Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??....

What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??....

Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future
Default Re: What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??..

Originally Posted by mr mover
You have problems , listen to talk back...or for a taste of Australian life listen to ABC 891.............mm
Thanks Mr Mover, you have solved all of my "problems"
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??..

Originally Posted by lee_h
hi

If we are still talking about services, what about the radio stations? Are they aimed at anyone below the age of 16? And if they are, why are they always swearing? Or are they aimed at adults with the mentality of a child? Every time i accidentally have the radio on in the car, i can feel my brain gradually turning to porridge. i'm not looking for serious issues all day long but some of the so called "jokes" are similar to what i would hear from my 10 year old. THANK GOD for uk radio podcasts. When will Australia make a radio programme for people that :
1. Have left school
2. Are old enough to not want to hear swearing every 10 minutes
3. Don't feel the need to be told a joke every 5 minutes
4. Can't stand the dizzy aussie chick presenter that sounds like she is about to laugh ALL the time
5. Would like to hear a song that they have never heard before....god forbid!
6. Don't want to hear 8 year olds calling up with the hope of winning something and getting so excited that they almost wet themselves

AARRRrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

ooh i needed that rant.
I actually find that those popular Australian radio programmes seem to be based on the generic model that was initially introduced by Chris Evans/popular radio in Europe. Sort of flash, self-aware, childish wit. 'Look at us - we're a bunch of c** buts it's OK - its radio'

I don't listen to any of them in the morning.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 21st 2008 at 10:15 am.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Originally Posted by shirlw
Order from M & S and have it shipped out !
Prior to ordering do a google (uk) search for discount codes for shopping at
M & S and you might find one for money off. If you still have a uk bank account and intend to do shopping over the internet open an account with one of the cashback sites ie Quidco/Mrs Cashback and they will give you at least another 5% of your order.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

Of course Petrol stations sell sandwiches, but they are like the ones your mum used to make in the 1970s with white bread and loads of butter.

JTL[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just my Mum that did that!! I can't stand butter now.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Supermarkets don't do Sandwiches...

Its a weird thing to miss, but back in the UK I'd always pop down to Tescos or M&S to get really nice well made sandiwches for lunch.

Not here. Even in Brisbane CBD, you have to go to a frikkin coffee shop to get nice sandwiches,

Of course Petrol stations sell sandwiches, but they are like the ones your mum used to make in the 1970s with white bread and loads of butter.

There was one decent Sandwich shop on George street in Brisbane, it used to be called 'Grab and Go' and it was exactly what I wanted. Now its changed itself into yet another coffee shop, so I have to queue behind 5 people ordering the thick skinny latte tall moches with sprinkles, just to buy a sandwich.

JTL
Wow. Just shows you how different we can all view things. I'm from Brisbane and the thing I missed the most when living in the UK was a decent sandwich. I found the sandwiches very bland, hardly any salad on them, usually just meat and cheese or something like that. The one's in Tesco's or M&S were not much better. I missed the huge variety of fillings you could get on a sandwich here....to me the fact that a lot of places served them with crisps just added to the unhealthy aura the whole sandwich buying experience left me with in the UK. I accepted this as a byproduct of a cold climate where hot meals were the mainstay of people's lives rather than fresh fruit and salads like at home.

I must agree that the clothes I bought in the UK were better than the one's in Brisbane...though being a hot climate we naturally have crap clothes. What can you do with a thin cotton shirt. I think places like Melbourne would have more substantial, and better made, clothing.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
We haven't been here long enough to say this for sure but we're surprised at the lack of family-friendly chain restaurants. So far we've only found Sizzler and a smaller chain Lone Star Steakhouse. Seems like if you want to go eat out you have to settle for fast-food.

I know you can go to the Hotels but usually they're overful with people drinking their weekends away and aren't exactly inviting for a family with young kids. I miss places like Beefeater, or 2 for 1 - the restaurants that were usually attached to the big chain hotels like Holiday Inn and Premier Travel Inn. They were really good value, usually good food, quick service and catered for young kids.

We could be completely missing obvious places but it seems like hard work to get a nice sit-down meal with kids.

The upside is that we've never had so many picnics in our life - certainly saves us a few squid.
We're not a chain restaurant kind of place. People like to eat at normal restaurants, and most of them are very happy for your children to come along. If you've had a few bad experiences with them you should talk to the locals for advice or pickup the restaurant guide, rather than resorting to chain food.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=fish.01;7104054]We're not a chain restaurant kind of place. People like to eat at normal restaurants, and most of them are very happy for your children to come along.

What I dislike are the bistro type restaurants that serve RSL/pub type meals but charge the same as a proper one. All it is is an excuse to employ less and more inexperenced staff.

while I am on the subject WTF is parma all about

John
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

I find there is a lack of children's shops here unlike the UK where there a quite a few.

By us we have the choice of K Mart rubbish or Target slightly better rubbish.

Pumpkin Patch is now open in Joondalup so took my Son there the other day and I did manage to get 2 items but not a good selection for 9 year olds.

Looking forward to having the choice in the UK when we return.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
What I dislike are the bistro type restaurants that serve RSL/pub type meals but charge the same as a proper one. All it is is an excuse to employ less and more inexperenced staff.

while I am on the subject WTF is parma all about

John
Parma? As in Parma Ham? It's a staple food of Italy Don't like it, don't have it, it's hardly an item that's in every dish you find - well it's not in my world anyway. Talking of my world you must have some rubbish RSLs round your way - our closest is a top quality restaurant and only have quality staff and service. If you don't like the restaurant don't go there. I don't understand your post and yet I've replied to it. Hey ho.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Parma? As in Parma Ham? It's a staple food of Italy Don't like it, don't have it, it's hardly an item that's in every dish you find - well it's not in my world anyway. Talking of my world you must have some rubbish RSLs round your way - our closest is a top quality restaurant and only have quality staff and service. If you don't like the restaurant don't go there. I don't understand your post and yet I've replied to it. Hey ho.
Think he's probably referring to 'Parmigiana' (as in Veal Parmigiana - veal with a slice of cheese and parma ham coated in breadcrumbs and fried). Often on the menu in some pubs and clubs and sometimes abbreviated to 'Veal Parmy'.

I reckon if you don't like it - don't order it!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Think he's probably referring to 'Parmigiana' (as in Veal Parmigiana - veal with a slice of cheese and parma ham coated in breadcrumbs and fried). Often on the menu in some pubs and clubs and sometimes abbreviated to 'Veal Parmy'.

Your right, I don't like it and I don't order it, but it seems to be everywhere, Parma and a pot for $10.00 etc.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

you must have some rubbish RSLs round your way - our closest is a top quality restaurant and only have quality staff and service. If you don't like the restaurant don't go there. I don't understand your post and yet I've replied to it. Hey ho.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't think it was that hard to understand

I think a lot of restaurants try to cut back on quality staff and still charge the same as a top notch place and you are right I don't go to those type of places anymore.

BTW our local RSL is rubbish
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC

Isn't Veal just a baby cow? Like lamb is a baby sheep, I wouldn't eat either cos I grew up in a fairly rural area, and saw them almost daily, and you'd have to be pretty hard-hearted to enjoy eating a lamb or a calf, they're too cute. Wait till they've grown up!

JTL
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jond
Your right, I don't like it and I don't order it, but it seems to be everywhere, Parma and a pot for $10.00 etc.
With the Italians being the 4th largest foreign born population group other than the UK, in Mount Martha, it isn't surprising that they cater for Italian tastes.

Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
With the Italians being the 4th largest foreign born population group other than the UK, in Mount Martha, it isn't surprising that they cater for Italian tastes.

Good God, you would be strung up if you insulted an Italian by calling that slop an Italian meal

Strange as it sounds, I don't think I know any people around here with Italian heritage. I don't know of many good Italian restaurants either, there are your usual pizza joints but not any thing other than that, unless anyone can tell me of one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.