Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What punishment would you expect from a school?

What punishment would you expect from a school?

Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:08 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What punishment would you expect from a school?

Have you spoken to the boys parents at all ? With them being "friends" I would have been round their in a flash. I reckon you should at least make them aware of their kids shitty attitude. Do they think the sun shines out of their kids ass ? probably, so they will also believe the BS that their kid has spouted to them, kids of 13 are very convincing liars !!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:24 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Have you spoken to the boys parents at all ? With them being "friends" I would have been round their in a flash. I reckon you should at least make them aware of their kids shitty attitude. Do they think the sun shines out of their kids ass ? probably, so they will also believe the BS that their kid has spouted to them, kids of 13 are very convincing liars !!
TBH Sel, we haven't. We are concerned that this could be seen as 'intimidation' - you know how people over-react and jump to the wrong conclusion these days If we did take the matter to the police, we wouldn't want them using that against us and wanted to let the school handle it.

From what we've heard, the parents aren't taking it seriously. They've taken him out to lunch and let him out with his mates. With regards to believing the sun shines out of their sons backside, I know that we all support our own, but I think we can tell when they're trying to be smart or stretch the truth. Perhaps they just don't want to see it.

Sad.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
From what we've heard, the parents aren't taking it seriously. They've taken him out to lunch and let him out with his mates. .
Regardless of what he's told them, their son has broken the arm of another boy and been suspended for it. WTF would you take him out to lunch and let him see his mates? They haven't thank god but if either of my girls got suspended they would also be grounded. They're obviously ****wits.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:36 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Regardless of what he's told them, their son has broken the arm of another boy and been suspended for it. WTF would you take him out to lunch and let him see his mates? They haven't thank god but if either of my girls got suspended they would also be grounded. They're obviously ****wits.
Our thoughts appear similar...
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:26 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Eddie,

TBH, I think he is more disgusted that the child (or his parents) haven't even bothered to contact him to apologise or see how he is - and the fact that he is laughing about his punishment and sees it all as a joke. It's also really starting to hack him off now as he realises more and more things that he is unable to do.

My son is very strong and will stand up for what he belives is right and I am proud of him for this. It is a Christian school and we have wrestled with our decisions, but at the end of the day, you cannot condone any type of violence towards another person.

All the Head of Middle school said to him yesterday was asked if he was 'scared or felt threatened' by the other child and was he happy that he was allowed to return to school tomorrow. They are all supposed to sit down this morning and discuss it and clear the air - however the other boy has already said to others that he'll just say sorry (although I won't mean it) and get it over with.

If it was two friends larking about, it would be done and dusted. It wasn't. He has anger issues and has already lashed out previously at my son. As you say, we are worried that he will go on to hurt someone else. It was a girl that he was being rough with at the start.

It's a mess, but I guess we're getting there.

Thanks for all your opinions. It does help to gauge if we're doing the 'right' thing.

Jules x
The bloke that assaulted our daughter had also sexually abused 3 other girls in the area [that we knew of] none bothered informing police as they [parents] put it down to him going "a bit too far" Even the MP's that had investigated an attempted rape of another squaddie's daughter hadn't put him down on paper as a prime suspect despite a positive id from the victim
When we went to police several more came forward with their own accounts of his abuse.
If they had gone to police at the time he would have at least been in the system & would have received a far harsher punishment than a suspended sentence he got for assaulting our daughter.
Sadly that left him free to rape and terrorise his next victim. He's in prison now, a little late for my daughter & the victims that came after her
No one can predict the future but every parent that came up to us after the court case regretted not going to the police. You have to decide if it was simply boisterous behaviour or something more sinister as these things tend to have a way of coming back to bite you.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by cresta57
The bloke that assaulted our daughter had also sexually abused 3 other girls in the area [that we knew of] none bothered informing police as they [parents] put it down to him going "a bit too far" Even the MP's that had investigated an attempted rape of another squaddie's daughter hadn't put him down on paper as a prime suspect despite a positive id from the victim
Cresta, that's awful

Sorry to hear about your daughter's assault.

Reinforces our stance, I think. Sometimes it's braver to make a stand.

Jules x
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I really sympathise with how you must feel. My 6 yr old daughter was punched in the face a few weeks ago by another 6 year old girl and it made her lip bleed a bit. I found out from another parent asking if she was ok.

School never got in touch with me, apparently DD was beside herself and couldn't talk she was crying so much. I wrote a letter to the teacher to inform her as perhaps she hadn't heard (they told the on yard duty teacher but it was near the end of lunch and not sure much was done).

They know I'm a teacher as well......I gave them the benefit of the doubt that perhaps they hadn't realised how bad it was. The child in question has 'issues' and my DD was hazy about why it happened but I really felt that because the child said it was an accident (bystanders and my daughter say deliberate) and because she has 'issues' and her Mum is on the Council, it was just glossed over.

The teacher tried to phone me about it but I was out, then she was on PD for the rest of the week and by then it had lost momentum, no point following up as the child in question wouldn't have remembered.

It did make me feel very frustrated at the time though. In your case I would get the police involved. Older and a much more serious injury.

It annoys me that as the victim, we feel we shouldn't make a fuss. I think the pressure comes from the schools partly - they often don't want to deal with anything tricky that will get anyone uptight with them. Been on the teacher end of that too with heads taking the child's side over the teacher's. It's just wrong!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by itigo
It did make me feel very frustrated at the time though. In your case I would get the police involved. Older and a much more serious injury.

It annoys me that as the victim, we feel we shouldn't make a fuss. I think the pressure comes from the schools partly - they often don't want to deal with anything tricky that will get anyone uptight with them. Been on the teacher end of that too with heads taking the child's side over the teacher's. It's just wrong!
That is how you are made to feel - like we are in the wrong for wanting an explanation for his behaviour and (perish the thought!) an apology with a hint of regret!!

A number of issues here have made us want to take matters further.

J
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cresta, that's awful

Sorry to hear about your daughter's assault.

Reinforces our stance, I think. Sometimes it's braver to make a stand.

Jules x

Don't let my experiences sway you, ours were exceptional circumstances. The point I'm making, quite badly, is that you need to follow your instincts. Boyish rough & tumble or more sinister deviant behaviour, you & your son are best placed to decide that, not some cranky old bloke on the internet.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:12 am

Boyish rough & tumble or more sinister deviant behaviour, you & your son are best placed to decide that, not some cranky old bloke on the internet.
But we based our ENTIRE relocation to the other side of the world based on the Ramblings posted on BE by someone wearing rose coloured glasses; back in the days when the common man could afford bananas and the pound was worth over 2 dollars

(and I wouldn't say you were cranky - but perhaps I don't know you well enough! )
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let my experiences sway you, ours were exceptional circumstances. The point I'm making, quite badly, is that you need to follow your instincts. Boyish rough & tumble or more sinister deviant behaviour, you & your son are best placed to decide that, not some cranky old bloke on the internet.
But the point still stands that if they don't pursue this, then this lad gets the idea that it's ok to lash out in anger on either sex and the chances of that leading to him to beat up anyone, even attacking and then raping women are fairly high I'd have thought.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But the point still stands that if they don't pursue this, then this lad gets the idea that it's ok to lash out in anger on either sex and the chances of that leading to him to beat up anyone, even attacking and then raping women are fairly high I'd have thought.
Well the school refuse to 'add anything' to his punishment. Two days exclusion is all that he will be given. He is participating in the sport carnival today, whilst we spent 2 hours at the fracture clinic with my son nearly fainting

He will NOT be exlcuded from the Prestigious school event (unless he does anything to warranty his exclusion over the next week). My OH did ask the Principal what would warrant that, if breaking someone's bone wasn't serious enough? A stabbing perhaps?

The school asked my son to sit round a table with his friend yesterday to discuss things and clear the air, but his mate wasn't prepared to do this and (in the school's words - was still angry!). My son texted me in tears yesterday to come and collect him as a certain teacher told his friends to 'give X a wide berth for the rest of the term, at least' - again, isolating my son, not the 'attacker'. This staff member also told the witnesses that we had involved the police - I don't think this was his place to do so.

The Principal has arranged to sit down with the two boys tomorrow (should the other boy decide that he's 'up to it') and we'll see how it goes from there. The Principal did also phone me later in the day to suggest that it would not bode well with the other family 'if the police contacted them prior to tomorrow'. I was gobsmacked and asked him 'exactly what are you asking me to do?' as it sounded very much like he was asking me to withdraw our complaint to the Police. Seeing as the school have effectively given him two days off school to do as he likes, it has made us even more determined to follow this through.

I am gutted by the school's apparent lack of support for my son! They have (and I quote), 'made such progress and come so far with this other lad in the last year' that they don't want to do anything to jeapodise this

Angry of Secret Harbour.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:30 am

Just a question - have any of you complained to the school board? Did it do any good?

Won't happen in time for us as the other child heads off next week for his week long trip to Adelaide with the school, I was just wondering if it an option worth pursuing, or just another brick wall to bang our heads against?

Jules
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
if someone kicked you and broke your arm whilst you were sitting down no matter what you said to them the police would arrest them for assault so why is this different because it happened at school?

at 13 this boy knows what he did is wrong
call the police now!
This!!!!!

(Hi Kim!!!!!!)
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

The school is so fricking out of order it's not true. Get on the Education Department now and ask them what the procedure is for you to make the complaint official and how you're being messed about by principal. They have seriously screwed up here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.