Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

Old May 5th 2010, 7:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will/do you NOT miss from the UK?

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Sounds like a plan to me

We could always have our own island - what can we call it?
Herring Island
Old May 31st 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Weather reports that say "The next three days will be sunny". (Bank holiday weekend)

Haven't seen a ray of sunshine for two days now.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 31st 2010 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:56 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

I DO NOT miss the UK or anything from it...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:01 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
I DO NOT miss the UK or anything from it...
WHAT ABOUT BISTO?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:04 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
WHAT ABOUT BISTO?
Oh I never tried Bisto! I remember those cheesy Bisto family ads though...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
WHAT ABOUT BISTO?
You can't get Bisto in Oz???

Oh well.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:09 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest I do think it is down to where you live. I hated where I lived and even if I had the money to move to the smartest part of London, the attractions that so many love, don't do it for me.

I lived in London until I had my daughter. I loved living there at the time, but I wouldn't move back there now, even if I had the money.

My stepdaughter is a student in London, and we go up to see her regularly. I always breathe a sigh of relief once I get back down here. London seems so dirty and noisy.

I actually never thought I'd say this - I used to love the buzz!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's got me asking myself quite a few questions, especially as I spend a lot of time on my London board. Their attitudes really counteract these, and I'm asking myself why. ? I'm very interested in various views as I'm South London born and bred, for some strange reason I feel my heritage niggling away at me (probably because I left at such a young age 23/24). So I look closely at all relevant thoughts.

Could it be that the majority of people that post on my London Board who say they are happy and think they live in the best place in the world... South London Cough, even I larf at that one.. !!! are insular, deluded ? Kidding themselves, easily pleased ?
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp, I'm not sure I would, maybe if I had 2 million quid under my belt. One further thing I'll point out though is the reason I really enjoy going on my London board, is the views on there make a great contrast to the majority on here. It's refreshing to see people happy with their everyday lives in the UK. It's a written example of the 66pct of people that dont want to leave the UK.

I'm saying that as a person who's pendulum on the sitting on the fence swing meter is firmly back on the Aus side at present.
Ozzie - there is a certain breed of Londoner especially in the colourful south that knocks London but loves it. It's just the ins and out of a life. The pub, the job, the laughs. A sort of pride in their day to day existence.

To be honest, I grew up on the edge of London, but I was never really a London 'boy'. Besides, my part of London did not have that rough edge about it. It was established well to do suburbia. I'd happily live there now - as it's more interesting now, but Australia has introduced me to a more rounded way of living which I've in turn become acustomed to.

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Ive never heard resident Londoners say that its the best place in the world. Everyones runs the place down.
Most of the people I knew who loved London had done very well and were well ensconced (and had bought for a song, relatively speaking) in areas that were a mixture of smart, safe and established but with a little bit of cool too. A real sense of being in the better half of town. Not staid, not privileged but great. Fulham. But not Chelsea. Even Clapham mid 90s onwards. They can afford to put up with pollution, and the rush hour because the rest of their 'material' life is so rich.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing about UK that really bugs the heck out of me is the need for a degree in recyclology - what the heck is it with the 5 bins and 3 boxes and why on earth do you need to take the windows out of window envelopes and not sort the brown envelopes (without windows of course) with the white envelopes and put the big white envelopes somewhere completely different as well. The recycling laws have got my aged parents paranoid so that if something accidentally (due to recyclingly challenged daughter) gets put in the wrong box/bin they are out there frantically scrabbling to get it in the right bin for fear of being fined. Why can they not do as we do here - one yellow bin for everything to recycle and a green bin for all rubbish. It may be just Cambridge but their guidelines run to about 68 pages. Utter garbage!

What do I miss - pretty much everything else!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by quoll
The one thing about UK that really bugs the heck out of me is the need for a degree in recyclology - what the heck is it with the 5 bins and 3 boxes and why on earth do you need to take the windows out of window envelopes and not sort the brown envelopes (without windows of course) with the white envelopes and put the big white envelopes somewhere completely different as well. The recycling laws have got my aged parents paranoid so that if something accidentally (due to recyclingly challenged daughter) gets put in the wrong box/bin they are out there frantically scrabbling to get it in the right bin for fear of being fined. Why can they not do as we do here - one yellow bin for everything to recycle and a green bin for all rubbish. It may be just Cambridge but their guidelines run to about 68 pages. Utter garbage!

What do I miss - pretty much everything else!
Must be a Cambridge thing!

Here in Surrey:-

Green wheelie bin: for paper, cardboard, glass, plastic (recycle only).

Black wheelie bin: for landfill rubbish, general black bags etc...

Green wheelie bin with brown lid: for garden compostable waste, lawn, trimmings etc...

Small green bin for bones, food scraps etc... (we refuse to use this).

But yeah, there are at least four different bins.

Never had to take the plastic windows out from envelopes.

I like the word "recyclology".
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:41 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I do NOT miss the people from the UK who werent actually English...

Yes I'm talking about the weird welsh and the scary scots...not forgetting the idiotic irish...

Everything else was cool
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SDDep
I do NOT miss the people from the UK who werent actually English...

Yes I'm talking about the weird welsh and the scary scots...not forgetting the idiotic irish...

Everything else was cool