Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What punishment would you expect from a school?

What punishment would you expect from a school?

Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What punishment would you expect from a school?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's cop time

do it
Yeah, that.

You've got great advice from Dorothy. Anyway, it's worth having the meeting documented (recorded) especially if/when you proceed with legal action.

And I'd be looking for a new school. That sucks, I know, but you've seen the true colors of the staff and admin of the school now. Do you want to keep paying them tuition? Especially if they're making your son out to be the pariah? It just won't be good down the road.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, that.

You've got great advice from Dorothy. Anyway, it's worth having the meeting documented (recorded) especially if/when you proceed with legal action.

And I'd be looking for a new school. That sucks, I know, but you've seen the true colors of the staff and admin of the school now. Do you want to keep paying them tuition? Especially if they're making your son out to be the pariah? It just won't be good down the road.
I agree. I would be seeking a new school too.

Also, once I had moved them I would write to the Chair of the School Board and the Association of Independent Schools and the head of the particular church the school is affiliated to telling them all exactly why you are moving your children. I would then leave it to the police.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:34 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

Also, once I had moved them I would write to the Chair of the School Board and the Association of Independent Schools and the head of the particular church the school is affiliated to telling them all exactly why you are moving your children. I would then leave it to the police.
mmmmmm.... I think we're on the continued interest list for another school in our area. May be worth a phone call, I think.....

Jules x
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Jules, the teacher telling the kids that the police were coming to talk to them, plus the teacher (? the same one?) telling the kids to keep away from your son "for the rest of the term, at least" are acts of bullying and intimidation by the school against your son and you.

When bullying is not properly handled at a school, it sometimes means that the school has a culture of bullying, including the teachers, principal and other parents, as well as the kids. This means that those who are brave enough to speak out can get frozen out by the rest of the school community. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've heard stories like this. I don't think that the Education Dept will get involved, as it's a private school. What about contacting the Association of Independent Schools http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/, or the Catholic Education people if the school is one of theirs?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:52 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for you
The other family should be ashamed for not even checking your son was ok.
I work in a primary school and the 2 day suspension is about right, although I'm not sure if this is just my personal judgement but he should not be representing the school at all.
I can't believe they are pussyfooting around the other guy - WHY is this?
Has the principal given you the other guys side of the story?
Does it differ from your sons?
Is he aware his staff are giving the other guy a wide berth/giving out confidential information - again WHY?
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/complaints/
http://www.ohsrep.org.au/your-indust...tion/index.cfm
Worksafe/OHS can also advise on whether the principal acted correctly after your sons return to school.
From what I have witnessed, its he who shouts loudest. Threaten to go national if you need to.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
mmmmmm.... I think we're on the continued interest list for another school in our area. May be worth a phone call, I think.....

Jules x
Which school is your son at?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

This!

We are ALL here for you, and will continue to give you and your family LOTS of cyber support.

Ozzio
x
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:11 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This!

We are ALL here for you, and will continue to give you and your family LOTS of cyber support.

Ozzio
x
Thanks again.

We'll see what unfolds today. But the more it drags on, the angrier I'm getting and more determined to get a resolution for my kids.

Jules
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
I really feel for you
The other family should be ashamed for not even checking your son was ok.
I work in a primary school and the 2 day suspension is about right, although I'm not sure if this is just my personal judgement but he should not be representing the school at all.
I can't believe they are pussyfooting around the other guy - WHY is this?
Has the principal given you the other guys side of the story?
Does it differ from your sons?
Is he aware his staff are giving the other guy a wide berth/giving out confidential information - again WHY?
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/complaints/
http://www.ohsrep.org.au/your-indust...tion/index.cfm
Worksafe/OHS can also advise on whether the principal acted correctly after your sons return to school.
From what I have witnessed, its he who shouts loudest. Threaten to go national if you need to.
The boys are supposed to be sitting down this morning to have it out. Although everyone that witnessed the attack have confirmed my sons side of events and even the other boy admitting to doing it.

Whether the school just simply don't see our point of view about not letting him represent the school, or they just don't want a parent dictating what punishment they issue, I don't know.

My son said last night that 'school's not a very nice place to be at the moment, Mum'. Sad, eh?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

The boys are supposed to be sitting down this morning to have it out. Although everyone that witnessed the attack have confirmed my sons side of events and even the other boy admitting to doing it.

Whether the school just simply don't see our point of view about not letting him represent the school, or they just don't want a parent dictating what punishment they issue, I don't know.

My son said last night that 'school's not a very nice place to be at the moment, Mum'. Sad, eh?

Stay strong, you are doing the right thing by showing your children that bullies are not to be tolerated and that includes the boy that hit him, the school that doesn't seem to care and the parents of the child. I would also involve the police and wipe that smile of the smug little s==t that broke his arm. Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:09 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Call the police.

This injury is Grevious Bodily harm. Not sure what it is called in Oz.

The next scale of offence is GBH with intent to cause GBH.

So you don't need an "intent" here to prove the case. It's a broken arm.

If you leave it much longer you are giving the police an out with, "Why didn't you call us earlier." The police (I was one) don't like getting involved in matters that occcur within school grounds MAINLY because they don't get the support of the school. If it was a black eye, I'd say leave it.

This is a serious assault and the kid needs a shot across the bows.

Also, should there be medical developments later as a result of the break, if there is no record on police files you won't be able to take it further.

It could be that the police won't take any action or the kid will get a caution. This can actually work in your favour if there are future complications as, if the kid is convicted now, that's it, end of. But if the incident is recorded NOW and there are more serious developments later, it can still be taken to court later.

If there is no police record, then you have got nowhere to go.

Also make sure that you get copies of medical records and the names of the medical staff dealing. They may need to be witnesses one day.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:08 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

So very sad the poor lad, my heart goes out to him I do hope this morning went well and this guy is showing remorse and begging for forgiveness!!
If school are supporting the other guy - this is giving the wrong message to students that this sort of behaviour is acceptable.
Have you considered what to do if you see the other guy or his family out and about? I only ask as their behaviour would suggest they will do the apologising and expect you to say its all ok ...
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
So very sad the poor lad, my heart goes out to him I do hope this morning went well and this guy is showing remorse and begging for forgiveness!!
If school are supporting the other guy - this is giving the wrong message to students that this sort of behaviour is acceptable.
Have you considered what to do if you see the other guy or his family out and about? I only ask as their behaviour would suggest they will do the apologising and expect you to say its all ok ...
Eventually (after I emailed her) the Head of Middle school phoned me at 2pm to say that the two boys were spoken to - individually and then together by the school counsellor. No teacher was involved at all today.

The other boy still doesn't show much remorse. He said he 'knew how my son felt' as he hurt his arm before, so knows how limiting is can be. He also said (quote) I didn't mean to kick you so hard I broke your arm ......but he DID mean to kick him. My son is still gutted that he gets to miss out on school stuff and his electives and the other boy is off next week on his school jolly.

The Head of Middle school said that they are happy with the outcome and won't be taking things any further with the boys. They'll keep an eye on them around the school, but as far as they are concerned - case closed.

I am penning a letter to the school board now. I just hope that the police manage a knock on his door before they are due to travel next Tuesday - might give him something to think about on the coach ride......
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Eventually (after I emailed her) the Head of Middle school phoned me at 2pm to say that the two boys were spoken to - individually and then together by the school counsellor. No teacher was involved at all today.

The other boy still doesn't show much remorse. He said he 'knew how my son felt' as he hurt his arm before, so knows how limiting is can be. He also said (quote) I didn't mean to kick you so hard I broke your arm ......but he DID mean to kick him. My son is still gutted that he gets to miss out on school stuff and his electives and the other boy is off next week on his school jolly.

The Head of Middle school said that they are happy with the outcome and won't be taking things any further with the boys. They'll keep an eye on them around the school, but as far as they are concerned - case closed.

I am penning a letter to the school board now. I just hope that the police manage a knock on his door before they are due to travel next Tuesday - might give him something to think about on the coach ride......
Oh no it's not!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm local, would you like some one a bit mentally unstable at the mo go visit the school to thrash this out? Might be the therapy i need right now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.