Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??....

What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??....

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??..

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
We haven't been here long enough to say this for sure but we're surprised at the lack of family-friendly chain restaurants. So far we've only found Sizzler and a smaller chain Lone Star Steakhouse. Seems like if you want to go eat out you have to settle for fast-food.

I know you can go to the Hotels but usually they're overful with people drinking their weekends away and aren't exactly inviting for a family with young kids. I miss places like Beefeater, or 2 for 1 - the restaurants that were usually attached to the big chain hotels like Holiday Inn and Premier Travel Inn. They were really good value, usually good food, quick service and catered for young kids.

We could be completely missing obvious places but it seems like hard work to get a nice sit-down meal with kids.

The upside is that we've never had so many picnics in our life - certainly saves us a few squid.
I think that all restaurants here are far more keen on having children in them than the UK that you don't need to find places like Beefeater. I used to be stressed taking the kids into nice places in the UK. Always see other people's small children in all sorts of places here. They seem to like children unlike the UK
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What shops/services are you surprised Australia doesn't seem to have much of ??..

Originally Posted by annqldau
Costco would be a god send. Melbourne getting it but only rumors re Brisbane I think.
Well this is the opposite of the question, but I'm amazed you can buy a family newspaper here and in the classifieds section you can check out all the prostitutes.

I mean is that not weird? And they're not exactly subtle, with descriptions like 'shaved, kissable and adventurous,'.

Why didn't they have these ads in the UK when I was 18

Oh thats right, I couldn't have afforded them then

JTL

(not that I pay for them now obviously)
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't been here long enough to say this for sure but we're surprised at the lack of family-friendly chain restaurants. So far we've only found Sizzler and a smaller chain Lone Star Steakhouse. Seems like if you want to go eat out you have to settle for fast-food.

I know you can go to the Hotels but usually they're overful with people drinking their weekends away and aren't exactly inviting for a family with young kids. I miss places like Beefeater, or 2 for 1 - the restaurants that were usually attached to the big chain hotels like Holiday Inn and Premier Travel Inn. They were really good value, usually good food, quick service and catered for young kids.

We could be completely missing obvious places but it seems like hard work to get a nice sit-down meal with kids.

The upside is that we've never had so many picnics in our life - certainly saves us a few squid.
You can take kids anywhere - try any neighbourhood Italian, Thai, Chinese, Fish, steakhouse restaurant etc. I've never known anywhere like that not make children welcome. Obviously you wouldn't take small kids to fine-dining type places but all reasonably priced restaurants are more than used to having kids on the premises. You definitely are not restricted to chain-restaurants.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:20 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Yea, as much as it may make you cringe, it's actually chain-style places we're looking for. We've been to a few independant places and each time it has been a nightmare with long waits and no kid's menus. It's kind of put us off going to those types of places until the kids are a bit older and a bit more patient.

We haven't been to a Hogs Breath yet, we'll give that a go. Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:31 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry. Can't wait for Claire to see this one
OMG!!! Could you imagine it!!!!!

Is it just the way I worded the original thread, do you think Pen??!! X

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Why??? What's so funny????
Maternity clothes is definately not what Im after!!! I was trying to see what expats were surprised not to see here in Australia!!! X
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Yea, as much as it may make you cringe, it's actually chain-style places we're looking for. We've been to a few independant places and each time it has been a nightmare with long waits and no kid's menus. It's kind of put us off going to those types of places until the kids are a bit older and a bit more patient.

I tend to agree with you. We've got two little kids (ages 2 and 4) and our favourite restaurants tend to be Sizzler & Hogs Breath. Our youngest is terrible in restaurants so we need the food to come quickly and they need to have a good variety of food for the kids to choose from.

Sizzler always works well for us because our youngest loves to get up and look around, and that works well there. Plus we can have food immediatley on the table for him. Plus my picky 4 year old can have all the strange things she likes.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Why??? What's so funny????
She has as much intention of needing maternity clothes as I do
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

We LOVE hogs breath..great for kids as they get their own menu and the staff bring colouring stuff to the table. Oh yeah and for adults, THE NICEST steak I have ever tasted, huge, melt in the mouth and no fat.mmmm

Last edited by mooncat; Nov 23rd 2008 at 9:26 am.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:27 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Supermarkets don't do Sandwiches...

Its a weird thing to miss, but back in the UK I'd always pop down to Tescos or M&S to get really nice well made sandiwches for lunch.

Not here. Even in Brisbane CBD, you have to go to a frikkin coffee shop to get nice sandwiches,

Of course Petrol stations sell sandwiches, but they are like the ones your mum used to make in the 1970s with white bread and loads of butter.

There was one decent Sandwich shop on George street in Brisbane, it used to be called 'Grab and Go' and it was exactly what I wanted. Now its changed itself into yet another coffee shop, so I have to queue behind 5 people ordering the thick skinny latte tall moches with sprinkles, just to buy a sandwich.

JTL
I so agree...but hey what about Subway? The bit about Mums sandwiches made me smile....so true too :0)

Jan
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:40 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of another:

A service this time...... The Council doesn't cut the grass in front of your house, it is your responsibility. But they will come a chop down a tree free of charge if it's there (outside your front boundary)

Also we have an electricity pole in our front yard and it is our duty to care for it not energex.

Jan
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Just thought of another:

A service this time...... The Council doesn't cut the grass in front of your house, it is your responsibility. But they will come a chop down a tree free of charge if it's there (outside your front boundary)

Also we have an electricity pole in our front yard and it is our duty to care for it not energex.

Jan
yep, overhead powerlines, hate those things.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Petite clothing.
Limited stuff available and they only usually stock one of each size!
Being 5'1'' and a size 14(apparently the most popular size) I have to wait around to see if they have it available in another store or miss out.
I brought loads of gym clothing from M&S in their sale a few months ago, all petite and excellent quality, happy days

Jacqui
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

On a Sunday and Monday kids eat free in Hogs Breath.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

On a Sunday and Monday kids eat free in Hogs Breath.

If they ate enough would that last them all week

You might be able to tell that we don't have kids
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

I wish that it would last them all week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.