 4 just to get out. The stress wasn't worth the hassle so I cannot imagine living next to a 4 lane express. Walk away! You'll get a better one soon as we did. Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 11:52 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all the above posters Ipom. although you might let your heart rule your head initially in the long term it would be better to clarify everything and either walk away saying "stuff it". or no that you have checked everything and its all aboveboardand there are no more skeletons hiding in the cupboard keeping the ghost company
Old Feb 27th 2007, 12:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'd walk away. You have to ask yourself, given that as you said they've been trying to sell for four years, and are thus probably pretty desperate ... what other little 'secrets' they've failed to divuldge about the property. Buyers market mate ... make the most of it.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Have no idea about NSW property law (you obviously do and must know you can now back out). But people coming out here need to be very aware that contracts here are not like the UK, you cant get a few weeks/days/months down the line and just end the agreement. Like in qld you have 5 days to cool off, then say 14 for finance/building then its yours like it or not. If you failed to find something out like in this case a road widening thats your problem.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have no idea about NSW property law (you obviously do and must know you can now back out). But people coming out here need to be very aware that contracts here are not like the UK, you cant get a few weeks/days/months down the line and just end the agreement. Like in qld you have 5 days to cool off, then say 14 for finance/building then its yours like it or not. If you failed to find something out like in this case a road widening thats your problem.
Yes, they're usually pretty watertight... but in this case, the vendors are duty bound to disclose everything they know about the property to us and they haven't, therefore the contract is now void. Haven't spoken to the conveyancer yet... but will update this when I do.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Ok, the RTA say that as the plans were drawn up in '72, it's 'unlikely' they are going to be followed through. Nothing is going to be done for 5 years and probably more like 10. Now they're talking about taking the highway to an entirely different route to bypass Mt Victoria, but they're not sure. It could be done, it might not be, but no-one can tell us for sure.

I have to now go to the heritage guy at the council and speak to him to see if it would be ok to widen the highway or whether there would be ways of stopping it due to the heritage nature of the whole village.

If we want to back out, our solicitor will rescind the contract and she says they may kick up a fuss but they haven't really got the grounds to do that.
All the other searches are back and they show nothhing else untoward.

Onto the Heritage guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.