Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What are sex discrimination laws like here?

What are sex discrimination laws like here?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are sex discrimination laws like here?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I think you're making too many assumptions and should probably move on. The teacher they rehired might have been at a time when applicants were scarce. Maybe not, but not fair to assume the one they just hired is probably a rubbish teacher.
In general, I accept you are right. I've had my rant! My last bit though, sadly, is accurate. The recent rehire at her current school is a a duffer and a strange one. From experience in my last UK school however sometimes school do employ just because they are desperate for 'someone'. Ultimately the students education will suffer as a result. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Much appreciated
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

shockingly bad, my wife says no to me sometimes
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

That some people would like to see more male teachers in primary schools is completely irrelevant.

If your wife truly did not get the job because of her sex, and indeed it looks that way based on what you have said, then this is most definitely discrimination and it is illegal.

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlin.../pages/adb_sex

Having said that, you would have to consider what would you gain over pursuing a case.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I dont really get this, your wife got to the last 2 and the other person got the job. End of story really I would have thought, move on to the next job. As has been said if they wanted a man from the start why would your wife have got as far as she did ?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
In a nutshell (my original draft post was much longer!), my wife was interviewed for a teaching job. She unfortunately got the "bad news" call. It was between her and another man. They chose the man. Why? Simply because they wanted a man in the job. THAT WAS IT. The person that called has given some BS about the school having lots of women teachers and they wanted to redress the balance. Er, isn't this just a little bit a case of sex discrimination?

Can we afford a lengthy legal battle - not really. In truth, not at all. But perhaps with a bit of research and evidence we can write something suitably strong to someone. At the very least, someone somewhere needs a slap!

For now I and she because as we all know (don't we?) that is the temporary solution to everything!
It's called positive discrimination. Under equal opportunities, when there is a distinct imbalance, discrimination is permitted to redress the balance and provide opportunites for marginalised groups. In this case the marginalised group in a school is men.

Positive discrimination happens in the UK and Aus and it is usually against men and white people.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
It's called positive discrimination. Under equal opportunities, when there is a distinct imbalance, discrimination is permitted to redress the balance and provide opportunites for marginalised groups. In this case the marginalised group in a school is men.

Positive discrimination happens in the UK and Aus and it is usually against men and white people.
I have just read the Sex Disrcimination Act 1984 and so no such allowances.

There are some exemptions to the sex equality laws, e.g. in acting or to protect decency and privacy (like search officers), but nothing remotely along the lines of redressing an balance of the sexes.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...84209/s30.html
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have just read the Sex Disrcimination Act 1984 and so no such allowances.

There are some exemptions to the sex equality laws, e.g. in acting or to protect decency and privacy (like search officers), but nothing remotely along the lines of redressing an balance of the sexes.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/c...84209/s30.html
It is not in the Sex Discrimination Act. It is covered under the Equal Opportunity (Commonwealth Authorities) Act 1987 and Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012. Each state also has their own relevant legislation.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I must admit I dont really get this, your wife got to the last 2 and the other person got the job. End of story really I would have thought, move on to the next job.
Ordinarily, yes, completely agree...

Originally Posted by chris955
As has been said if they wanted a man from the start why would your wife have got as far as she did ?
Because my hunch is that this is probably like any public sector job - they have to be seen to be doing the right thing and I suspect it was just through plain stupid ignorance that the person who called let slip that they wanted a man for the job! And that's why it is not a case of simple rejection which orinarily of course we can both cope with just fine.

Last edited by Lucas_Dad; Dec 6th 2012 at 10:16 am.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There are some exemptions to the sex equality laws, e.g. in acting or to protect decency and privacy
Like females teachers going into male toilets/changing rooms?

I could see how that could provide an exemption for males if the school is co-ed and in severely female teacher heavy.

I remember about 10 years ago what happened with the Vic Police. The new Chief Commissioner of Police, Christine Nixon used positive discrimination/affirmative action and introduced quotas to increase the number of females in the force. Lot's of better qualified male applicants were rejected in favour of female recruits purely in an attempt to balance the female/male ratio.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Like females teachers going into male toilets/changing rooms?

I could see how that could provide an exemption for males if the school is co-ed and in severely female teacher heavy.

I remember about 10 years ago what happened with the Vic Police. The new Chief Commissioner of Police, Christine Nixon used positive discrimination/affirmative action and introduced quotas to increase the number of females in the force. Lot's of better qualified male applicants were rejected in favour of female recruits purely in an attempt to balance the female/male ratio.
But in this case the other candidate wasn't better qualified.....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie007
But in this case the other candidate wasn't better qualified.....
But we don't actually know that for sure.