Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?

What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?

It was 25 yrs ago today that the "Big storm " hit Britian ..... do you remember where you were ? and what you were doing ?

Bloody Micheal Fish
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?

Originally Posted by lelchelle
It was 25 yrs ago today that the "Big storm " hit Britian ..... do you remember where you were ? and what you were doing ?

Bloody Micheal Fish
In bed with a broken arm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hanging onto a lampost !!!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:11 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to get some silly woman off a lamp post,n she wasn't wearing knickers
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lelchelle

Bloody Micheal Fish
Lying in bed in Brighton listening to the tiles falling off the roof and smashing outisde the window........while my fiance lay snoring next to me, oblivious to everything!!
Attached Thumbnails What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-brightin-beach.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-brighton.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-hove-1.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-hove-2.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-st-peters.jpg  

Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

I wasn't born! I'm 25 on Wednesday! I remember my parents telling me about it though
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was probably shagging - I'd only been married for 13 days.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in a bookshop in central Brighton at the time. My boss tried to claim she couldn't come to work cos she couldn't get her car out so my fiance took his landrover up there and bulldozed the trees out of the way We then spent the day sweeping broken glass and shattered plastic out of the shop - we had no damage but the bingo place opposite lost its signs which then blew under our doors in a million pieces!
I also remember very clearly being in my local that night and drinking beer by candlelight while swapping stories - no houses around had their power restored by then and the pub was packed!!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Trying to get some silly woman off a lamp post,n she wasn't wearing knickers

Aww that was you Bernie ? what a gentleman
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt

Aww that was you Bernie ? what a gentleman
By the way when i told you i hadn't looked,well i lied,i kept one eye open
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember that much about it, was still at primary school at the time / was 9 years old. Lived in the North of England which wasn't as bad hit as the South.

Didn't realise there were so many oldies here
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:21 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Jon77
Can't remember that much about it, was still at primary school at the time / was 9 years old. Lived in the North of England which wasn't as bad hit as the South.

Didn't realise there were so many oldies here
Some of us are truly ancient, trust me!!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to get out of our drive. There were 6 trees across it.
A few days later we got as far as the road, but it didn't go very far.

No electricity or phone for about 12 days. So no heating - the oil boiler needed electricity to run.

Took several days before we got into work and then we could bring home thermos flasks full of hot water.
Attached Thumbnails What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-storm-1.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-storm-2.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-storm-3.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-storm-4.jpg   What were you doing 25 yrs ago ?-storm-5.jpg  

Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:25 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by lesleys
Trying to get out of our drive. There were 6 trees across it.
A few days later we got as far as the road, but it didn't go very far.

No electricity or phone for about 12 days. So no heating - the oil boiler needed electricity to run.

Took several days before we got into work and then we could bring home thermos flasks full of hot water.
Fantastic pics

By Aussie standards it was probably the equivalent of a high Cat 1 or low Cat 2 cyclone, probably the start of my future career too

For those too young to remember it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Fantastic pics

By Aussie standards it was probably the equivalent of a high Cat 1 or low Cat 2 cyclone, probably the start of my future career too

For those too young to remember it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987
We had to wait for the army to clear the roads around us. We managed to get a camping stove and eventually found a generator to hire, then the power came back. We bought a generator after that and it got used a fair few times.

I seem to remember something about the stock market as well about that time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.